Author Topic: Non-survivalist friends?  (Read 23836 times)

Baby Girls

Re: Non-survivalist friends?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
Thanks OC.... I will stock up on these cloth diapers. Good thing to have on hand for many of reasons.

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
I've seen that too, Baby Girls. I love freebies, so I signed up to get some free diapers a couple of weeks ago, and the only options they gave were the huge sizes for big kids so I decided to pass on that one. It bothered me that the only free samples that pampers/huggies were giving out then were huge. Reminded me of that whole Baby Einstein fiasco encouraging mothers to buy their completely worthless and damaging products, saying that TV was actually good for babies. Ugh It never fails that good old fashioned methods are always the best, safest and surest methods for raising our children healthily into a moral adulthood, no matter what our belief systems.

As far as sharing with others go, I usually just wait until they bring up something I can latch onto. One of the mom's in our homeschool group mentioned using cloth pads...oooh I ran with that one. Another friend of our family started talking about reading a pamphlet on how the Federal Reserve Note was actually worthless, and started talking about his frustrations with the Fed. Woot...there I go again! It's easy when you can latch onto something they're already interested in. Oh, and I heartily agree with talking to new moms about how it's important to me to have plenty of food and warmth for my children in any given situation. I don't want to have to rely upon the system or the stores to provide for them, when it's in my power to make sure they are well cared for, and should be my responsibility, not the government's anyway!

All that being said, I don't really have a lot of local friends...and those are more like acquaintances. I find that a lot of people my age are more interested in going to parties and bars than taking care of their families, and they all think my husband and I are complete wackos because hubby works from home, and I'm a homemaker. We spend all our time together with our family, and everyone thinks that's horribly abnormal and talks to us like there is something wrong, like we have an "unnatural attachment" issue or something. Husband's family is the worst, thinking that I've completely ruined him and that it's my fault that he doesn't want to get a "real" job, and that he's now become a country boy. I swear, it's not my fault...we're in this together!! Besides, we both quit working at about the same time...but I digress. I suppose it only gets to me really badly when my sister-in-law says that I'm not as much of a "woman" as she is, and she's far more advanced than I, because she has a career and works in the city and I'm just a "lowly housewife". She's in her late 40's, eternally single, has no children and is very lonely most of the time. I think she's the one who's a bit "behind".

Baby Girls

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 11:45:14 PM »
Vashti.... You are not alone in the local friends issue. The things that you are doing such as latching onto a subject and running with it, is exactly what I do. I have found that people sometimes show an interest and others just yeah, yeah you. I do not have anyone my age locally, that I hang around and share interest with either. Same situation, they are too busy having party time. I am truly blessed to have a husband who does share the same interest as myself. What you and your hubby do with your children is commendable, especially in today's society. As far as his family and your sister in law. As long as the both of you know what is true then that is all that matters. I know family is brutal and hits those fine nerves. Your sister in law... hmm well as far as her attitude toward you being an at home mom. In my opinion, is jealousy. Sure she may work and have a career but that is her personal choice. I'm giving my personal opinion as I said... I do work full time and raising a family myself. My take on it... I wish I could be a at home mom. Right now don't have much of a choice. I envy the women out there who can be at home taking care of the family because as you said yourself the old fashion way is so much better. So I think it very well may be jealousy, If she isn't married I'm assuming she really don't have much of a choice but to work and support herself. Wonder if she was married would her career mean the same to her? Ask yourself these questions. As far as the comment of you being less of a woman, is ridicules. You are the backbone of your home and what you and your hubby are doing is remarkable as I already stated. Don't let ignorance change your outlook on yourself and just keep distance from it so it doesn't cause problems in your marriage as family always does find ways to do that. Hang in there!!! Good luck to the both of you.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 08:06:33 AM »

I suppose it only gets to me really badly when my sister-in-law says that I'm not as much of a "woman" as she is, and she's far more advanced than I, because she has a career and works in the city and I'm just a "lowly housewife". She's in her late 40's, eternally single, has no children and is very lonely most of the time. I think she's the one who's a bit "behind".

Vashti, one can only wonder what will happen to her in a SHTF scenario.  She'll probably be knocking on your door.  The thing I've learned in all the years doing this survivalist stuff is that a lot of times when people resent you - it's exactly what Baby Girls said, they are jealous of where you are in life (I think of the old movie Baby Boom with Diane Keaton here). AND if your husband is happy and your kids are well taken care of, just keep doing what is right for your family. Who cares what anyone else thinks - just secretly smile because you know you are doing the right thing and remember: "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." - E.E. Cummings   Blessings -

And Hi to Baby Girls - I'll PM you later. Blessings on your day dear friend.  :)

Hozzlebozzle

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 09:43:28 PM »
Wow, this is a great thread. Its nice to hear the perspective of other women on this topic.. I have been listening to thesurvivalpodcast for a while now and working towards some self-sufficiency goals. But my boyfriend is somewhat less enthusiastic than me about the whole prepping thing.. He's not opposed, but he seems to be sort of... humoring me.. hahha (but what kind of woman would I be if I didn't prepare on his behalf anyway, despite occasional teasing or eye-rolling, haha)

Anyway, I'm pretty new to the concepts of modern survivalism, although I am quickly recognizing that a lot of the principles are in line with some of the things I was already doing in my lifestyle.

I do feel that its a real challenge to talk to friends and acquaintances about my views and the steps I am taking to get better prepared.... Most people living here in Vermont tend to be quite liberal minded, and so I can usually have a conversation about gardening, or some of the more "earth-friendly" areas of survivalism... but even then I have a hard time explaining my angle without sounding like maybe a bit of a nut-job....

For example, I just can't seem to get my gal pals to taste my biltong.. hahahaha... the guys will try it and appreciate it. But its a good example of something I think is a good idea that I still have a hard time finding other people to relate to about...

Some people are so closed-minded! I just can't understand how anyone could honestly argue with concepts of self-sufficiency....!  ???

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 08:05:27 AM »
Most people living here in Vermont tend to be quite liberal minded, and so I can usually have a conversation about gardening, or some of the more "earth-friendly" areas of survivalism... but even then I have a hard time explaining my angle without sounding like maybe a bit of a nut-job....

Some people are so closed-minded! I just can't understand how anyone could honestly argue with concepts of self-sufficiency....!  ???

Welcome Hozzlebozzle - You just keep doing what you're doing and if others around you don't get it just remember it's cause they're probably sheep.  They don't think our system will fail or allow anything bad happen to them. We all know it's possible (probable?) and the better you're prepared the better off you will be. Most likely your BF will turn around as he watches what you do.  Episode 69 -Getting Your Spouse On Board - you might find valuable. Here's the link.
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/getting-your-spouse-on-board-with-survival-planning
Glad to have you on the forum. I know when I started visiting it was nice to find so many like minded people.  Blessings, TBM

Hozzlebozzle

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 02:48:28 PM »
Episode 69 -Getting Your Spouse On Board - you might find valuable. Here's the link.
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/getting-your-spouse-on-board-with-survival-planning

Glad to have you on the forum. I know when I started visiting it was nice to find so many like minded people.  Blessings, TBM

Great idea on Episode 69, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Offline doucmpuppiespn

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 08:20:33 PM »
We have a local group that we are members of, but other than that, no one around me thinks even close to the way we do.  I got so tickled the other day when I showed my friend a purse I altered into a conceal carry purse.  She said "you carry your gun with you?"  and even better "is it loaded?"  ;D

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
I only have one prepper friend, all the rest think there is something seriously wrong with me so now I just mostly don't mention it. They see the garden and the chickens but a lot of folks around here have those. I also keep all my supplies in a back room and the laundry room and garage so they aren't noticeable. My prepper friend keeps an enormous amount of stuff under her beds as well as other inconspicuous spots around her house. I may start doing that next.

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
Thank you for this thread! It's a great feeling to hear about other women who understand the concepts of survivalism and self-suficiency! Although I am not an advanced prepper, I am re-directing efforts and learning curves in my life toward self-suficiency goals. My dad's motto in life is "Prevention is better than the cure". Him and my mom fled Cambodia for Paris-France, because of the Khmer Rouges massacres all over the country. From a day to another, they just had to drop everything and run with only the clothes on their back, litteraly. So, I was raised with the thought "to be prepared for any situation and be autonomous as much as possible". I never had a problem with it and understood the legitimacy of it, and most of the things I've been tought fall in line already with my angle on survivalism today (+the right to bear arms now that I am in the US). I just want to further it.

People nowadays are just completely spoiled, lazzy and think they are safe in their little comfort-zone bubbles. Then, when winter-blizzards hit, it's panick-time because they are low on milk. This just shows how much they prepared themselves knowing blatantly that snow was coming. What do you think they are doing for their lives.

It is a real challenge to express my views with people. Most of the time, I'm shocked at their narrow-mindedness. They usually think it's a waste of time (since you can get it at the store),that there is no pride or utility to get from doing things by yourself (since they like to be totally dependant on services coz it's so easy), or that we are pretty paranoid to think ahead of catastrophies or economical collapses (since this only happens in movies or to other countries). Some people show interest, some roll their eyes, some give an unconvincing "Oooh that's great" or some think I must be cheap or bored out of my mind.

Last summer, my husband took me and my little brother (who flew in from France) camping for the first time. He left us the task of the camp fire. As stupid as it may sound, it tooks us a little while to figure out how to feed a fire, but we were proud as hell to know how to do so once we got it going. We looked at each other thinking that we could make a fire with our hands, and that if the situation arose again, we'd be able to do it again, instead of crying in the dark!

I can't help it sometimes, I just like to share and discuss with my friends so I keep trying to explain and angle it for them to see, so it speaks to them. It's all out of care for them. But some days it's hard, they are just too "hermetic", haughty and condescendant. They act like survivalism and self-suficiency are useless backward steps, or a regression, and that they are too "advanced" or "civilized" to go back to that since society has made it so easily at their disposition and convenience. So, I just let it slide because even if I manage to prove my point, people will agree but still not be motivated to act accordingly (even with the argument of the present political and economical climate). They don't believe that something can happen. But when it does, it'll be too late. They won't even be able to get over the initial shock.

It is frustrating for sure, but on the other hand I am really thankful to have found you gals, this forum is the most welcoming and instructive I've been to! It's good to be here and feel understood.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
Medium French - please allow me to give you your first +1 for a great post.  You nailed it perfectly on "living the good life - I'll just run to the store for what I need."  Thanks for joining us on the forum - Blessings TBM

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2010, 02:25:59 PM »
Thank you TwoBluesMama  :) I am grateful. I have been itching to say all this for a while. I don't have many survivalists friends, so it's a relief to express it here to people who understand!  :D

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »
Thank you TwoBluesMama  :) I am grateful. I have been itching to say all this for a while. I don't have many survivalists friends, so it's a relief to express it here to people who understand!  :D

Bienvenue, MediumFrenchFry.
I understand the relief.  I always thought I just marched to a different drum, and it didn't bother me most of the time (occasionally I would have a small break down, but oddly, that also seemed to happen around my period, but it wasn't every month, just highly stressful ones?).  Still doesn't bother me, really.  the biggest problem I have now is that I cannot keep up with those that hear my drum!   :D  It is nice to have company on this path.

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
Merci beaucoup, Morning Sunshine!  ;D It's good to read French too haha!
I totally hear you and I am glad to find new companions on the road too!! I guess it goes up and down, some days I really try hard to explain and some days I come home to my husband and swear that this is IT and that I will not help those who don't want to be helped. At least I sleep at night knowing I have a few things prepared  :D

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
Holy cow, how did I miss this thread!!!!!!!! :o

Read it from the first post and I must say.........you ladies rock. So nice to see young and "mature" women discussing these issues. I have always marched to my own drum, so I don't think anyone thinks I am any stranger than usual!

FYI, I fit into the "mature" category and I have many things to catch up on, but I am better off now than six months ago. Debt reduction will take some time, but it will happen.

Keep up what you do and be proud that you can do the things necessary to make it better for yourselves and your families.

Women are a powerful force in this world and we should be showing our children and grandchildren that the "old ways" may save their lives or at the very least give them options in a crisis.

Best to all,
swoods

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 06:17:47 AM »
Ideally, our government would back off from the taxation, money creation and control of free enterprise and let the system heal itself... it would be a big bump in the road, but would lead to overall more prosperity for everyone! If that doesn't happen, it could certainly eventually cause a huge drop in the standard of living for everyone in our country...

Living without the modern conveniences is certainly a drop in the standard of living folks are used to... there is much more overall efficiency of the use of our country's resources by the division of labor we have now... so in that respect, the people who don't want to learn how to do everything themselves are expressing a view that we all would probably prefer (on some level). The problem is that, historically, when governments destroy an economy, it is very difficult to trade without a currency that people trust... that is why, after the Roman emperors destroyed the currency, the people left the cities in droves hoping to do subsistence farming in order to have enough to eat.

We all hope it doesn't come to that, but shouldn't we all have enough basic knowledge of self-sufficiency to make it through for our families if the need arises? So many people are not students of history, though, and just have no understanding or awareness of what could happen. I am glad we have this supportive community to share ideas and knowledge. It makes it less of a lonely road...

Offline monkeybird

• Survivor
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 07:04:44 AM »
I've been a prepper for about a year.  My sister and I both became concerned at the same time and we both began planning.  It's surprising how much you can do in a year.

I'm active in several women's groups whose focus in local charity.  For the most part these women have never know a day of worry about financial or political upheaval.  Today, despite obvious evidence to the contrary, my friends continue to believe life will go on as before.  They believe that they will make it through the recession just fine and choose to believe in 'green shoots'. 

My sister-in-laws think it amusing!  They jokingly say, "Well, we'll know where to go".  My husband is fine with my prepping, as long as he is not directly involved.  He'll say "Oh, it's good to be prepared in case of an emergency".   To his credit he has not said a single word about my prepping purchases.

My non-scientific opinion is that women, and men too, who have never known hardship or struggle live in a sort of cocoon.  They choose to believe that life will always be the same.

Quite frankly, there are days after listening to the news that I wish I was still in the cocoon.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
My non-scientific opinion is that women, and men too, who have never known hardship or struggle live in a sort of cocoon.  They choose to believe that life will always be the same.

Quite frankly, there are days after listening to the news that I wish I was still in the cocoon.

That's my non-scientific opinion too. They can't or won't believe that things could ever be different.

I find that nearly every single day I wish for a minute or two I could live in that cocoon. Unfortunately I read a lot of history and I listen to the news. Then I think about empires that have fallen and super powers that are no more and what led up to their fall and the next time I go to town I add a bit more to our supplies.

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
I can only agree. People who never had to worry about their finances and who have never known hardships definitely live in a bubble of their own. They never had to struggle for anything, don't feel like they should and believe that they won't have to do so until the end of their lives. It's like impossible for them to wrap their heads around, they will just hope for the best, and not prepare for the worse.

What they don't see is that -in that moment-, they may be able to get everything they want, because it's ready, it's easy, it's single-serving, it's at every corner of their block, it's conveniently there for them to grab. But when that bubble bursts, it's going to be a totally different reality. And they may have thought that they had everything they needed, but they'll realise that all this time they have never equipped themselves with important basic life skills. Even just the basic knowledge of self-sufficiency to sustain and defend their families. It's like the Matrix.  ???

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
MediumFrenchFry, you are so right.  It's just like people living in the Matrix, and they can't see that everything around them is a facade.  I feel like I stepped out of that matrix when I woke up a year or so ago.  I have several non-survivalist friends who just don't get all this 'stuff' I've been doing, like gardening and being more self-sufficient.  The one approach that has been best received is to talk about a specific situation to bring the message home.  Because I live in an earthquake zone, I usually use that as my example.  With the number of large quakes in the world the past couple of months, it's starting to be talked about a lot more on the news.  Now when I talk about being prepared for an earthquake with a bag in my car, a route home, water, food, and at least two means to make fire, it sounds less "end of the worlder" to them, and more like a sensible idea.  Four of my friends are starting to respond a little, and one is now getting a weeks worth of water and food stocked in her basement.  I figure that's at least a start.

Offline Dontforgetyourlipgloss

• Prepper
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 01:47:28 AM »
Oh how i wish i could find some RL friends who understand!!!

I'm a 26yr old housewife with 2 kids, just moved to a new town in the middle of nowhere (i love that part), but i'd love to meet some like minded people! so far the only people i have clicked with are the lovely 50+ group who hold a knitting circle up the road.

A Prep and Bi#tch would be great! -- i wonder if i put an ad in the local paper if anyone would respond...

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
couldn't hurt... maybe if you mentioned things that would be coded to seek out the prepping minded...

... gardening, canning, dehydrating, wheat-grinding, permaculture, self-sufficiency group forming! (knitters welcome)

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 01:27:39 PM »
MediumFrenchFry, you are so right.  It's just like people living in the Matrix, and they can't see that everything around them is a facade.  I feel like I stepped out of that matrix when I woke up a year or so ago.  I have several non-survivalist friends who just don't get all this 'stuff' I've been doing, like gardening and being more self-sufficient.  The one approach that has been best received is to talk about a specific situation to bring the message home.  Because I live in an earthquake zone, I usually use that as my example.  With the number of large quakes in the world the past couple of months, it's starting to be talked about a lot more on the news.  Now when I talk about being prepared for an earthquake with a bag in my car, a route home, water, food, and at least two means to make fire, it sounds less "end of the worlder" to them, and more like a sensible idea.  Four of my friends are starting to respond a little, and one is now getting a weeks worth of water and food stocked in her basement.  I figure that's at least a start.

Alas, it is just like in the Matrix  >:( Yep, the only times I see people that deign to pay a little bit more attention to survivalism and prepping is when they are already nose to the wall, already knee-deep in the problem, or when they are forced to take into account a new variable in their life. Like the earthquakes in your area. I just think it's sad to not be more open-minded or receptive to ideas that only aim at providing you protection and skills.
I think people are too wrapped into themselves and useless distractions, little things. The impermanent and often the useless. Basically, why go look and think of getting this and that, if you don't need it NOW?!?! The "i'll get it when i need it" mentality just won't work when they'll all fight each other over a carton of rice at the store.

Unfortunaltely, my friends just feel too comfortable where they are. I tried to put things into perspective but I get the shoulder-shrug. PA got pounded with lots of snow, blocking roads, preventing delivery trucks to reach stores etc etc..creating little shortages and delays. But it didn't seem to occur to people that being snowed-in should have them get a little extra preparred, instead of cursing at store managers for not having enough milk. How are you going to scream at a store manager for not having prepared enough milk orders knowing the snow storms were coming? How about YOUR preparation?!

Other example of how people do not want to think of alternative means and different options : the Phillies baseball team won the World Series in 2009 and organized a big parade downtown. The heart of the city was absolutely PACKED. I had planned on seeing the parade and be joined by my husband later along the celebration. The city was so crowded, that nobody could get any decent signal. My husband and I agreed on a location to meet up at beforehand, and although he was a few feet behind me, we just couldnt text or call each other at all. So, this makes you think that in the event of a complete chaos , be it a natural catastrophy or buildings falling down or explosions or earthquakes, I wouldn't have found my husband. Although people saw my point, they just shrugged it and went back to their iphones, maybe they couldfind an app to warn them of earthquakes.

Offline Trillias

• Prepper
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »
we've got the friends who just tell us they're planning on heading to our house in a SHTF scenario - to which our response is generally, Okay, so what are you planning to contribute to the group skillset? And then they look very confused...

We *had* a friend who ultimately decided he no longer wanted to associate with us or our mutual friends because we "scared" him, and we insulted him by pointing out that he had no useful skills in a SHTF scenario, and would therefore need to learn something useful before we'd allow him to join us in that situation. Sorry, hon, but video game skillz will not translate.

Honestly, the few friends we have who think they're heading to our house probably won't make it that far anyway, as much as I hate to say it.  :-[ :-\

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 08:20:32 AM »
I get that too Trillias! The "i'll come knock on your door" answer.  People will probably try to blow up our phones...if they still work by then. I think it's rude that that ex-frind of yours gave up on your friendship because he didnt want to be associated to you and because he was "scared". That's some nerve to make your preparedness pass for something irrational.

I do agree with you ...the friends who's first reflex will be to head toward my way, I don't think it'll be that easy. And i'll probably be long gone anyway. I think people underestimate the crazyness of chaos...In the SHTF scenario, they will take time to even get over the initial shock, they won't even believe...but also, they have no idea of how people will just go wild as soon as they get really really hungry.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »
I think people underestimate the crazyness of chaos...In the SHTF scenario, they will take time to even get over the initial shock, they won't even believe...but also, they have no idea of how people will just go wild as soon as they get really really hungry.

I'm not sure people underestimate the craziness or if it's just gotten to the point they can't distinguish between what is real and on the news and what's in a movie or TV program, it's like they honestly believe they are immune to natural or man made disasters.

Not to mention the mindset of some people. I was watching the news a while back and there had been a disaster somewhere and people were running out of food and water and they were angry and indignant that the stores were also out. They interviewed one woman who was really angry and she said they were out of water at home and it was her "right" to be able to buy some. I nearly fell out of my chair. The problem is with that attitude they will be the first ones rioting and breaking into anyplace (including other people's homes) to get what they have.

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 03:05:16 PM »
I think it's rude that that ex-frind of yours gave up on your friendship because he didnt want to be associated to you and because he was "scared". That's some nerve to make your preparedness pass for something irrational.

That guy just has issues in general; among them is that he was Trill's last boyfriend before she and I got back together and subsequently got married.  He's terrified of me as a result, and parlayed my interest in weapons, Krav, and not being a tick on the butt of society into us being "scary."

Offline RightArmOfWyoming

• Survivor
    • Libertarian Punk blog
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 05:40:55 PM »
You are right, OC.  Women used cloth "rags" and reused them.  Hence the saying: "She's on the rag". (Grrr - hate that saying!)

This is one of my favorite photos of my wife. She calls it "Don't mess with an armed woman buying tampons!"

As for non-prepper friends, I imagine with us it will be somewhat like non-gun friends. They'll slowly just quit calling and we'll make new friends.

-- Michael

Offline RightArmOfWyoming

• Survivor
    • Libertarian Punk blog
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 05:46:15 PM »
Here are a couple blog posts I wrote about losing old friends because I "saw the light",

Arguing with liberals:
http://www.stinkfight.com/2009/11/23/arguing-with-liberals/

More hate for me from my old leftie friends:
http://www.stinkfight.com/2009/11/25/more-hate-for-me-from-my-old-leftie-friends/

Prepping is interesting....unlike my other interests and forums I'm on (guns and politics), not all preppers are right wing/libertarian. For instance, my two older sisters are as leftie as people come, but have always been into back to the land/simple living/canning food/beekeeping and more.

MWD

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
Exactly! We aren't alike, which makes life more interesting but we respect one another for the most part and share common goals and maybe the most important thing is we share knowledge often learned from our own silly mistakes. BTW, love the picture of your wife, it's awesome.