Author Topic: Mass. town uses goats to clear meadow, save a buck  (Read 3736 times)

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
Mass. town uses goats to clear meadow, save a buck
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:50:52 AM »
Edible, milk producing, lawnmowers... does this fit under Jack's 10% plan?? ;)

Mass. town uses goats to clear meadow, save a buck
Sat Oct 17, 3:25 pm ET

ANDOVER, Mass. – A Boston suburb has some new landscapers that will work for food — a half-dozen goats clearing and maintaining an overgrown public meadow.

Under a pilot program in Andover, Lucy McKain's dairy goats will rotate their grazing around the meadow for an all-you-can-eat buffet of grass, brush and other growth. The goats can clear as much as a half acre every three days at no cost.

The fact it's free is important to Andover officials, since money is tight and they couldn't afford the heavy equipment, fuel and labor needed to clean up the meadow. Plus, goat landscaping is environmentally friendly.

If the program is a success, Andover officials want to make more public parkland available to other grazing animals.

Offline Synaptoman

• Survivor
    • Synaptoman
Re: Mass. town uses goats to clear meadow, save a buck
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »
I like the idea.  Who gets the milk?

Offline War_Eagle

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
Back in 84 or 85, when we had that terrible heat wave and drought, I remember the county let farmers put their cows out on the highway to eat up the Kudzu. Solved two problems right there.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:55:35 AM »
This last summer I saw the same thing here in WA state I think it was on the side of the road on either Hwy 20 or I-90. They had a large area fenced in with that temporary plastic fencing and the goats were just eating away, i only saw them once and wondered why they don't do that more?

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »
 Freakin' Kewel! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:58:16 AM »
This last summer I saw the same thing here in WA state I think it was on the side of the road on either Hwy 20 or I-90. They had a large area fenced in with that temporary plastic fencing and the goats were just eating away, i only saw them once and wondered why they don't do that more?

the goat union isn't very large, and the union-for-people-who-clear-highways is.  period.  follow the money

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 05:34:07 PM »
There is a lady here that rents goats, I used two goats to clear blackberrys (the kudzu of the northwest) out of my back yard.  Was awesome, cheap ($60 for a week), my daughter loved it, and was good for the environment.

http://www.thegoatlady.org/

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »
I wish we had a clear the side of the road union here in PA.  To many folks here are just plain ol littering asshats. You don't need a sign to see the state line...just look for the mickey-d bags laying along the road.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 07:00:38 AM »
I wish we had a clear the side of the road union here in PA.  To many folks here are just plain ol littering asshats. You don't need a sign to see the state line...just look for the mickey-d bags laying along the road.

I always new we had hit the PA state line because of the orange construction signs everywhere!   :D