Author Topic: Jack with a slingshot, new video on the Youtube Channel  (Read 7845 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Jack with a slingshot, new video on the Youtube Channel
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »
OK, I am no Rufus Hussey (the Bean Shooter Man) but I did have a lot of fun with my new Barnett Slingshot, I think you guys will be surprised just how quickly you can get accurate with a sling shot.  Haven't used a sling shot since high school and bought this less then two weeks ago, enjoy.  Any questions ask away,

Barnett Diablo Slingshot made by Barnett Crossbows - Survival Podcast Review

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Re: Jack with a slingshot, new video on the Youtube Channel
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »
Awesome video Jack! Thanks for posting it.

It has been my mission within the last month to learn how to hunt and kill tree rats in as many ways as I can figure. I have a Marksman Slingshot which was one of the medium priced slingshots they had at Bass Pro Shop. I noticed that you were firing with the slingshot verticle. I have noticed others using it horizontal. In fact, this is how the packaging for it said you should use it. They said you could use the top most prong as a targeting sight.

My questions are : When you are firing verticle how do you aim, and do you think the horizontal method gives any advantages? Also, would you suggest using the steel shot over the stones on the ground, and would marbles be just as good?

Now I am going to watch the rest of your youtube videos. Thanks!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:41:43 PM »
*dies laughing*  Oh this is fun.  :D 

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »
Great video and really interesting to me as this is one of the few hunting weapons I can legally buy, own and use in the UK.

I'm sold on one now!  Thanks :)

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »
Right, found one for £15GBP delivered which is not a bad price but I have a question...

Can you fold it up/dismantle it for easy transportation?

Offline Cheeta68

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 05:05:33 PM »
Great video Jack. I have been wanting one since I saw the links to the two guys on your earlier show. I think i might go get one this week and wreak havoc on the squirrels in my yard.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »
Awesome video Jack! Thanks for posting it.

It has been my mission within the last month to learn how to hunt and kill tree rats in as many ways as I can figure. I have a Marksman Slingshot which was one of the medium priced slingshots they had at Bass Pro Shop. I noticed that you were firing with the slingshot verticle. I have noticed others using it horizontal. In fact, this is how the packaging for it said you should use it. They said you could use the top most prong as a targeting sight.

My questions are : When you are firing verticle how do you aim, and do you think the horizontal method gives any advantages?

First I don't even get how people shoot sideways, not saying it is wrong, just counter to what I know as an archer.  I don't turn my bow sideways to shoot.  I am no sling shot expert at all but what I am doing is basically applying bow shooting technique to the sling.  With a bow I shoot three finger apache style.  I always "anchor" with my index finger at the corner of my mouth and my left arm is always fully extended.  With this approach on the bow I get consistency.  My site picture is always the same so shooting at various ranges becomes intuitive.  The arrow is a basic site but it is a guide rather then like a rifle site.

What I am doing with the sling shot is pretty much the same other then my anchor point is my cheek bone under my right eye.  I center the pouch between the forks and I try to keep the bands as level as possible relative to the frame.  I then adjust the site picture by moving my body left right or up and down but the overall frame is 100% consistent.  What happens is you quickly begin to know at a given distance the impact will be higher then the site picture appears (close up) almost dead on (medium distances) or below the site picture (long distances).  Sounds complicated but your mental computer begins to take over very quickly and you don't even think about it.  The key though is the same draw, the same anchor and hence the same flight.  The variable is your ability to do it right and the ammo, I will save the ammo for your next question.

Also note that that guy Rufus Hussey that can kill bugs, shoot cans out of the air, etc. may not be as apparently consistent as I try to be (because after 50 years it is total instinctive shooting) he sure doesn't turn his bean shooter sideways, though I am sure he could.  Again not putting down the sideways approach just telling you my view and that I am far more accurate with a vertical approach.  I am sure that 25 years of archery has something to do with it though.  I would say though give it a try.  Start by getting however close you need to to hit 100% of the time, take one step back and keep going till you can hit 10 of 10, another step back and repeat. You will be shocked after a week of practice. 

Also, would you suggest using the steel shot over the stones on the ground, and would marbles be just as good?

Now I am going to watch the rest of your youtube videos. Thanks!

100% yes!  In spite of the fact that Shannon Appleby made fun of my blaming the nuts in the video the fact are they begin to rise almost like an air soft pellet in a hop up system.  They also curve radically over time to the left or right.  For some reason the hickories all curved left and the acorns all curved right.  The best way to really see the curve is in a safe place shoot the ammo high and far against a blue sky you will be shocked at how it reacts to distance in curve and up flow.

The rocks do this less because they more dense and less effected by airflow.  However they are all different weights, shapes, forms, etc.  That means less consistency so a ball bearing or a glass marble will be much more consistent shot to shot.  I am going to rig up some sort of trap and buy about 10lbs of white 5/8th marbles and see how accurate I can get.

I still recommend shooting a lot of rocks and learning what type of rocks make the best ammo, in the bush you may not have the option of marbles or steel shot.  You might even have to resort to say a hickory nut which is why I was playing with them.  Think of it this way did you notice how much easier it was for me to hit the sign with rocks then acorns?  From the few pieces of proper ammo I have shot so far I think you get that much improvement over the rocks.

As I do more with it I will shoot more vids.  I was pretty happy to be able to hit those nuts though, it ain't as easy as it looks folks,  ;)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
Right, found one for £15GBP delivered which is not a bad price but I have a question...

Can you fold it up/dismantle it for easy transportation?

Not this model but it doesn't take up much room.  You have to assemble it when you buy it but taking it apart will be a pain in the butt and probably detrimental if done often.  Marksmen makes a folding model with magnum bands that should do well.  I just got this one because it seemed to be about the best quality of the ones they had at Academy Sports when I was there and bored on a Monday at lunch time. 

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »
On the acorn thing...I was laughing at the irony of possibly using an acorn nut to take out a squirrel.  :D

Thanks for your answers. I have very little experience with slingshots and bows and so it is good to have some pointers from people who have done it before.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »
I have an old marksman model that does not have a wrist brace.  I got it sometime in my teens.  I replaced the bands with the heavy hunting bands made by the company who makes wrist rockets.  I noticed a considerable difference in a standard band from marksman and the hunting bands from wrist rocket.  I like the hunting bands better.  They are black in color and I got it for around $3.50.  I toss it into my pack on any canoe or backpack trip.  It is a lot of fun to launch rocks at trees and other targets.  Haven't tried to take any game with it yet though.

Nice video Jack and I see you are sporting a beard!  I think beards are making a come back in fashion!

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 09:28:58 AM »
"I replaced the bands with the heavy hunting bands made by the company who makes wrist rockets." Did the same thing this morning with black bands from Meijer, Nate ! ;D

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »
Jimbo,
Those are the exact same bands I bought.  From Meijer too!  How do you like them?