Author Topic: Non-survivalist friends?  (Read 23835 times)

amanadoo

Non-survivalist friends?
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »
I know that talking to people who do not participate in the Survivalist lifestyle has come up on the show several times. However, it seems to me to be a little bit different for women. I can explain what I do to any given man, and even if he doesn't "get it" in his own life, he will usually understand the rationale behind it. However, the only women I've found I can speak freely to about this are VERY old. I'm in no way trying to slam women on the whole, but this has definitely been my experience.

The *worst* is how women automatically denigrate things like cloth diapers, momma pads and doing things "the hard way". I don't mind being the odd woman out, but I am getting pretty sick of having things that I believe in, strongly, from both a moral and personal standpoint, being dragged through the mud before I even get a word in edge-wise.

Has this been any one else's experience? I never even get the chance to try to bring folks around to our way of thinking, because the women I talk to (family and friends alike) get so hung up on small details, like baking bread from scratch. YEAH I KNOW it's available at the store. But it's important to me to build these skills.

I bet that in SHTF, all those same women would be looking to me to help take care of them and their children. Annoying.

sarahluker

Re: Non-survivalist friends?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
And that's when you tell them that you wont do everything yourself but you are willing to teach them.  Somehow that would feel right on many levels.  We are a spoiled society and anything that threatens that structure sends many people into a tailspin. 

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
I find the best way to get women interested is to show them up. Mind you, I am not advising anyone take this path, since reactions can be awesome or terrible. Make something amazing, present it nonchalantly, repeat. Eventually when you are consistently making things off the cuff that are prettier, better or seemingly more luxurious than something pricey and store bought, one or two of them will come around. This is especially notable when it comes to charitable fundraisers, children's school events, church functions and other such situations where people like to put their best foot forward and often overextend their budget. Also I have seen that if you keep the sort of garden that people oft admire and praise in your absence, that also helps. The latter I have not experienced personally yet (show garden is for next year) but I learned from someone else who happens to practice permaculture in her gorgeous garden.

If the above sounds catty or offensive I apologize, I'm just speaking from my own experience.

amanadoo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:07:11 AM »
I find the best way to get women interested is to show them up. Mind you, I am not advising anyone take this path, since reactions can be awesome or terrible. Make something amazing, present it nonchalantly, repeat. Eventually when you are consistently making things off the cuff that are prettier, better or seemingly more luxurious than something pricey and store bought, one or two of them will come around. This is especially notable when it comes to charitable fundraisers, children's school events, church functions and other such situations where people like to put their best foot forward and often overextend their budget. Also I have seen that if you keep the sort of garden that people oft admire and praise in your absence, that also helps. The latter I have not experienced personally yet (show garden is for next year) but I learned from someone else who happens to practice permaculture in her gorgeous garden.

If the above sounds catty or offensive I apologize, I'm just speaking from my own experience.

I don't think you sounded catty at all. No more than I did in the original post anyway. I really like what you have to say here, and it is absolutely true. I guess I never really connected the dots in that way. Kind of "kill them with awesomeness" :)

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:42:27 AM »
I make my appeal, give them "One Second After" to read. If they come back, we give them "The Creature from Jekyl Island". If that doesn't work, they are relegated to the status of "aquaintances" and that's it. I don't have time to waste on people who think they are smart, see the situation and yet are too lazy to do anything about it. Those that are too stupid to see the situation, never hear my opinions or know about prepping, because they are the ones that will show up to rob me.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:51:10 AM »
I know that talking to people who do not participate in the Survivalist lifestyle has come up on the show several times. However, it seems to me to be a little bit different for women. I can explain what I do to any given man, and even if he doesn't "get it" in his own life, he will usually understand the rationale behind it. However, the only women I've found I can speak freely to about this are VERY old. I'm in no way trying to slam women on the whole, but this has definitely been my experience.

The *worst* is how women automatically denigrate things like cloth diapers, momma pads and doing things "the hard way". I don't mind being the odd woman out, but I am getting pretty sick of having things that I believe in, strongly, from both a moral and personal standpoint, being dragged through the mud before I even get a word in edge-wise.

Has this been any one else's experience? I never even get the chance to try to bring folks around to our way of thinking, because the women I talk to (family and friends alike) get so hung up on small details, like baking bread from scratch. YEAH I KNOW it's available at the store. But it's important to me to build these skills.

I bet that in SHTF, all those same women would be looking to me to help take care of them and their children. Annoying.

I agree with ebonearth that the best way to reach people is to show them a different approach and don't explain yourself unless they want to listen to your reasons. Over the years a lot of my friends initially responded with ie:  eew, why do you go hunting? bambi killer, yuck I'd never eat that and I certainly wouldn't want to butcher it - can't you let someone else butcher it;  why do you grow such a huge garden?; why do you can all that food when you can go to the grocery store and buy it when we could be going to the mall; and my favorite is YOU CARRY A GUN-what do you think will ever happen that you would need a gun? Some of these folks are still friends - some get it - some don't.  I don't explain myself I just do what I do and like ebonearth said present them with gifts of home harvested food, homemade vanilla, handcrafted items, etc and show them a better life than running to the grocery store or mall. Most people think I'm odd - except here on the forum with you guys.  You all get it.  It's just a backwoods/survival type of lifestyle.  My own family (Mother, Brother) will not eat at my house unless we have something like chicken because they are scared to eat elk, antelope or buffalo my husband or I shot. They are afraid it'll make them sick. Um - we've never had ecoli in this house but I see plenty of recalls at the grocery stores. They don't get invited often as I don't need the grief.  The flip side of this is that my nephew and his wife were here and they had a thousand questions about the lifestyle we live.  They get it and want to emulate us. We turned them on to TSP and they love it.  I bought them survival books for Christmas (JACK I WISH YOUR BOOK WAS DONE - I HAVE A BUNCH OF PEOPLE I'D GIVE IT TO FOR CHRISTMAS - GUESS I'LL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!) 

And to amanadoo you are right - the older generation of ladies seem to get it more (although some of us are NOT that old darling).  Perhaps some have lived closer to the depression years or had parents or grandparents that were influential and knew the value of a dollar. I had neither but lived a tough life as a young adult so I learned to make do or do without.  We have done a disservice to our younger generation by handing them everything they ever wanted or thought they needed and see them as children until they are in their 20's. My dh ran his own construction business on the side when he was 16 and as soon as he graduated from high school he ran it full time until taking a job with the utility company.  Nowadays a 16 year old isn't allowed to do anything like that.  I moved out on my own when I was 17 and still in high school. I had an apartment (I worked 2 jobs after school). I'm not sure either scenario would be ALLOWED by our government these days.

So amanadoo  just keep doing what you think is right and know that a grasshopper mindset isn't easily changed.  I applaud your efforts in living they way you do.  Blessings, TBM 

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »
You really have to tiptoe around the subject with some people, and it's sad as hell.

I'm behind the curve.  I'm 45, and I'm really just getting started.  I've tried talking to the ladies that are my friends in a manner of "hedging against inflation".  The rest are hobbies.

I haven't had ONE really get interested in the survivalist lifestyle.  I probably won't.

Try this, I got this from one of the guys.  It's just a technique to try to see if they can come around on their own...

If you know what her hobbies are, burn a cd with podcasts referring to her hobbies.

It's an idea.  If she hears "the survival podcast" she may turn it off immediately, but at least it's a try.

You can only do so much.  If your relatives choose to be grasshoppers, you have to take care of your own first.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 05:55:51 AM »

So true, as I discovered quite by accident.

For awhile, I got into the quest to bake the perfect chocolate cake.  Every week for about a month, dh was taking cake in to work.  This then triggered a rash of wives baking, as I guess they got tired of hearing how good my homemade cakes were. 

Maybe I'll start canning and dehydrating food and have him take it in.  ;)

sarahluker

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:15 AM »
Make some fantastic jams.  Bake some biscuits for him to take with them and boy will their wives hear about it.  Could start another trend.

Offline War_Eagle

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »

I'm a guy, so I hope you don't mind me butting in here.

My wife and I got into this very gradually. I can see how it would be strange for someone not familiar with it to be confused or taken aback when presented with it all at once.

I would just start with one area and go from there. I would start with something like "we weren't comfortable with getting our electricity from conventional means because we've seen how easily it can be knocked out in a storm or by a drunk driver." Or, you might just say, "we decided to try sustainable electricity because we realized that we were spending far more on our electricity through taxes and hidden fees than it was worth."

I just start by explaining that I had some health problems that caused my wife and I to seriously re-examine the way we ate. When we decided to eat healthier, we planted a garden" and then go from there.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »

I know that many cannot even perceive the idea of a survivalist. I just tell them little bit by little bit, to encourage people or women to do for themselves and be self-sustaining. Many do not understand, because they are programed to have it easy to get food at the store, etc. I just tell them, "Did you know that there is only 2 or 3 days of food available at the grocery store at a given time, if everyone were to stock up, like during a hurricane or an emergency........they seem to be really concerned about that.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 06:54:41 PM »
I'm behind the curve.  I'm 45, and I'm really just getting started.  I've tried talking to the ladies that are my friends in a manner of "hedging against inflation".  The rest are hobbies.
Actually you are not, considering the embarrassingly low percentage of people who even consider prepping just taking that first step puts you ahead of just about everyone else. :)

Baby Girls

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 04:18:59 AM »
Amanadoo,
One thing that I have realized young is that you can only help people who want to be helped. Maybe its my life experience, that would make me say a comment like that but that is what I have always encountered. I have realized the same things with people of my age group. At least in the area where I am from half are medicated and the other half are on illegal drugs.I'm 30 years old, and it seems like everyone I was friends with just doesn't get it. Key word here is WAS friends with. They either think your weird for not being superficial and shopping, wasting money and living day to day. Truth is, if it all snapped tomorrow, they and their family would starve because they didn't prepare and learn the traits that they needed to when they had the time.  I am married with three kids and I agree with many people when they say you take care of your own first. I have an elderly woman from the depression era that lives behind me and I talk with her often. One thing she taught me was that Rome wasn't built in a day. She talked with me about how they lived off of potatoes and how to cook them in different ways. I strive to learn each day that passes and I take as much information in to better myself from people who are gracious enough to help me. I tried to talk with people I am acquainted with about prepping but they showed no interest. I figured I have enough to worry about than to worry about someone who doesn't care to help themself. I apologize if this offends anyone, this is just the personal experiences that I have encountered with people. That is why I am thankful for this forum, there is people out there!!! I have realized that there are people like me and have the same mentality in homesteading. I am thankful for these wonderful people that share vital information in helping those who want to help themselves. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »
I think one thing that is universal for Moms would be the interest in taking care that their children have enough to eat.

That particular tack has worked (at least to some extent) with my younger sisters who have little kids. Particularly when the first round of swine flu scare went around, I was able to encourage them to keep enough food around the house to make it without shopping for a couple of weeks to a month.

With other friends, I have found that a simple discussion about the political climate and the economic uncertainly can often lead to a need to prepare for harder times. That may segue into a discussion about being more self-reliant.

I've also had great fun talking about my wonderful garden and encouraging others to start growing something because it is just so fun!

Using these conversation starters, I found a group of women who wanted to learn the basics of canning... I invited them over to my house to learn how to make pickles and jams. While they were there, I gave them a foodsaver demonstration and showed them my dehydrated foods. We also talked about how much more healthy homeground wheat bread is... they are still waiting for me to get around to putting together a home-ground bread demo...

I wouldn't really call any of them preppers (except for one friend who got inspired to get going), but they are all open to the idea and see it as regaining lost arts that our forbears knew how to do. With most of them, I don't even discuss big-time food storage -- just encourage them to take precautions in case of quarantines, etc.

I haven't found women to generally be negative about it in my circle of acquaintances... (except for my siblings who think I am nuts... but they have a better idea of how much we are doing to prepare than my casual acquaintances). In fact, I'm finding a lot more folks out there in the woodwork who are also preparing in their own way now that my antennae are up and tuned in...

For those who are (even in this economy) still mall queens... well, they are perhaps delusional anyway, if that is how they like to spend their time. It may take a lot more than a friend giving them a gentle nudge toward reality to change them... don't let it discourage you. Just find folks who share your interest in the skills you want to gain and share information.

Offline eno

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »
I find that after a major storm hit, people are MUCH more interested in prepping. A few years ago, we got 2 feet of snow (GASP!) - a huge deal when you only get a couple of inches every other year or so (Piedmont, North Carolina). The ice that came with it, and the continuing freezing weather for a couple of weeks later, meant that the entire area was shut down for at least a week; many rural areas were without power and public services for two weeks, and it took almost 3 weeks before the roads were clear enough to reach my Mom's house 25 miles north. I live in the city limits, and it still took 4 days to get the electricity back on. It's amazing what an extended lack of electricity in winter can do to a suburban housewife's mindset...

Maybe you can act as though this prepping "thing" is just a hobby - like woodworking with hand tools for a man. If you start a "Prep n Bitch" group, you might have better luck.  ;)

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »
If you start a "Prep n Bitch" group, you might have better luck.  ;)
A Prep and Bitch sounds awesome!

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
Yeah, prep and bitch club......oh yeah!

Offline eno

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 12:34:29 PM »
Actually, that would be nice - some sort of monthly meet to learn how to make bread, preserve food, use guns, etc. I feel like such a fringe dweller sometimes, it's more like a cave dweller. :)

Offline deedles

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
Hi ladies, I'm new to the board and would really like to join your women's discussion threads since I am SO LONELY for a female friend that 'gets it'. 

Every single person (male and female) that I know has no interest in self-sufficiency or says it's a good idea but will do nothing.  I think a couple of female relatives are even starting to dislike me a bit... I received an email detailing the 'chemical Thanksgiving dinner' that one sister-in-law made for her people.  She said it was darn good.  I'm sure.   ::) MSG will make anything taste good.  (Catty much?)

Eh, anyway... I've looked quite a few places for some kindred women and hope that maybe I've found some here?

I'm new to the board as I said, but I've been trying to increase my knowledge/skills the past 2+ years.  I've got a few backyard chickens and a pretty nice square foot garden going.  I'm a nurse so I'm also trying to learn as much about alternative health as possible... pretty much disillusioned with mainstream everything including *health* care.  Okay, enough about me... I saw the topic and it really struck home so I just wanted to say 'HI' to the bunch. 

Deedles

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
I welcome you Deedles to the forum - sounds like you are off to a great start. I too have a backyard flock of chickens - oh better make that pet chickens as they haven't laid an egg in 2 months due to molting and very nasty cold weather here. We've tried lots of stuff but decided new chicks will be had come spring and these guys definitely will be dinner. You will find many prepper survival-minded self-sufficient type ants hanging around here. Too bad about SIL and her chemical laden food - someday when she or her children or husband are sick maybe it'll strike home (but I hope not for all of their sake). Our world has been seduced by the food companies into believing that if you open a box, bag or carton you're life will be so much better and the food is great. Um - no.  I actually get severe  tachycardia from MSG and did you know if you give it to animals it can kill them.  Hope her dog or cat doesn't get any leftovers.

Glad you stopped in.  There's lots of ladies who will gladly help and encourage you - me included.  Blessings, TBM

Offline deedles

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 05:21:09 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome!  It's greatly appreciated.  I do look forward to growing my knowledge base.... the more I learn the more I realize I don't know!

It's great to be here!

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 09:13:43 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome!  It's greatly appreciated.  I do look forward to growing my knowledge base.... the more I learn the more I realize I don't know!

It's great to be here!
Deedles, good to have you here to talk to! I envy the women who have chickens, etc. I know how to raise chickens, etc. but I live in a place where I can only have a small garden. We bought a bug out property, but have to stay by income to pay to set it up and pay everything off. I have lived as a child in Michigan and had to do everything from scratch. Can't wait to live on bug out property! It is so interesting what everyone has to say. Everyone has something they know well and learning from everyone else new stuff. Awesome! Good to know you.

amanadoo

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 09:45:25 AM »
Hi ladies, I'm new to the board and would really like to join your women's discussion threads since I am SO LONELY for a female friend that 'gets it'. 

Every single person (male and female) that I know has no interest in self-sufficiency or says it's a good idea but will do nothing.  I think a couple of female relatives are even starting to dislike me a bit... I received an email detailing the 'chemical Thanksgiving dinner' that one sister-in-law made for her people.  She said it was darn good.  I'm sure.   ::) MSG will make anything taste good.  (Catty much?)

Eh, anyway... I've looked quite a few places for some kindred women and hope that maybe I've found some here?

I'm new to the board as I said, but I've been trying to increase my knowledge/skills the past 2+ years.  I've got a few backyard chickens and a pretty nice square foot garden going.  I'm a nurse so I'm also trying to learn as much about alternative health as possible... pretty much disillusioned with mainstream everything including *health* care.  Okay, enough about me... I saw the topic and it really struck home so I just wanted to say 'HI' to the bunch. 

Deedles

I ditto the others, Welcome!

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »

Deedles

Welcome from yet another.  IMHO you have found one of the most welcoming communities I have ever found.  The folks here are knowledgable and friendly.  I guess it's because here...we ALL GET IT.

Check the internet for local gardening groups, use the phrase "sustainable" in a gardening search.  You might be surprised.

You have to worry about your own family first.  Most of us have grasshopper relatives who think we're nuts.  Friends too.  Just keep at it.  What you're doing isn't wrong or crazy.

We're here for you, and we will help where we can.

Offline livingmydream

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 03:22:02 PM »
I have noticed this for sure. But I also have noticed that women who stay home are a little more opt to understand. Most of these women do already cook from scratch etc... and maybe even have more time to devote to researching, trying out different things just for fun. I have a dear friend who just by watching me has decided to cloth diaper. But many moms in my own homeschool group were so completely disgusted when I nonchalantly mentioned cloth pads. They couldn't even fathom the idea! It is frustrating!

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »
I have noticed this for sure. But I also have noticed that women who stay home are a little more opt to understand. Most of these women do already cook from scratch etc... and maybe even have more time to devote to researching, trying out different things just for fun. I have a dear friend who just by watching me has decided to cloth diaper. But many moms in my own homeschool group were so completely disgusted when I nonchalantly mentioned cloth pads. They couldn't even fathom the idea! It is frustrating!
Hey, I saved hundreds of dollars using cloth diapers! Wait, 3 kids times hundreds of diapers = over a thousand dollars I'm sure. But, we I went away from home I brought some disposable diapers just for away from home. Those disposable diapers were emergency diapers and very seldom actually needed them. Alright.......you get it! Awesome!

Baby Girls

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
Welcome Deedles, I too would love to have some chickens but I am like oc, cant have em where I live right now, Darn City Ordinances. I'm not quite situated yet to look for a BOL, I do on the other hand have a place to go if we have to bug out. Once home is paid off we will be able to look into that more. I do agree with the others when they say about diaper expense. I am now just starting to train my last child of three. Let me tell you.... REDICULOUS what they charge for oh, 23 diapers in a pack. Anywhere from 9 to 14 dollars in my area, depending on what brand. I did not do the cloth diapers, actually looking back I probably should have. Being only 30 I don't know if anyone else could comment on this but honestly when you get out there and have children its just assumed that you go buy a bag of pampers. All those years of brainwashing, and once they made the people dependant they hiked the price. Now a generation later that is all you really know of. If you read my porch thread I was raised in the bubble. Boy I'm glad I am wiseing up. Needless to say three kids later and thousands of dollars wasted. Hard lesson learned for me.
Anyone notice how they are advertising more to keeping kids in diapers well past the potty training years. I do agree that there are some children that have medical problems and cant help it. What I have noticed is too it  seems to me there are too a great deal of kids that are wearing diapers clear till 8 years old. Also, tons of different brands for children who are older. IMHO i feel the big wigs are trying to make a buck off peoples laziness. Does anyone notice this?

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »
Maybe so babygirl. Yet, they have depends for the older folks. So, I believe we should use conveniences, till we cannot. So, get some real diapers for many emergency needs. Like, for tying off wounds and slings and emergency stuff for women, in case we run out of women's stuff. Ha. I wonder how they took care of women's needs in the old days? I'm sure it was some kind of cloth. Well anyway, if you bleach and sanitize these old fashioned diapers, they are good to go for much.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »
You are right, OC.  Women used cloth "rags" and reused them.  Hence the saying: "She's on the rag". (Grrr - hate that saying!)

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »
You are right, OC.  Women used cloth "rags" and reused them.  Hence the saying: "She's on the rag". (Grrr - hate that saying!)

Oh yeah, that saying! Ha! Ha!