Author Topic: APPLE BOX CHARCOAL OVEN  (Read 4813 times)

Offline sclindah

• Prepper
  • Garden Harvest
    • Harper Happenings
APPLE BOX CHARCOAL OVEN
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »
I heard an interview about using an applebox as a charcoal oven and am very intrigued.  I have just purchased a solar oven but this could be used on cloudy days in conjunction with it.  I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience using one?

It says that you use one charcoal briquette for each 35 degrees so 10 would heat it to 350.  They figured baking bread daily in it would take about 8 bags of charcoal to store for a year.  My goal for next year is to try this and the solar oven and get proficient in each!

Here's a PDF with  the directions on it and some other alternatives.

http://wellness.byu.edu/pics/documents/wellandwise/combo%20handout%20for%20website.pdf

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Re: APPLE BOX CHARCOAL OVEN
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »
never heard of that before, I saved it for future reference. Seems like it would work as stated. I would probably try putting even more insulation around the box, say a box within another larger box with fibreglass or foam insulation around it, about 3 or more inches would work good.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
I have made a similar oven from a metal can, and seen the cardboard version demonstrated.  Both worked just fine. I did not play around with temperature control vial number of briquettes, but it would be the same principle as used in dutch oven cooking

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 12:59:24 PM »
Wouldn't putting tinfoil on the outside of the box be a bad idea? That should reflect the radiant energy away from the food inside, right?
I'd think you paint the box black and, if anything, line it with tinfoil... but even that I'm not sure about.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:58:02 PM »
Neat plan! I would definitely add an oven thermometer though, I wouldn't trust standardized temperature out of briquettes.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »
I have made a charcoal oven box before. I used a copy paper box, tin foil and charcoal. I estimated that it was about 40 degrees per briquette. It worked really well, even though I improvised based on what I had at the time. I took it apart for now but will keep the supplies on hand to make it again. I used it while camping. What I did was line the lid and inside of the box with heavy duty foil, put the box on its side, put in a couple of rocks and a brick we found at the campsite, and put the charcoal in a foil pie pan. Lit the charcoal outside of the box until it was ready, stuck it in the box between the brick and rocks and put the food in a foil pie pan above it. Put the foil covered lid on at an angle to allow air to circulate. I cooked turkey burgers in it. They turned out just fine, we checked the temp of the meat with a meat thermometer. I did not have an over thermometer with me to verify the oven temp. I will make it again and take pictures to share on here. I will put the post up next week.