Author Topic: I'm a woman that is gathering info, like practical clothes and hair......  (Read 12467 times)

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
....When I became very serious about being a survivalist, I realized that many things would have to change, for me to maintain a natural look and get clothing that would be easy to care for and try to look good too! Oh yeah, to keep my man a happy camper.......while being in a camping like atmosphere, I'm talking basic training for women.

My hair needed to look good, but basically needed to be maintained by me and/or my husband. Problem, it would have to be easy for him.....he is not a stylist! So I chose to go with long hair which could be worn up/fancy, braided/kept to not have to brush, french braided/to give class to any survivalist outfit, pony tail/easy put up, hair clip up/for quick hair put up, curled and down/to look great for going out (now) and lots of other ways. I had to keep in mind there may be no stylist, no nail salons, possibly not electricity....etc, etc. WHAT STYLE HAVE YOU CHOSE? IS IT EASIER THAN I'VE CHOSEN?

Clothing.......problem! It depends on what you believe is going to happen in the future? For me anything could happen. Ok, first thought is what if I had to run......with my bug out bag? I need something that is easy, comfortable, easy to clean in a pond.......even bigger problem. I need this clothing to blend in with the surroundings if I'm being chased in an unlawful environment........even bigger and bigger problem!! For me, I chose hunting gear. Oh yeah! And this gear can be used for hunting too. Hey, I was raised in Detroit, Michigan.......but now I am a hunter. I found out that the hunting clothing meets all of these needs. And these clothes go on sale ladies! Yahoo! I have my practical hunter pants and I buy simple tank tops to make them look good.....oh yeah, even with lace.......that makes it fun! If you notice this clothing has many pockets and you are going to need them. Like lip gloss for chapped lips, ammo, breakfast bars, water, you know important stuff! Make sure you have a good coat w/hood, gloves, hat, etc. for cold nights away from home, just like hunting is. If you have a good coat, you will not need sleeping bag. I'd rather have and carry a coat. SO WHAT HAVE YOU FELLOW FEMALES CHOSEN FOR BUG OUT GET AWAY? DO YOU HAVE SOME GOOD IDEAS?

Hey, have a good bug out time and have fun doing it!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: I'm a woman that is gathering info, like practical clothes and hair......
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »
I'm a super-comfy type of girl.

I have long hair, and I only ever wear t-shirts and jeans, or tank tops and jeans.  Or if I'm feeling particularly brave, khakis instead of jeans.

Okay, I own a few dresses too.  But I don't like to admit it.  If I wear them in front of my family, they go ape s***, talking about how I look like "a girl".  ::)  But heck, if Lara Croft can wear a dress once in a while, I can too.  ;D

Hair is usually either braided, or in a pony tail.  I made my bangs short so that I could leave my hair down once in a while, but it's really tough for me to allow it to stay down.  I'll subconsciously throw it in a pony tail, and forget that I've done it.

Also, I haven't been to a hair stylist in.... about 6 years.  Maybe longer.  So I don't worry about color or any of that nonsense.  I am who I am, and I don't do too much to disguise that.

Oh, same with makeup.  If I remember to, I'll put on some mascara or something, but I usually go weeks without remembering.

And I knit my own accessories (hats, mitts, etc).  I'm working my way up to knitting my own sweaters and jackets, but I'm not patient enough to sit there and knit a sweater all at once.  I like quick projects that I can see progress on immediately.

sarahluker

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
To my mothers chagrin, I don't wear make up very often, my hair is silver with a little dark left, but I refuse to color again.  I wear it in a long bob which I can cut to a passable level should the need arise.  Clothes are comfy and basic.  I do have some dress wear but just enough to be acceptable at church.  I do know how to sew and can sew by hand if I had to.  I have been collecting the notions needed for making clothes and also extra fabric.  I still haven't settled on anything for BOB's.  My greatest concern is being clean I guess.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
I'm a super-comfy type of girl.

I have long hair, and I only ever wear t-shirts and jeans, or tank tops and jeans.  Or if I'm feeling particularly brave, khakis instead of jeans.

Okay, I own a few dresses too.  But I don't like to admit it.  If I wear them in front of my family, they go ape s***, talking about how I look like "a girl".  ::)  But heck, if Lara Croft can wear a dress once in a while, I can too.  ;D

Comfy, sounds good to me too.......especially if I have to do a lot of active things.

Also, I haven't been to a hair stylist in.... about 6 years.  Maybe longer.  So I don't worry about color or any of that nonsense.  I am who I am, and I don't do too much to disguise that.

Oh, same with makeup.  If I remember to, I'll put on some mascara or something, but I usually go weeks without remembering.

And I knit my own accessories (hats, mitts, etc).  I'm working my way up to knitting my own sweaters and jackets, but I'm not patient enough to sit there and knit a sweater all at once.  I like quick projects that I can see progress on immediately.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:47:34 PM by OC Celtic Lass »

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 05:04:30 PM »
So if you have a quote from someone that is too big, you cannot respond with it. Interesting.

Hey Sister Wolf,
I like clothes comfy too, especially if I am going to be really active.
Bangs are a good idea.
Oh, oh you let it out you have a dress. :o

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »
To my mothers chagrin, I don't wear make up very often, my hair is silver with a little dark left, but I refuse to color again.  I wear it in a long bob which I can cut to a passable level should the need arise.  Clothes are comfy and basic.  I do have some dress wear but just enough to be acceptable at church.  I do know how to sew and can sew by hand if I had to.  I have been collecting the notions needed for making clothes and also extra fabric.  I still haven't settled on anything for BOB's.  My greatest concern is being clean I guess.
Sarah, Regarding makeup, we really don't need it as a necessity, but it is nice to cover blemishes and imperfections. I just use a basic stick of makeup for imperfections, while I have it that is. Hey a bob might be an easier idea. Sewing by hand is a big necessity for mending clothes. As far as clean.......it is a problem. I know if I am on foot, like camping, I will preserve water to drink.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »
Funny, SW and I were just talking about this last night. I don't wear makeup, once in a blue moon I'll dust on some tinted sunscreen and a bit of gloss and mascara but I can count on one hand the number of times a year I bother. I wear my hair long and get it cut once or twice a year by someone walking distance from my homestead.  They are into retro hairstyles and so am I which is fantastic. I pretty much wear my naturally spiral curled hair undyed either up in a bun or a pony tail unless I am headed out then I try my hand at Victory curls or do something cool with pin curls, which I am just learning. I know how to make basic makeup (kohl, lip tint and the like) so in a pinch I can always make do. While it stated out of concern for the horrible things they put in makeup when I got serious about prepping I focused my energies elsewhere although if I so please I can always whip some up. I also don't use shampoo often, once a month or so, and found my hair is much happier without it. I still rinse and moisturize but I generally avoid detergents in my hair. What I do use is a homemade natural acid cleansing powder that travels swell in any small plastic bag. In the PAW I would probably continue as I am save for my need for sunblock, while I have some stockpiled I haven't really investigated natural alternatives for it.

I like it all when it comes to clothes but my default is jeans and a long sleeve tee. I love dressing up but only when it is something I have made and seeing as in PAW I won't be skipping off to fancy soirées I am not terribly concerned about it. I sew, not well but I do sew and have a nice stockpile of old patterns should the need arise, although truth be told save for the need to purchase for jeans I probably have enough clothes to last me and three other people well into the century. As for what goes into my BOB? Ex Officio gear mostly. I love their versatile undies and durable attire.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:25 AM »
Funny, SW and I were just talking about this last night. I don't wear makeup, once in a blue moon I'll dust on some tinted sunscreen and a bit of gloss and mascara but I can count on one hand the number of times a year I bother. I wear my hair long and get it cut once or twice a year by someone walking distance from my homestead.  They are into retro hairstyles and so am I which is fantastic. I pretty much wear my naturally spiral curled hair undyed either up in a bun or a pony tail unless I am headed out then I try my hand at Victory curls or do something cool with pin curls, which I am just learning. I know how to make basic makeup (kohl, lip tint and the like) so in a pinch I can always make do. While it stated out of concern for the horrible things they put in makeup when I got serious about prepping I focused my energies elsewhere although if I so please I can always whip some up. I also don't use shampoo often, once a month or so, and found my hair is much happier without it. I still rinse and moisturize but I generally avoid detergents in my hair. What I do use is a homemade natural acid cleansing powder that travels swell in any small plastic bag. In the PAW I would probably continue as I am save for my need for sunblock, while I have some stockpiled I haven't really investigated natural alternatives for it. Oh wow, I need to find out about some of these things. Like "homemade natural acid cleansing powder". Where can I find out about this? And what is it? Awesome!

I like it all when it comes to clothes but my default is jeans and a long sleeve tee. I love dressing up but only when it is something I have made and seeing as in PAW I won't be skipping off to fancy soirées I am not terribly concerned about it. I sew, not well but I do sew and have a nice stockpile of old patterns should the need arise, although truth be told save for the need to purchase for jeans I probably have enough clothes to last me and three other people well into the century. As for what goes into my BOB? Ex Officio gear mostly. I love their versatile undies and durable attire.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 11:12:30 AM »
Over load on quote. Sorry.

How can I find out about this .....acid to wash hair? Interesting. What is it? Sounds interesting!

amanadoo

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:02:55 AM »
A little oil can go a long way if you needed it to. From keeping your skin soft, to chap stick replacement to using in your hair. Plus, if absolutely, positively necessary, you could use it to clean your body with in lieu of soap, like they did in ancient Greece. Depending on what kind you use, it would also smell nice (I'm thinking specifically of coconut oil, but there are lots), which could be a real boon after a while post-SHTF.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
Amanado, That's right they used oil to clean without water! Cool! You know my bug out bag is getting huge!!! I'm going to have to not just go walking, but also put that back pack on my back when I walk.......or else I will not be use to it. Of course the neighbors might add to the gossip about me already! Yeah, what is that woman doing now? Yeah, everyone walks for miles with their back pack on there back.......it's the craz!

amanadoo

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 11:19:07 AM »
Amanado, That's right they used oil to clean without water! Cool! You know my bug out bag is getting huge!!! I'm going to have to not just go walking, but also put that back pack on my back when I walk.......or else I will not be use to it. Of course the neighbors might add to the gossip about me already! Yeah, what is that woman doing now? Yeah, everyone walks for miles with their back pack on there back.......it's the craz!

Lol! I hear that!

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 09:35:46 PM »
How can I find out about this .....acid to wash hair? Interesting. What is it? Sounds interesting!
I'll start a new thread on acid rinses. :)

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »
Ok ebonearth. That sounds great!

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 09:32:54 PM »
I'm also a t-shirt and jeans kinda girl. I love long sleeved t-shirts in the spring and fall too. I have a lot of natural fiber knit sweaters/jackets for wearing out to check on the animals when it's cooler...and cowgirl boots!! I bought some military boots for myself about a year ago, just because they were on sale for only $5...wish I could remember the site! They're tan in color and I love them. I've never been hunting myself, but I'd love to have some camo gear for myself...and a pre '75 Jeep to ride in post-EMP ;-)

My hair is about shoulder length and I love it. I can curl the bottom out and add a little flair, and I can easily put it up in a pony tail. I usually just like to fluff it up out of the shower (sometimes with a bit of mouse) and pull one side across my forehead and tuck it behind the opposite ear. It's not so long as to be desperately hot in the summer, nor too short to be cool in the winter. I don't really need any products to style it, and a few bobby pins turn it into a french bun that looks glamorous. I do dye my hair though. I'm extremely fair skinned, and have super dark, nearly black natural hair. So, I dye it red and everyone says that it looks natural and that it looks so much better that way. I look a little goth with my natural hair color - yuck.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
Vashti, Alright you wear cowgirl boots!!! I also wear those. Do you like to ride? When I lived in Arizona I went to a ranch near me every weekend with my daughter. I learned so much......helping the ranch hands out there. Great experience. I liked your information with good tips for me. Thanks.

skiffgirl

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
I am a tee shirt or tank top and jeans or jean skirt kind of girl. I have a couple pairs of fat baby boots (cowboy boots) that I just love or my hiking boots. My hair is shoulder blade length and getting longer. I cut it off to my chin 2 years ago and donated it to locks of love. I am so happy it is getting longer again though, I will not ever have short hair again, it is to much work. I don't want to have to do more to it than brush it and put it up. I don't wear much makeup either, I have to be to work at 7 in the morning and if I tried to put on mascara that early in the morning I would put an eye out.

I am still putting together my get home bag but I keep a good pair of shoes, my hunting coat and pants in the car. I also keep a good hat and insulated leather gloves in the car. If I had to walk home it would probably be because we had a tsunami and the route i would have to take is through a hill side filled with roses that would be a bear to hike through. 

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 11:48:54 PM »
I am a tee shirt or tank top and jeans or jean skirt kind of girl. I have a couple pairs of fat baby boots (cowboy boots) that I just love or my hiking boots. My hair is shoulder blade length and getting longer. I cut it off to my chin 2 years ago and donated it to locks of love. I am so happy it is getting longer again though, I will not ever have short hair again, it is to much work. I don't want to have to do more to it than brush it and put it up. I don't wear much makeup either, I have to be to work at 7 in the morning and if I tried to put on mascara that early in the morning I would put an eye out.

I am still putting together my get home bag but I keep a good pair of shoes, my hunting coat and pants in the car. I also keep a good hat and insulated leather gloves in the car. If I had to walk home it would probably be because we had a tsunami and the route i would have to take is through a hill side filled with roses that would be a bear to hike through. 

.......I would put an eye out :D  That was good!

Offline keltikkat

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »
Clothes- whateveris durable and comefy from Goodwill. (love the cheap)
Hair- shoulder length for the moment. also will let it grow.
But my must haves and its in the bob is socks (love the handknit, and the fun ones)

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 07:45:32 PM »
Clothes- whateveris durable and comefy from Goodwill. (love the cheap)
Hair- shoulder length for the moment. also will let it grow.
But my must haves and its in the bob is socks (love the handknit, and the fun ones)

keltikkat, Welcome to the women's section! We women survivors are an awesome group! Man, can the other women tell you much! But, for me I am a "spit fire" and my husband says so too. I like to look good for our man and prepare........and yes, we can do both! So, because you are so brave to talk to me.....I am going to add a great post point to your post to us women! +1 I love Goodwill and Salvation Army for good stuff! You are a good person to know.......you know a deal! Alright! But most of all, I like (love the handknit, and the fun one) I know all about this, it is great! I hope to hear much from you! Thanks.

skiffgirl

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
Yeah, I am also one for a good deal. I just don't buy new clothes. I shop garage sales, slavation army, ebay and so on. I would rather spend my money on paying off debit and prepps than new clothes. The only things I buy new for my self are outdoor clothes and that is because we live in Alaska and the average winter clothes are not warm enough.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 08:43:55 PM »
It sounds like a plan skiffgirl! Yes, we all have to have a plan. I am just glad you get it! Ok, so I need to hit the garage sales for good stuff this weekend! You know, for the things that I need and cheap. Then if I cannot find them, go to the thrift stores and on.

It is good to know you skiffgirl. Don't forget to tell me when you find sales! Your friend, Nina.

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »
Oh I do love to ride...so peaceful and relaxing, and then you can gallop and really let your imagination and adrenaline soar!!  My boots, however are necessary with a barn/corrals full of critters, but they are the best footwear I ever purchased. Kept in the mudroom near the door, and slipped on fast without laces and able to take any kind of muck and mess my little farm can come up with, and still look good!  ;D

Sometimes girls, all you need is a few glittery bobby pins or a couple of fancy hair clips/barrets to make you look gorgeous. No matter what style your hair is cut into, or how many greys you saw in the mirror this morning. No one will notice if you smile.

Baby Girls

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 12:27:15 AM »
Skiffgirl, I am all about garage sales!!!! Goodwill too. Don't see the point in paying the ridicules price for new clothes when you can drop by a garage sale and they still have tags on them or have hardly been worn. I am tshirt, sweatshirt and jeans type of gal. Don't have a pair of those boots everyone is raving about. Can anyone tell me why you should have a pair? Got the sneaker and hiker boot. As far as hair, couldn't agree with you more. Long in my opinion is the way to go. Brush and pull it up. If it is let down and curled, someone is getting married. As far as make up hardly ever wear it, wouldn't miss it so I am not bothering to make that one of my preps in the bob. If it ever did hit the fan where I live I would be too busy defending the home and trying like heck to get out of there. Your from Alaska, ahhhh I do want to visit there someday. I'm in Ohio if you were curious, northeast. My preference vehicle wise is a jeep wrangler. Rugged but nice and breezy in the summer.  :)

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »
Oh I do love to ride...so peaceful and relaxing, and then you can gallop and really let your imagination and adrenaline soar!!  

Oh yeah, it certainly is an adrenaline soar!! I already want to go to your place.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »
Skiffgirl, I am all about garage sales!!!! Goodwill too. Don't see the point in paying the ridicules price for new clothes when you can drop by a garage sale and they still have tags on them or have hardly been worn. I am tshirt, sweatshirt and jeans type of gal. Don't have a pair of those boots everyone is raving about. Can anyone tell me why you should have a pair? Got the sneaker and hiker boot. As far as hair, couldn't agree with you more. Long in my opinion is the way to go. Brush and pull it up. If it is let down and curled, someone is getting married. As far as make up hardly ever wear it, wouldn't miss it so I am not bothering to make that one of my preps in the bob. If it ever did hit the fan where I live I would be too busy defending the home and trying like heck to get out of there. Your from Alaska, ahhhh I do want to visit there someday. I'm in Ohio if you were curious, northeast. My preference vehicle wise is a jeep wrangler. Rugged but nice and breezy in the summer.  :)

babygirls, I think we need to get the kind of boots we need. Cowboy boots are great riding, to stay in the stirrups and work around a ranch situation. Of course it is good to kick your heels up to line dancing. But, at our ranch, which is wet most of the time.......with no animals yet, I need waterproof boots. And, yes they are easy to slip on still, but they keep my feet dry in a wet environment. Big 5 Sporting goods has them for 12.00 for fishing. Walmart has them in different states, has similar boots, forgot the amount. But, if I did not have a wet environment then you could go with anything comfortable. Another problem is dry time and rocky terrain on our ranch. I have torn up my boots, got cactus in my sneakers, so I have to go with hiking boots. Hey, maybe you gals have some good ideas? Thanks for talking.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 04:21:44 PM »
Same here, I have my mucking boots because my poor hiking boots can't keep pig waste from sinking into my socks! As a tip take two 2.5" pieces of 2x4 screw them onto some larger piece of scrap wood so that you can hang them upside down to dry. also makes it a snap to hose them clean. The rest of the time, I use my trusty 130$ hiking boots I picked up on clearance for 25$. Unfortunately they have spoiled my ankles so I need to start hunting for frugal replacements for them just in case!

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 06:46:10 PM »
Same here, I have my mucking boots because my poor hiking boots can't keep pig waste from sinking into my socks! As a tip take two 2.5" pieces of 2x4 screw them onto some larger piece of scrap wood so that you can hang them upside down to dry. also makes it a snap to hose them clean. The rest of the time, I use my trusty 130$ hiking boots I picked up on clearance for 25$. Unfortunately they have spoiled my ankles so I need to start hunting for frugal replacements for them just in case!

Wooo girl, you have some serious stuff you do not need on your socks, besides mud. Yep, pig waste is a problem! Wow! I'm glad you figured it out! Amazing. Thanks for the advice on hanging and cleaning.

I really need my inexpensive hiking boots when I check and repair fence lines on 44 acres. The bottoms are harder to not get cactus going through the soles, like in sneakers. Yet, in the rainy months, I need my fishing boots. Yet in the summer those hiking boots get warm with all that walking.

Baby Girls

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 11:00:48 PM »
Amazing.... The information I gather from all of you. I will say maybe as stupid as it sounds for me to ask a question like whats with the boots, I realize that we live in completely different homefronts. You guys all live on ranches and have land, I have a suburban small city lot that borders Youngstown Ohio. One of the higher crime areas in the country. Which prompted me to say I would be busy trying to defend my home if it hit the fan. As sad as it sounds I cant think of how it would be useful for me to own a pair. I never rode a horse, probably kill myself if I tried to.  ;) If I ever do make it one day to own some land which by the way is my life dream, I will remember all of your comments. Thanks all for your great in site.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 11:20:42 PM »
Actually Baby Girls I just have a small rural lot (3.1 acres which is small for farming around here), if only I had more land! Still I have come to the conclusion that more land is less than I can work using mostly human power. You may be surprised to hear that  I used to live not to far from Youngstown, west side of Cleveland mostly and for a year north of Kent. Considering your approximate (I am estimating) lot size I would think muck boots are probably less than sensible. Of course, I wish I had some back at my old place when the basement flooded. It flooded a lot. Don't worry about the land, you'll get there! If you are seriously interested on farming in Ohio though, I have some links for you.