Author Topic: Deer and fire  (Read 4383 times)

Possenti2264

Deer and fire
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »
We Southerners rarely see cold weather during deer season, much less snow.  So when it comes, it's a bit hard for use Johnny Rebs to get a handle on while enjoying our usual outdoor activities.

What to do? 

A buddy suggested a coffee can, a roll of TP, and rubbing alcohol to keep a contained and smoldering fire while sitting in the woods/blind.  My concern is that maybe deer smell smoke and don't really appreciate it in their stomping grounds. 

Any ideas?

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
Re: Deer and fire
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 10:27:17 AM »
Up here in MN I've had multiple recreational fires in the backyard and have had deer less than 10yards away at the feeder.Granted, they are used to the feeder and us being around, but they really didn't seem bothered by it.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »
I know guys who run those small Coleman propane heaters in their blinds with no ill effects.  Not too sure about the TP & alcohol method though.

When I had a regular deer camp I would frequently let my hunting clothes get saturated with the smell of wood smoke as a cover scent & the deer never seemed to shy away from it.  Only one way to know for sure...give it a try & let us know. ;) 

Possenti2264

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:47:08 PM »
Saw two does 300yds upwind.  It was awful cold (19 degrees).  Coldest it's been all year.  Those TP heaters were worth every penny.  I though I'd freeze to death until I lit that sucker.  Eventually we moved out of the blind and started stalking.  That's when we saw the does, too far to shoot.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »
I use one of the Coleman SportCat catalytic heaters. It uses a small propane bottle, has no flame or odor, and works pretty good to heat up a small space. Quiet too.
I have heard that deer dont care about smoke, as it is a natural smell, but I dont know how true that is.
RipT

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:23:14 PM »
I never thought I would give a blind the time of day, but after 9 degree temps this morning???  I might just do me some building this summer.  As far as the heater, the alcohol should burn pretty odorless (I would think)??  The other one I have heard about is a small element that goes on top of the small coleman propane tanks (standing upright).  I will try and find a link to post.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 08:29:04 PM »

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 02:48:11 AM »
I think alcohol burns clean. The only scent should be the un burn alcohol. Also, a wood burning hobo stove shouldn't scare game. They'll come in to check out a fire at night.

Pat

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 10:17:06 AM »
You mean like these?

http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=42

Yeah, the small one should work fine.  I would think you may have to turn it on for awhile, then off for awhile to avoid overheating your blind, depending on size and drafts.

Joel

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 11:10:24 AM »
Yeah, the small one should work fine.  I would think you may have to turn it on for awhile, then off for awhile to avoid overheating your blind, depending on size and drafts.
I've got one of those and it's kinda loud.  Seems like deer would notice, but I don't really know.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
At the bottom of the drive leading up to camp is a field that the farmer has built what we refer to as the "condo".  It's about 8"x8" with an asphalt roof, a stairway and a regular door.  Inside is carpeted and insulated with sliding plexi-glass windows looking over the field.

He uses one or those Mr. Heat propane heaters and plays a tape player.  You can hear Hank Williams Sr. when you go by.  He shoots some nice deer from it so I guess they either like Hank or just get used to the sound.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 12:33:45 PM »
As far as regular wood fire...every camp and house in the area we hunt at used wood fires for heat.  I'm sure the deer smeel wood smoke all winter and it doesnt faze them.  At least up north.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 02:42:37 PM »
We used to use wood smoke to cover up scent when I was a kid. The theory was that animals smell smoke regularly, so it doesn't alert them like human scent. And like I said, they sometimes investigate a fire at night. They probably want to see who forgot to turn off the lights.

Pat

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »
The little Coleman Sport Cat is very small, and will fit in your pack. It also does not get hot enough to glow, like the Mr. Heater, and is silent.
RipT