Author Topic: Pallet house with cob  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Pallet house with cob
« on: April 02, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »
Found this while looking for something else this morning, it looks like an interesting build
https://okiciyapi.wordpress.com/pallet-house-build/

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Pallet house with cob
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:16:59 AM »
But it isnt a COB house (NI know they used that term), it is a pallet house with light straw-clay infill in the pallets to add insulation and then plastered with earth plaster.

Do not do this in an Earthquake area, what they did. Even elsewhere, I wouldn't like t see this in such a large building. Maybe if a quick, cheap very small structure is needed, cabin. I am also thinking that there would be moisture wicking from that sandbag foundation to the bond beam, I didnt see anything between the 2 ( like a bit of asphalt building paper). I would also expect quite alot of cracking by earth platering over so much wood. It is always troublsome to earth plaster over wood, generally we MINIMIZE the wood we need to plater over, and often cover the wood with something with "tooth" to it, like stapled on burlap, or even expended metal lathe.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Pallet house with cob
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
You are correct, it is not a cob house. I was in a hurry to post it to get something done outside.

Cedar