Author Topic: Vacuum Seal Mason jars W/O special lids  (Read 71784 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Vacuum Seal Mason jars W/O special lids
« on: November 22, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »
Moving things around in the basement today, I wondered getting a new sealer so I can package dry items in jars (rice, pasta,..)

In talking with DW,.. she mentioned no interest in getting special - eXPENSIVE lids,.. I agree.

Is there a sealer that will use the normal mason jar lids but with a cold vacuum?

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Re: Vacuum Seal Mason jars W/O special lids
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 03:25:52 PM »
Moving things around in the basement today, I wondered getting a new sealer so I can package dry items in jars (rice, pasta,..)

In talking with DW,.. she mentioned no interest in getting special - eXPENSIVE lids,.. I agree.

Is there a sealer that will use the normal mason jar lids but with a cold vacuum?

idelphic - I am working on putting together some pics of the sealer we use.  It is so inexpensive and works wonderfully. It will even reseal reused jars from other foods like spaghetti sauce, etc.  Will try to get them downloaded and up in the either tomorrow or Tuesday at latest.  TBM 

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
The Foodsaver uses the regular lids. The white attachment that they sell goes on over the regular lid and is then removed once the vacuum is drawn.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
The Foodsaver uses the regular lids. The white attachment that they sell goes on over the regular lid and is then removed once the vacuum is drawn.

The one I was telling idelphic about doesn't use electricity. I have the food saver and I think this one works better. I promise I'll have pics and info tomorrow. TBM

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:55:13 PM »
Is this the thingie RD?
    Shame no instructions on it really..
http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=89&pid=270

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »
Sorry to jump in but yes...that is the thing.  I have had jars vacuum seal this hold the seal for over 10 years.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »
...another option with the foodsaver... I bought a large foodsaver canister (big enough to hold any jars you might want to re-use ) and have used it to seal dry things in with great success. It works well for old pasta sauce jars with the original lids, and all sort of other jars and lids you want to re-use (only for dry storage). You just put the jar with the lid on it in the canister and vacuum seal the canister. Then, after removing the hose, you release the pressure using the canister release button. The jar inside will magically seal with the lid button sucked down. I have the size for standard size mason jars, but not the wide mouth, so I use this method on widemouth mason jars as well as the other store jars.

I use old jars and lids for dehydrated foods, chocolate... anything dry I want to store longer on the shelf.

This does still require power, though, so I am looking forward to seeing your other method TBM.

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 05:11:42 PM »
Is this the thingie RD?
    Shame no instructions on it really..
http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=89&pid=270

Thats it the description is lousy also. You slip that on over a wide mouth Jar with the lid in place, attach the vacuum hose from your sealer to the top of the lid and turn it on. It removes the air and sucks the lid down tight. When you remove the hose it breaks the seal under the white thing and you pull it off. The mason jar lid stays in place. If you want you can screw the ring on loosely at that point. Works real well and the lids seem to work over and over as long as your careful when you break the vacuum.

Offline Mr Ant

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »
This is great! I never realized that these would work will the jar lids.

I was looking on the web for what TwoBluesMama was describing and found an instructables project that you may be interested in:

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Alvin-Vacuum-Sealer/

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Alvin-Vacuum-Sealer/

That's slick. I already have the hand pump, just need to pick up a jar adapter. Thanks.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »
Okay guys I should have just posted their website but wasn't thinking. It is http://www.pump-n-seal.com.   I will say when we purchased this pump it was almost half in price - ouch.  Anyway I like it and I seal all our preps in mason jars with this.  I also do all the dehydrated foods I jar this way.  I can even use it on other types of used jars such as spaghetti sauce. It also can be used for ziplocs although I haven't ever used it for that.  Perhaps the Food Saver one is cheaper - I don't know.  Anyway hope this at least gives more ideas.  Blessings, TBM

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »
And don't those dried peppers and tomatoes look good! Can't really tell, but do you first poke a small hole in the lid with a thumbtack and then use the pump and seal? Then, tape quickly over the top to keep air out? Looks like a great no power option.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »
And don't those dried peppers and tomatoes look good! Can't really tell, but do you first poke a small hole in the lid with a thumbtack and then use the pump and seal? Then, tape quickly over the top to keep air out? Looks like a great no power option.

Sorry my brain is having an off day.  I should have explained it.  First you poke a small hole (it's like a sturdy pushpin) and then you cover the hole with a seal.  It looks like a small bandaid.  Then you pump the air out.  When you need to get into the jar you must lift the corner of the seal and introduce air back in otherwise it is next to impossible to get the lid off.  The seals can be opened and closed numerous times.  Thanks for the nice words about the peppers and tomatoes - I actually (I can't believe I'm going to say this) got tired of canning and decided to dehydrate some stuff.  Still have some more tomatoes to do and then I need to do something with 200 lbs of squash.  Wonder if some will dehydrate nicely?  Blessings, TBM 

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »
Interesting TBM...  I have seen the Pump -n-Seal around a time or two,..  but wondered about it. 
Some questions about it - if I had a pressure canned jar, could I take the lid and recycle it using the press-n-seal?  or do you need to use a new lid.

What is the longest you have had something sealed using the Pump-n-seal?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »
TBM... I had good luck dehydrating zucchini this summer. Just sliced and dried... makes a sort of zucchini chip... I'm guessing you may have winter squash this time of year, though... can't help with that from experience...

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 07:53:58 AM »
Interesting TBM...  I have seen the Pump -n-Seal around a time or two,..  but wondered about it. 
Some questions about it - if I had a pressure canned jar, could I take the lid and recycle it using the press-n-seal?  or do you need to use a new lid.

What is the longest you have had something sealed using the Pump-n-seal?

Please know that this sealer is not a replacement for anything that has been pressure canned. What food are you asking about resealing? If you open a pressure canned jar you must either eat what's in there or refrigerate it - you cannot safely reseal it. The Pump N Seal won't reseal something that has to be or is already pressure canned (that's asking for bad trouble - like botulism, etc.)  I use it for my preps such as 1/2 gallon jars of different kinds of exotic rice, beans, rye and spelt flours, brown sugar, - stuff I don't keep in larger bucket quantities. The seals have held for a long time - perhaps a couple of years or more. I sometimes have trouble sealing the flours as they tend to pull up into the seal.  I've found covering the top of the flour with wax paper takes care of the problem.  This sealer makes jars air tight against bugs and extends the food life.

Please let me know what you specifically asking about. Blessings, TBM

TBM... I had good luck dehydrating zucchini this summer. Just sliced and dried... makes a sort of zucchini chip... I'm guessing you may have winter squash this time of year, though... can't help with that from experience...
Yep 256 lbs of winter squash - I'll keep some in storage and come up with other ways to process the rest, probably can some for pies and baking, maybe freeze some of the juicier ones. Thanks TBM

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 08:15:24 AM »
Please know that this sealer is not a replacement for anything that has been pressure canned. What food are you asking about resealing? If you open a pressure canned jar you must either eat what's in there or refrigerate it - you cannot safely reseal it. The Pump N Seal won't reseal something that has to be or is already pressure canned (that's asking for bad trouble - like botulism, etc.) 

my guess is that he is just talking about the seal.  you bottled beans, ate the beans, now have a pressure-canned used seal that cannot be re-used for canning.  At least, that is how I read the question and also is my question.
and just to verify, this Pump N Seal is electricity free, correct?

Please let me know what you specifically asking about. Blessings, TBM
Yep 256 lbs of winter squash - I'll keep some in storage and come up with other ways to process the rest, probably can some for pies and baking, maybe freeze some of the juicier ones. Thanks TBM
I dehydrated some winter squash.  it turned out like a thick fruit leather.  I then blended it into flour and am reconstituting for baby food.  It is working great for smooth, easy babyfood.  I do not eat squash, nor does my family too much, so I cannot tell you if it makes a yummy squash dish.  But my baby LOVES it, and it looks nice and creamy.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 12:43:01 PM »
Please know that this sealer is not a replacement for anything that has been pressure canned. What food are you asking about resealing? If you open a pressure canned jar you must either eat what's in there or refrigerate it - you cannot safely reseal it. The Pump N Seal won't reseal something that has to be or is already pressure canned (that's asking for bad trouble - like botulism, etc.)  I use it for my preps such as 1/2 gallon jars of different kinds of exotic rice, beans, rye and spelt flours, brown sugar, - stuff I don't keep in larger bucket quantities. The seals have held for a long time - perhaps a couple of years or more. I sometimes have trouble sealing the flours as they tend to pull up into the seal.  I've found covering the top of the flour with wax paper takes care of the problem.  This sealer makes jars air tight against bugs and extends the food life.

No no no,... LOL  Not going to seal up something that should have been pressure canned or heated...  Have some new dry pasta, rice, beans, etc - that I'm looking to put in jars versus the paper box they came in.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
No no no,... LOL  Not going to seal up something that should have been pressure canned or heated...  Have some new dry pasta, rice, beans, etc - that I'm looking to put in jars versus the paper box they came in.

Phew! idephic you had me worried for a minute.  Definitely yes this little hand pump works great for sealing pasta, rice and beans and such in glass jars.  I'm not sure if your original question was if you could re-use a lid from something that had been pressure canned and use it with the Pump N Seal.  If this is correct my answer would be no. Usually when I open pressure canned foods the lids are so stinking tight that I have to use a bottle-opener on them to break the seal. Then they are bent and not resealable - also the rubber gasket on the lid's underside is pretty gone. EXCEPTIONS:  If I water bath canned jelly or such and the gasket looks really good I might use it for the pump n seal but not re-canning.  I do use spaghetti sauce jars, etc that have a lid lined with the rubber gasket if it looks to be in good shape.  I fill my jar and let it sit and then check it later to see if the seal held. And then periodically check them again just to be sure.  Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you. Blessings, TBM

my guess is that he is just talking about the seal.  you bottled beans, ate the beans, now have a pressure-canned used seal that cannot be re-used for canning.  At least, that is how I read the question and also is my question.
and just to verify, this Pump N Seal is electricity free, correct?
I dehydrated some winter squash.  it turned out like a thick fruit leather.  I then blended it into flour and am reconstituting for baby food.  It is working great for smooth, easy babyfood.  I do not eat squash, nor does my family too much, so I cannot tell you if it makes a yummy squash dish.  But my baby LOVES it, and it looks nice and creamy.

Yes this is a small hand pump no electricity needed which makes it easy to use. Hmm - squash flour - might be an idea to add in breads and such. Glad the baby likes it - truly a good for you food.  My dogs also love squash (and carrots, peas, green beans and BEETS! - go figure!) Blessings, TBM

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
Note that you can also make your own pump-n-save seals;  it's up to you whether its worth your time or not.   Yesterday I picked up one of those foodsaver rechargeable vacuums and used it on mason jars using home-made seals; it worked fine.

I've been using the Alvin method described above for the past year or so, putting the jars in foodsaver containers I already had and pumping out the air as LVS describes. I do not own a foodsaver sealer/vac.  Been trolling for one on eBay/craigslist/freecycle but nothing in my price range.

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 07:56:34 AM »
Good links, I have been using the foodsaver for my dry storage vacuum needs.  I know I have a vacuum pump in the garage, I will just have to make sure there is no brake fluid on it ;D or grab another one.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
I use the Kenmore select seal-n-save. It is exactly the same as the similar model Foodsaver, the parts are even interchangable. Also, it comes with the mason jar thing. No special lids needed, and it works great. Forgot to mention it's only 80 bucks as apposed to 140
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:46:37 PM by The Infidel »

Offline Longsnowsm

• Prepper
    • Be Prepared Channel
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 10:20:24 PM »
Also on the foodsaver front you can get the lid adapter for both regular size lids and the large mouth lids so you can vacuum seal either type.

On the Alvin sealer I have had issues with this method.  The issue appears to be in leaks in the hoses or fittings.  I bought the brake bleeder and then attempted to use my foodsaver hose and lid.  I managed to get a few jars sealed but the hose or the fitting started leaking and I couldn't get the pressure back.  I tried the method described in the instructable and could not get a good seal that way either.  So now I need to look at a way to re-engineer a hose with a foodsaver fitting for the lid to address the air leaks.  When it does work it worked fine and I was thrilled.  Also I would avoid the Harbor Freight vacuum pump.  I purchased that first and it died on me right away.  Pretty poor quality.  So I bought a Mityvac and that seems to be a better quality unit that feels like it will hold up better.  Obviously YMMV. 

So I am still on a lookout for a possible no power option for vacuum sealing.  I saw someone mention reversing the valve in a tire hand pump, but I haven't tried that yet.  I did investigate the pump-n-seal, but I just don't have any confidence in tape seal holding up in a long term storage situation.  So I decided against that option.  I would like to hear if anyone has tried the pump-n-seal and hand something stored long term this way.  That would be good to know.   Thanks again.

Longsnowsm

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 08:02:10 AM »
.  I did investigate the pump-n-seal, but I just don't have any confidence in tape seal holding up in a long term storage situation.  So I decided against that option.  I would like to hear if anyone has tried the pump-n-seal and hand something stored long term this way.  That would be good to know.   Thanks again.

Longsnowsm

We've had stuff stored for years (at least 3 or 4 yrs.- some longer) with the pumpnseal and it still is sealed.  I tried to open something about a month ago without removing the tape and letting the pressure off and I could not get it open.  Finally dawned on me I had to pop the pressure to get the lid off.  So yes - it works for long term storage.  I would say as long as your jars do not get wet on the lids or you stack them roughly the tape on the top will hold.  It's more like a plastic duct tape so it's pretty durable. Blessings, TBM

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 08:31:19 PM »
On the Alvin sealer I have had issues with this method.  The issue appears to be in leaks in the hoses or fittings.  I bought the brake bleeder and then attempted to use my foodsaver hose and lid.  I managed to get a few jars sealed but the hose or the fitting started leaking and I couldn't get the pressure back. 

I think I dorked my brake bleeder by pulling powder up into it.  Durr.   I was messing around with something fine like flour and it just went WHOOM.  I figure I wrcked a seal somewhere.

survivalprepdotnet

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 04:23:37 AM »
Wouldn't oxygen absorbers be a bit easier, at least for dry-canning for those of you who are dehydrating and then canning fruits, veggies and meats?

Offline TNSurvivor

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
We use the large and small FoodSaver jar sealers.  They work great for us.  Powder substances in jars filled to high will get sucked up in the air and make for a bad seal if you aren't careful.  It doesn't seem to ruin the lids either so they can be reused over ond over.

Offline steel

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 01:28:33 PM »
I've got both the pump-n-seal and a foodsaver vacuum sealer.  The pump-n-seal actually pulls a little stronger vacuum pressure than the foodsaver but the foodsaver is much better at sealing bags. 

I rigged a way to use the foodsaver mason jar sealer with the pump-n-seal.  Just had to get an adapter for the different size air hoses at Homedepot.  Works great.  Should be able to re-use to mason jar lids for actual canning if you are careful not to mess it up when you open the jar.

I have never tried the poke a hole in a jar lid and tape it down method of the pump-n-seal.  Not sure I would trust the tape to maintain a seal long term.  For short term storage it should work fine but I haven't tried it.  No reason to poke a hole and ruin a good mason jar lid for dry storage either. 

I've also tried vacuuming zip lock bags with the pump-n-seal.  It worked OK but 75% of my ziplock bags lost the seal over time so that method is a no-go for me.  That's a failure of the bags not the ump-n-seal.  I think I used cheap bags, maybe better ones would work?

Offline Fritz_H

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »
WRT vacuum sealing powdery things - I've used the pump-n-seal and the foodsaver, both work.  I need to dredge out my old pump-n-seal to use in the travel trailer.  Put a clean coffee filter on top of powdery things to reduce the risk of them contaminating the seal - worked well for me.  Saw that in the manual or video for one of those two devices.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 07:27:12 AM »
Hi and welcome Fritz H.  Yep that's what I do although I use a piece of wax paper.  I still use my pump-n-seal a lot and it works good.  I never did buy the Food Saver attachment for jars. I've tried to find solutions for stuff that don't require using electricity.  Maybe that's why I loved canning so much too.  Blessings TBM