Author Topic: 30 Day "Bug-In" Checklist  (Read 47005 times)

230therapy

30 Day "Bug-In" Checklist
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »
I am developing my list for a 30 day "bug-in" scenario.  This document is intended to be very practical as a shopping list.  I will add detail as I research this topic.

WATER

Water purification system
Water purification tablets
60 gallons of water

FOOD

48 cans of soup
10 boxes of spaghetti noodles
20 cans of chopped tomatoes
20 cans of tuna fish
5 1 pound cans of nuts

20 pounds of rice
20 pounds of mixed beans
12 MREs

20 Onions
20 potatoes
40 cans of corn and other veggies
40 cans of fruit
2 Boxes of crackers

30 days of dog chow (1 30 pound bag)

COOKING

1 Bottle olive oil
2 Bottles of Mrs. Dash
1 Bottle of soy sauce
1 pound salt
1 pound sugar
Aluminum foil
Wood
Firestarting stuff
Open fire cooking

DRINKS

240 packets of lemonade, punch mix
60 tea packets
Beer
Soda
Bottled Water

MEDICATION

<Insert your medications here>

SANITATION & PERSONAL

5 boxes of Hand Wipes
Shampoo, Soaps
Skin Products
Shaving supplies
Bug spray
Sunscreen

LIGHT

1 Glock light
2 Mag Lights
2 65+ Lumen pocket lights

FUEL & POWER

40 gallons of sabilized gasoline
Batteries

COMMUNICATIONS

2 cell phones
4 field radios

CLOTHING

Seasonal gear
Boots
Rain gear
3 Day pack
Sleep system
Tent

WEAPONS

2 semi-automatic pistols with 10 loaded magazines
2 semi-automatic rifles with 10 30 round loaded magazines
1 12 or 20 guage shotgun
1 22LR caliber rifle

2 Belt holsters
2 Dual magazine holders
2 Folding knives
2 Rifle BOB bags
2 Rifle belt magazine holders
2 Gun belts
Pistol spare parts
Rifle spare parts
500 rounds of pistol FMJ ammunition
500 rounds of rifle FMJ ammunition
2 Hunting knives
1,100 22LR Remington Golden Bullets
100 rounds of 12 gauge birdshot for hunting

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:04:54 PM by 230therapy »

0degreesK

Re: 30 Day "Bug-In" Checklist
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 07:16:22 AM »
How many people is this for?

Offline SymteX

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:04:17 AM »
Where are the condoms???

Just kidding, looks good so far.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »
Keep in mind, if you're bugging in, you're water requirments will likely go down. And you can avoid bathing as much if you're mostly in waiting mode.

tash

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:53:09 AM »
Keep in mind, if you're bugging in, you're water requirments will likely go down. And you can avoid bathing as much if you're mostly in waiting mode.

Quite true. You could get more boxes of baby wipes and use those for a wipe down to minimize the stink.

All in all, good list. +1

230therapy

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »
I'll expand it out a bit with specifics as time goes on.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »
Where are the condoms???

If you don't want kids, they actually are important. I have several friends who where 'Hurricane babies', and several friends who are having them.

Lucretius

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »
I'd add:

Tooth paste
Foot powder

...and for morale (i.e. not going crazy): some unread books and some chocolate bars.... (morale is very important! ;))

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »
Good list.

Add some tampons and/or pads if there are females in your group, or even if there aren't.

Offline Braden

• Prepper
  • Moved out to the country for the lifestyle we want
    • CopperSkink - Your Personalized Preparedness Manual
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 10:57:44 PM »
Where are the condoms???

Actually another good use for them is water storage/transport - they can hold a lot of water in an emergency. The storage space required it pretty much nil, and of course there is the other use mentioned above.
I'm guessing the trick is to have the flavored ones ;-)
Perhaps you would have to use them inside-out where the flavoring is.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
yes....chocolate & tampons are a must....some of us (women) really are simple humans...... :D

tash

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 09:38:53 AM »
I was thinking that you might also want to add a chemical toilet with plenty of gell packs or store a lot of 'grey' water. What goes in must come out.

I would also add candles and matches. Lots of them. They are cheap, both candles and matches. It will definitely safe on the batteries if the power is out.

Just my 2 cents.

Lucretius

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 10:20:46 AM »
Where are the condoms???

Actually another good use for them is water storage/transport - they can hold a lot of water in an emergency. The storage space required it pretty much nil, and of course there is the other use mentioned above.
I'm guessing the trick is to have the flavored ones ;-)
Perhaps you would have to use them inside-out where the flavoring is.

Condoms also makes good protection against water. Keep a cell phone or a radio in a condom when it rains, and you're all good  ;D.
A really good, compact, sturdy container of liquids, is the way I view it.

While hiking with the wife once, she found this big collection of tad pools, which would make a good learning experience for our kids. But alas, we had no way of storing them - until I whipped out the latex  8).

Be careful if you plan to cut this improvised water bladder open though - it will EXPLODE!  :o

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »
I was thinking that you might also want to add a chemical toilet with plenty of gell packs or store a lot of 'grey' water. What goes in must come out.

I would also add candles and matches. Lots of them. They are cheap, both candles and matches. It will definitely safe on the batteries if the power is out.

Just my 2 cents.

Personally I am not a fan of candles except for using them as firestarters. Their hazard to utility ratio is just mind boggling. Might as well just keep a coffee can filled with burning gasoline about for illumination. I like kerosene lanterns for longterm use, even the cheap ones perform well. I keep my Alladin lamps and multifuel lamps boxed for use only in true emergencies. I have been using a 5 gallon can of stabilized kerosene for over 12 years and the cheap lanterns burn just fine with it. I fire up the kerosene lanterns during storms when the power goes out for a couple of hours and keep about 3 dozen in the house and a couple more dozen in storage. I have one battery powered lantern that I use initially when the power goes out to safely light up my way to the kerosene burners. I also use the battery lantern or flashlight when moving about the house in the dark. I think tripping and falling with a lit kerosene lantern would be painful. I tote the kerosene lantern to where I want it then light it.

If you are just ga ga about candles and have to have them, make sure you use a hurricaine glass cover for them or even better, a candle lantern. I think that candles are great mood setters but just crap for decent light and the unprotected flame is just a fire waiting to happen.

tash

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 03:02:40 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

Personally I am not a fan of candles except for using them as firestarters. Their hazard to utility ratio is just mind boggling. Might as well just keep a coffee can filled with burning gasoline about for illumination. I like kerosene lanterns for longterm use, even the cheap ones perform well. I keep my Alladin lamps and multifuel lamps boxed for use only in true emergencies. I have been using a 5 gallon can of stabilized kerosene for over 12 years and the cheap lanterns burn just fine with it. I fire up the kerosene lanterns during storms when the power goes out for a couple of hours and keep about 3 dozen in the house and a couple more dozen in storage. I have one battery powered lantern that I use initially when the power goes out to safely light up my way to the kerosene burners. I also use the battery lantern or flashlight when moving about the house in the dark. I think tripping and falling with a lit kerosene lantern would be painful. I tote the kerosene lantern to where I want it then light it.

If you are just ga ga about candles and have to have them, make sure you use a hurricaine glass cover for them or even better, a candle lantern. I think that candles are great mood setters but just crap for decent light and the unprotected flame is just a fire waiting to happen.

Taylor3006 I think you came off a little strong in this last post. Just because you don't fancy candles doesn't mean they don't have their place. I do believe that the use of candles is inherently dangerous but there are other major causes of fire including cooking, heating, electrical and smoking (in that order). The study I read put candles in at number 5, right above matches and lighters. I'm not trying to argue with you on how dangerous it can be. if used properly it is just like any other tool we have. What happens when your kerosene runs out and you have candles?  I have 3 lanterns myself which can run a variety of gases so I do have an idea of what I'm talking about. Given the context of the list, a 30 day bug in checklist, it's only reasonable to have candles as well as other means of light and heat in our reserves for the situation.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 03:28:38 PM »
How many people is this for?

Ahh, yeah, how many people?

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 03:44:52 PM »
Ehh not sure I was strong enough actually. Use candles if you like, personally whatever floats your boat. I actually do own a few candles (women seem to love to give these as presents) and I have candle lanterns to enclose them in. I also have a silly little tea light lantern that was a gift from a loved one so I hang on to it. Reading from candle light is crap and probably will make you blind. If you want a romantic evening, they are great. I wouldn't want to have to do anything other than have sex or eat dinner by the light of a candle though. Kerosene lanterns, even the cheaper ones, put out decent light, my guess would be 25 - 50 watts. They are not quite as bright as a light bulb and probably someone actually has the numbers. My Aladdin lamp and multifuel lamps are far superior even to the regular kerosene lantern. Standard candles burn quickly, the long burning ones are nice but overpriced. I think the average person is much better served by skipping candles and going with something much better. You can have multiple means of lighting but really, candles are just not worth the effort. I suppose we could all use olive oil burning lamps like they did in Jesus' day, they were the precursors to wax candles, but what's the point? To me you can easily overdo the "right tool" argument but just plain overbuying. You can have a 22 rifle to kill rats, 222 to kill rabbits, a 223 for a battle rifle, a 30/30 for pigs, etc. It all depends on how much crap you wanna have to purchase and put away. Anyways hardly matters, put away candles if that makes you happy. Personally I will go with 19th century technology or better instead of sticking with first century technology.

Lucretius

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »
*Ehum*

...bleach?

230therapy

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »
Everyone,

This is a "bug-in" list...not a "bug-out" list for two people.  It is a list of what's going onto the shelves in my home.  Many of the items people have been recommending are already there.

I like the candle and lantern idea. 

I have a lever action rifle for "public" viewing.  I paid only $250 for it.  It is expendable in the face of confiscation or if required for a trade.  It's nothing fancy.  Ammo goes into a pouch on my belt and doesn't require magazines (less to lose or break).  For a low threat environment, I think this is more than enough gun (along with a concealed pistol and one or two spare reloads).  You may wish to implement something like this.  Patrol the property, work outside, and meet strangers with the "public" rifle...while being covered with the "good stuff". 

They won't see the semi-automatic rifle until they see the flashes :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:53:35 PM by 230therapy »

230therapy

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »
ADD:

Lighting

Candles
Candle holders with covers
Lantern
30 days of refills @ 12 hrs per day

Regarding the tent and sleep system.  Those are in case we have refugees and/or have to leave.  If there's a 30 day emergency, it's quite possible we'll need to leave before those 30 days are up. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:57:17 PM by 230therapy »

Lucretius

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 11:00:03 PM »
Everyone,

This is a "bug-in" list...not a "bug-out" list for two people.  It is a list of what's going onto the shelves in my home.  Many of the items people have been recommending are already there.

Then make sure that you have a lot more than 30-days worth of it at all times!  ;D
And think about how different circumstances would change your consumption - you'll tend to use a lot more candles in a power outage, for example.
Another problem is hygiene and house cleaning if the water fails. Wet wipes, bleach, hand sanitizer can be used, but must exist in bulk. You'll run out quickly if your stash is sized according to normal usage.
Doing dishes can be impossible. One solution is having paper plates and plastic cutlery for 30 days...

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 12:24:10 AM »
if you don't wanna use the paper plates there is another way. Mess kits. eat from them then just dump a little water in it. swirl around and use your fingers to get the food floating. then drink. it may sound gross but it's like taking a bite and rinsing it down with water! i enjoy it :)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 08:13:19 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »
if you don't wanna use the paper plates there is another way. Mess kits. eat from them then just dump a little water in it. swirl around and use your fingers to get the food floating. then drink. it may sound gross but it's like taking a bite and rinsing it down with water! i enjoy it :)

grooo--ooossss!!!!!  sorry, just gross!

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 01:30:41 AM »
kewl thread... will use it and tweak it for personal items. ;D

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 11:08:21 AM »
One glaring omission on this list is a minimum of two, 5 LB.  ABC rated dry chemical fire extinguishers.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »
Don't forget the TP!  I can't tell you how many times I have inventoried my food and camping gear, just to have 2 sheets of toilet paper avaialble.  You certainly can live without it . . . but you don't want to!

MightyRunt

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 04:56:40 PM »
I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention of heat for a grid-down situation. If you have a woodstove then stock firewood. If not, a propane or kerosene heater. And extra blankets.

homeshow

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 07:37:05 AM »
lots of mention of tampons.
pads are better. A women can't leave tampons in for maore than 6-8 hours (some kind of toxemia).  Also some of the prepper women i know don't like putting manfactured stuff in their bodies.

Most important to me FEMININE PADS MAKE EXCELLENT FIELD DRESSINGS!!  they are a conveninent size and soak up a lot of blood.  i have 1/2 a dozen in my BOB med kit.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 07:52:24 AM »
Good list.

Add some tampons and/or pads if there are females in your group, or even if there aren't.

Good call. You would be surprised how well a tampon fits into a bullet wound. Great for stopping bleeding. The person getting it jammed into a bullet wound is likely to pass out from pain but it will slow the bleeding considerably. Not to mention the obvious uses.