Author Topic: How hungry would you have to be to eat _____ ?  (Read 24391 times)

Offline texican

• Survivor
Re: How hungry would you have to be to eat _____ ?
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2010, 08:51:43 PM »
I truly regret not having tried moose and seal... raw!
I was working out of Nome, in Bering Land Bridge NPP, and some elder natives showed up with a hindquarter of moose and a whole seal.  Nailed em up on both sides of the door of the cabin.  A bucket of rancid fat was set by the door.  I should have tried some the first day, but back then I was a little more skittish.  Two days later, the critter chunks were smaller, and they were wiggling with maggots (it was in the 80s outside).  At that point I could barely walk by without half fainting.

Now, if given the chance over, would eat on both critters every day.

Not too much I haven't eaten.  I know, given the chance, after about three days of eating nothing and with no prospects, I'd eat anything that didn't want to eat me first...  Never say Never. 

Hunger is the best Spice!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
I really can't say that I am an adventurous eater... but along the way I tried several things as a teenage exchange student -- diniguan (blood gravy made when a freshly-killed pig is to be roasted), salted bangus (whitefish) -- fishy and reaaaally salty, raw fish soaked in lemon juice (similar to ceviche made in Mexico)...

I recently tried raw oysters for the first time... never thought I would, but it was offered complimentary from the restaurant's chef... happily, they had piled on fresh grated horseradish and cucumber, so it tasted mostly like the veges with a sort of fishy aftertaste (supposedly the roe gave the fishy taste). It was not nearly as disgusting as I had expected...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2010, 02:07:23 PM »
Things I would never, ever, ever eat, even if I was dying:  Balut.  Balut.  Balut, and also Balut.

Give a warning next time SW! I looked it up.. eww.

These are all gross:

http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

Balut made it on there

Oh I wish I had not just had lunch. I had to pass this link around to sicken other ppl here at work.. Spread the joy...

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »
I possess a pretty adventurous palate and love trying new things more often times than not. From the crudely amassed list I have enjoyed:

- an egg that wasn't scrambled - OMNOMNOM! While I'm not very fond of runny whites they are lovely raw. Barely cooked yolk + rare steak = delicious!
- organ meat (liver, heart, gizzard, brains, chitterlings, kidney, lung), sweetbreads or odd animal parts (chicken feet, chicken combs, egg sacs) - Everything but the egg sacs due to lack of opportunity. I hear the fallopian tubes are chewy but maybe I'll have a chance one my hens get old. I love mollejas (chicken gizzards) and stewed pigs feet personally, provided they have been cleaned well. I've eaten them when they were funky, not good eats. I was exposed to strange food as a child though, I remember the criadillas aka grilled bull 'meatballs' I ate as a teen. Thanks Dad!
- scrapple, headcheese... any jellied-meat - Scrapple is awesome! Aspic is divine! Pretty much no problem here.
- raw fat (blubber) and animal cartilage - YUM! Just add salt! Nankotsu tastes strange to me compared to how I have it at home though.
- some types of fish (sardines, anchovies, herring, eel, lutefisk, etc) - I'm fine with most and the first two are stinky nummies. Fish eyes are briny. If you can eat raw oysters then fish eyes are about the same.
- rat, mouse, dog, cat, horse meat - Never had any of these. Unless guinea pig counts as rat. Mouse just seems like too much bother for such a small amount of meat. I may have had horse once but my father would not confirm it when I pressed him. Do you spot a trend?
- worms, grubs and various other insects - I've tried some but this is my most challenging area, so much so I made a whole thread about entomophagy.
- Blutwurst - Morcilla aka blood sausage is one of my favorite foods. Especially when they get the intestinal sheath so crispy that it pops when you bite it. What's not to like again?
- Cuttlefish, Baby Octopus, other Cephalopods - I have this fairly often, raw or cooked. I could eat Octopus every day if I could afford it. I had some Sunday with chorizo, preserved lemon and frisee.
- Crocodile, Alligator, Snake - I love their delicate flesh. First time I had the opportunity to enjoy reptile was in Louisiana.
- Fufu and Natto - More on the aformentioned slimy or fermented vegetables. I don't understand it but it is a cultural thing so I eat it anyway. Fufu and other root vegetables are tasty. Natto I did not like so much, particularly with that flavorless radish it was served with on both occasions I had it, plus something served with it was the consistency and texture of cold mucus.
- Snails - I don't just eat them whenever possible, I am trying to grow my own! Gastropods are that good to me. In fact when I head home to the Caribbean my family buys a few pounds of Conch (large sea snail) so I can chew on it raw. It remains my favorite food.

Things I would love to try: Haggis, Casu Marzu, Escamoles, Bierkase, Durian, exotic meats (Kangaroo, Camel), exotic fish (Hakarl, Fugu), Cibreo (cock's combs - I just need to kill enough roosters).

I was just out with a friend the other night having Sardinian goat cheese wishing it was Casu Marzu. Shame it is so peskily illegal!

Probably the only time (not being an afishionado) that I ever gagged when dining out as a child was having overcooked Ceti pasteles (Puerto Rican 'tamales'). Ceti are no bigger than an inch, the Ceti fish is transparent in color and only fished at night when the moon is waning. So if you can imagine mushy tiny pale whitish fish with little black eyes looking back at you from a boiled root vegetable package... you get the idea. Once you get past the slime they are actually pretty tasty and if you can get them fried they are yummy! Still ate it though in less time than it took me to eat a McDonalds cheeseburger when I was a kid. Seriously.

As for things I would have to be very hungry to eat:
  • Baby mice
  • Human placenta
  • Tarantula
  • Grasshoppers - I have tried them and thus know I would have to be starving.
  • Bird's Nest Soup
  • Surstr√∂mming - for the uninitiated 'fermented' herring. Same goes for fermented Seal fins.
  • Milk - Unless it is in coffee or transformed into something else I can't abide it.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:30:41 PM by ebonearth »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »
And this year's Androgum Award goes to... ebonearth!

(+1 to whoever recognizes that first, without Googling it.)

Just kidding -- it's great that you can eat so many different things.  It's definitely a survivalist trait!  I think it's good for parents to expose kids to lots of "weird" foods.  My dad tried, but he didn't actually have much experience with non-Western cuisine.  But at least I can eat canned sardines and whole lobster and stinky French cheeses -- I know some folks can't even handle these.

I saw a friend's ten-year-old refuse to eat steak because he wasn't used to the texture.  Beef had to be hamburger for him, otherwise it was yucky.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »
I've never met a food I didn't at least try.  Still haven't found anything I wouldn't eat a second time. 

Its all just mind over matter, and what goes in my mouth doesn't matter, as long as it fills the belly and keeps the machine movin :)  I still have some preferences though.

Ebonearth, your a woman after my own heart stomach.  Love so many of the things on your list.  Particularly the cephalopods, snail and sardines.

I love that all three of my boys (3, 8 and 11) love all the same stuff I do.  Crack open some oysters or muscles or sardines or cuttlefish and they maul me to get some (I can hardly get a bite in edgewise).

I prefer my bees fried, my ants dried and my grasshoppers covered in chocolate :)

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
Well I have been used for menial labor in the past. :ebon:
Ebonearth, your a woman after my own heart stomach.  Love so many of the things on your list.  Particularly the cephalopods, snail and sardines.
I really think it is a cultural thing, a lot of those 'eww gross' foods are part of my heritage. Couple that with my parentage and low income and well everything but insects we ate. still most entomophagy sticks in my throat. The idea of eating bees bothers me, not because they are icky but because that's a waste of a perfectly fine pollinator. ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:13:37 PM by ebonearth »

Offline CyborgX

• Survivor
  • Maps don't need batteries
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2010, 07:20:46 AM »
I'd eat any of these things before I'd eat at McDonalds:

- an egg that wasn't scrambled
- organ meat (liver, heart, gizzard, brains, chitterlings, kidney, lung), sweetbreads or odd animal parts (chicken feet, chicken combs, egg sacs)
- scrapple, headcheese... any jellied-meat
- raw fat (blubber)
- some types of fish (sardines, anchovies, herring, eel, lutefisk, etc)
- rat, mouse, dog, cat, horse meat
- worms, grubs and various other insects

At least they're natural..
Of that list, I have eaten grubs and insects, minnows, frogs, snake meat (cooked), and a whole bunch of other things. If it's food, ain't poisonous, and isn't full of synthetic junk, I'll probably eat it. Not on a regular basis, but I'll eat anything at least once.

Offline Kagetsu

• Prepper
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
 :P There are things I don't like,,,, liver, sardines, but can stomach sometimes. I try most any raw seafood and mollusks when I can. If I could gut it without being sick, I'd eat it if I was really hungry.

My limit comes with fertilized birds eggs. When the veins are formed inside, I'm done. Anything Bear Grills describes as "an explosion of puss in your mouth"... No, I'm not even trying to keep that down till way after I'm too weak to move. Most likely that includes anything found under logs. And there's a point when gathering protein is far harder than it's worth to digest.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2019, 12:08:43 PM »
wow - this is an OLD thread.  Thanks Mr. Bill for reviving it :)

Offline scoop

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2019, 03:41:05 PM »
I'd have to be pretty doggone near starvation before I'd eat"

- an egg that wasn't scrambled  -  I eat them over easy or even soft boiled. I used to have them raw in orange juice.

- organ meat (liver, heart, gizzard, brains, chitterlings, kidney, lung), sweetbreads or odd animal parts (chicken feet, chicken combs, egg sacs) - PRETTY DARN HUNGRY

- scrapple, headcheese... any jellied-meat - Scrapple - no problem - headcheese - hungry

- raw fat (blubber) - I had some once - Starving

- some types of fish (sardines, anchovies, herring, eel, lutefisk, etc) - Any Day of the Week

- rat, mouse, dog, cat, horse meat - NOPE

- worms, grubs and various other insects - Probably

I gotta stop - I'm grossing myself out...

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2019, 03:48:42 PM »
Yeah... fun thread, Mr. Bill.

I think maybe Ebonearth did win the prize for most adventurous eating... way back when.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
ugh.. so much for having lunch today..

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2019, 03:04:07 PM »
Didn't see anybody mention beef tongue. Makes the best sandwich meat. Always had trouble getting the grass stains out though. Worms are off limits and bugs the same. Love smoked smelt, guts feathers and all. ;)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2019, 05:11:57 PM »
OH yeah.  My dad used to bring a cow tongue home every couple of months.  Slice it thin and make sandwiches with it.  Really good.