Author Topic: Popular Mechanics: 25 Skills Every Man Should Know  (Read 6018 times)

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
Popular Mechanics: 25 Skills Every Man Should Know
« on: November 11, 2009, 03:06:36 PM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4223337.html?page=1

I'm guessing every woman should know these too... ::)

BrianW

Re: Popular Mechanics: 25 Skills Every Man Should Know
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »
Nice of them to have 1 skill per page for 25 pages to click through.   >:(

Cheers

Brian

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »
I got the issue when it came out a couple of years ago, I thought it was ridicules that it had retouch a photo on the list...& back up data and hooking up a HDTV seems pretty brainless to me... How does that make you more of a man? Makes you wonder what kind of men work at that magazine... Where's the skin an animal, or set an animal trap, and lots of other stuff every man should know. Tying fishing knots, reading and using a tape measure... I've seen lots of guys who can't read a tape measure, and definitely don't give them a vintage folding tape measure to use. How about throwing a proper jab or a defensive position for boxing, sighting in a rifle or scope. Properly tie down a load in a truck or on a roof rack, I'm sure we have all seen the guys holding onto the mattress or xmas tree on the roof rack..lol

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:55:23 PM »
...vintage folding tape measure to use.
Not to be picky, but this is a 'carpenter's rule.' I have a fancy one, with a six inch ruled metal sliding extension in the first segment.

Offline TeamStone

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »
Nice of them to have 1 skill per page for 25 pages to click through.   >:(

Cheers

Brian

If you click the little tiny 'print' icon, then you can get the whole article in 1 page.

It is not a very good article though, so even reading the one large page may not be worth the effort...

Offline Ian-FW

• Senior Survivalist
    • Forgotten Weapons
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
I think I prefer Heinlein's list:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Offline mckeyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 02:30:12 PM »
Good list except for a few. Not quite sure why retouch digital photos is a must have skill. Or extend your wireless network. Those are nice to know but not must haves.

edgerider

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »
Some good skills in there HelenWheels, thanks.

I read a story recently that said the last 100 years, which included the industrial age, the space age, the computer age, etc, could just as well be summed up with the term, the Electrical age.  This is because nearly all our developments have been inextricably tied to the inovations in the useage of electricity.  I belive the article quoted that 40% of the raw energy consumed on the planet is converted into electricity!  The point is we are surrounded by these devices, are reliant on them, and for the most part don't really know how they work or how to repair them.  Rebundancy is great but what happens if we get stuck with a faulty car alternator and the spare is faulty too?  Or our solar regulators die, do we know an easy way to prevent our batteries from over charging?  What do we do if we drop out trusty little UHF hand held into a cup of coffee?  Don't laugh, I did that 2 weeks ago with a little uniden one.  What an idiot, what a fluke.

Not many people have the skills to perform basic repairs and mantenance on the myriad of electronic devices we all take for granted every day. Over the years I have learnt some tricks, probably because my brother is a tech and together we repaired things like car alternators, electric fans and radios.  These often have simple obvious faults like a burnt out component or a blown fuse, a loose wire etc.  Recently I repaired a little Sony SW radio that had a simple dry solder joint in the back that prevented it from recieving the AM band.  It would have been tragic to throw it away because of such a simple fault but the reality is a technitian would have charged me $100+ to repair it and since I only paid $60 for it at the flea market I probably would have thrown it out if I or my brother had not been able to diagnose the issue. 

Basic low voltage electronic diagnostic and repair skills are not hard to learn and a multi meter, a soldering iron and a few small tools is all that is required in most cases.  I'll put together a little primer on it and post it up in the appropriate section in a week or so, basic fault finding on autos, how to safely fuse a 12 or 24 volt battery bank together so that if one battery dies you dont lose the whole lot as the one dead one pulls all the others down into oblivion.  I saw this happen, a bloke lost 12 deep cycle batteries simply because he connected them all together without fuses. I won't go into mains voltage as that is better left to the licienced operators and it can kill you if your not very very careful.  Most of the small gear we use though, even if it takes mains voltage, usually runs on low voltage inside and these are safe to look at and do basic repairs with if they are unplugged.  But I'll explain all that in my post.

Frank

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
I like Heinlein's list better.  Some of Popular Mechanic's list seemed unnecessary.  Heinlein's list seems more open-ended.  If you can do those, then you have the skills to do so much more.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »
Not to change the subject...Just wanted EmmaPeel to know I am a big fan.  Had a giant crush on you when I was 14 or so.  Loved the show.
Glad to see your happily married w/ children now.