Author Topic: The Medical Reserve Corps (MRC)  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Michael Johnson

• Prepper
The Medical Reserve Corps (MRC)
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »
The Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) is a group of like minded preppers that could offer an opportunity to network in your own community and be involved all while spreading the word of Jack. The Mission of the MRC is the ability to respond to public health emergencies or disasters to limit injury, illness, suffering and death.
http://www.medicalreservecorps.gov/HomePage

This is a civilian group of volunteers under the US department of health and human services. It exists all around the country and is organized at the county level so that it can prepare to meet local needs. Volunteers prepare their families for disasters so that if the SHTF, we are not only ready for it, but we are available to support the community with medical support. Jack is an advocates that preppers  stand out in our respective communities  (Episode 173 "do you hide who you are") http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-173-do-you-hide-who-you-are to set a good example for what it means to be survivalist. 

I volunteered with this group when I lived in Nevada and now I am joining the group where I recently moved to near Seattle Washington. The thing that impressed me the most is the groups emphasize on the principles of preparedness. Teaching the volunteers to prepare their families and communities for disasters so we are available to aid the greater community when/if a disaster strikes is a value with which I resonate. If the volunteer is unprepared for an emergency they will be one of the people in need of assistance, unable to help anyone else because they are tied up trying to take care of their own families.

Some of my reasons for joining:
- The group in Nevada offered to pay for some of my medical training, like CPR certification and Advanced Critical Life Support (ACLS).
- Volunteers can be on an alert system to receive text or a revers 911 call if an emergency threatening the local area happens. This could offer me advanced notice about disasters outside the standard media.
- Briefings during the operation could offer details of the disaster other than what goes out by the Public Information officer to the media.

Links:
to my local MRC here in Seattle
http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/preparedness/phreservecorps.aspx

also on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/KCPubHealth

Offline Bones

• Survivor
Re: The Medical Reserve Corps (MRC)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:51:43 AM »
I've been an MRC volunteer here in North Texas for about 4 years. While I agree with most of what Teaspoon posted my reasons for joining were primaily to take advantage of some of the training offered. I've completed the Basic and Advanced Disaster Life Support courses - both of which came with some free continuing medical education credits. I've also picked up all the courses I needed to get certified in Search and Rescue (SAR TECH III). Currently I'm signed up to take the Technician level HAM certification training and test - all this was paid for by my tax dollars through the MRC.

Additionally, we get intel on local health events (flu stats, public health alerts, etc.) and there is the opportunity to meet local like-minded folks. The time committment is minimal and unlike NDMS you have no obligation to go if your unit is mobilized.

My local MRC ran the shelters for the victims of Katrina and Rita. The experience of seeing what it would be like to be a refugee is enough to make anyone into a prepper.  :-\

Offline phlat

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »
Nice link.  Thanks.  Will have to look into this one now that im at the bottom of the medical profession (CNA) now.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:23:16 PM »
I just emailed the director of my local chapter. I guess we will see what comes of this.

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:15:38 AM »
Great information, Teaspoon.  +1.

I am hoping to be in the Seattle area in a few years.  Maybe I'll run into you there.

Doc K

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »
Because of this post I have also emailed my local unit.  We will see what is next

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 12:49:12 AM »
Me and Tracy are set for orientation training on June 20. Seems exciting.

Offline Combat Doc

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
I believe I been hearing commercials on the radio for the MRC. Need to look into them!
Doc

Offline 8

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 10:43:01 PM »
Sounds like a great idea for spreading the word, as well as intel gathering.  I am looking into it, great info! Thanks teaspoon!

Offline Michael Johnson

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
Last weekend I participated in a mass disaster training drill at the 2011 NW Citizen Corps Expo. http://www.nwcitizencorpsexpo.com/
Over 330 people were involved in the day long training both class room and field training. combination CERT, MRC and Ham radio operation. As a nurse with the MRC we set up a treatment area while the CERT teams searched through a mock disaster area at the Washington state Fire Training Academy. the training scenario was an earthquake which is high on my list in the probability of disaster matrix for the area I live. Make up artist applied moulage (see what that is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulage) to volunteer victims. having bloody screaming victims to work on helped training environment feel more real.
This experience was a good test of my preps. My first aid kit was woefully ill prepared. for example Duct tape will now be in my first aid kit due to the shear number of broken and fractured bone injuries. We needed to make a lot of splints and braces for the victims that came through.
vendors included Shelf reliance and the reps where offering pretty big savings at the event.