Author Topic: Home made mini stove windscreen  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Home made mini stove windscreen
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
   I am in the process of making a bugout bag for my wife, daughter and myself. I have a pack for Search and Rescue which would work in a pinch. I am reading the forums on BOB's. I have been making lists and shopping for items to go in them. The other day I was in REI looking around and saw a folding metal windscreen to go around a little stove. They were around $15 and being from my Scottish daddy, I was to cheap to buy one. I still wanted one for my little Esbit stove I use, so I thought I would make one. Here is my results.....

I went to the store and got a waxy cardboard box from the produce department...

Then I used a spare board as a straight edge to cut it. I just eyeballed it, but it turned out to be 30"x 9"

The cut out ....

I notched the edge so when wrapped in a circle it would lock together and hold it's shape

I then rolled it over the edge of my bench to make it easier to work with as the box is really stiff..

I then grabbed my stove to test it out.. We were actually having a really windy/raining yucky day so it was a good test situation

The wind was so strong it blew it over so I threw a rock on top to hold it down..

Without windscreen

Rolled up for storage...

Overall I was impressed with how well it actually worked, it only took ten minutes to make so I'm gonna make a few more.
I figure it could also double as tinder/fire starter in a pinch and since it was free my Scottish genetics are HAPPY!!! 8)

John Q Public

Re: Home made mini stove windscreen
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
Nice job, Bailey.

This got me thinking of other inexpensive ways to build a windscreen that would be durable, lightweight, and non-flammable.

How about a nice piece of unfinished aluminum roof flashing? Something that could be rolled up just like your cardboard. It is costs just about nothing, weighs less, can't catch on fire, and could double as a signal mirror.

Something like this: http://images.orgill.com/200x200/1684448.jpg

A 10 foot roll of it s less than $6.00

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:08:20 PM »
  I actually have some of that flashing and was looking at it, but I was afraid it would be to sharp and cut my pack.

John Q Public

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
Good catch.  I neglected to think about that.

However, you could roll over the edges.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:44:45 AM »
If the edges are rolled over, it might not roll up to tightly at all.

Supertramp

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:25:29 PM »
if i am  using my alcohol stove i just bring a piece of tinfoil to wrap around leaving 3/4 inch of space around but what i really like is my litle hobo twig stove (modified juice/coffee can). i can boil water quite fast with a handful of twigs but when none are available i have drilled holes in it that i can slide two tentpegs into and place my alcohol stove in at a proper height to heat the pot.it's the perfect windscreen and an alternative stove and also something to pack the whole works in

Offline glockman1727ak47

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:26 AM »
Great Post. I would not pay $15 for a windscreen.  I like the idea of tin foil better. You can also use the tin foil for cooking.

The best thing to use the tin foil for is a hat so the black helicopters don't get you! A little humor for ya.  ;D