Photobucket

Author Topic: outdoor bath house ideas?  (Read 2461 times)

edgerider

outdoor bath house ideas?
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:55:44 AM »
I'm setting up in a hot dry rural area, with bore, and thought a large covered outdoor bath would be great in the summer  A sort of rock pool was what I had in mind, covered with a dome and hopefully with a creeper over the dome.  It could do double duty as a pool and bath, with a seperate japanese style washing bench beside it so you could clean yourself off first before getting into it.  I thought I might make it out of river rocks, perhaps with some sand in the bottom (how to clean that???)

Anyway that is just my initial thoughts on what I wanted to construct and I would be happy to hear from anyone who has any thoughts or knowledge on outdoor baths.  It gets hot here in summer and pretty cool in winter, down to around 5 deg celcius.

Offline occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
Re: outdoor bath house ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
Sounds interesting edgerider. I don't have any experience with what you are describing, but having friend who own something similar, I thought I'd speak up. I'm not sure why you are considering a dome over it. If you are in a hot and dry location, I would for sure have a covering about, perhaps with some louvers that you can open and close to protect yourself from the sun, and perhaps rain/dust storms, or whatever. I would certainly leave out the sand in the bottom idea, since keeping the water clean and filtered is going to be a big enough task. I am guessing that you have electricity, so I would go with a regular in-ground spa filter system. If you can afford the cost, make sure it includes a heater for those cold nights when you want to sneak out there in your robe for a dip with the Mrs.!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Offline outoforder2day

• Prepper
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 02:17:30 PM »
I was thinking of something along these lines (Japanese style bath house?) for the BOL because it would be a more efficient way of keeping a group of people clean.... right? What are folks thoughts on this? For the upstate New York area, I was thinking a heated bath house would be necessary. In the OP's area, you may need a way to keep the water heated in the colder months?

Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline outoforder2day

• Prepper
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »
You should look at cordwood masonry.  A guy by the name of Rob Roy (seriously!) has used it for saunas and guesthouses.  It looks totally cool, and is pretty insulative.

J