Author Topic: Introduction and Welcome  (Read 4227 times)

Offline forestgarden

• Prepper
Introduction and Welcome
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Marjory and I am the main character and voice in the food production video.  We had bought our farm in response to a dream I had that we would buy some land and live out in the country (I am an intuitive and often work with my dreams at a deep level).  We thought it would be a great weekend place to have fun and relax from the stresses of our business and busy life in Austin.  It seemed almost all at once we started to become aware of peak oil, the Federal Reserve, the massive corruption of the US Gov't, climate change, possible pandemic, and the host of other apocolyptic themes which are out there.  We were heavily invested in real estate and it was just dawning on us that the market was in for a very bad turn and when it went down, it would take the worlds economy with it.  We sold the business in Austin, divested all our real estate investments, and moved out to the farm full time.  We were early in our predictions, but more glad than ever to be out of that game.

Panic will get you to do a lot more in a very short time than you can ever imagine.  We focused on water first, then food.  Rochards, livestock, gardens, it all went in as fast as we could do it.  And having little background in agriculture, we made many miserable mistakes.  Many failures that I've since seen repeated in various ways by others on a homesteading / self-reliance journey.  Our skills and knowledge in modern life just aren't that useful in the real world. 

Right from the very beginning we realized that community is vital for many reasons, and we started hosting all sorts of events - to learn ourselves, and to meet like minded others.  Gardening workshops, tree pruning, wildfire preparedness, permaculture, composting and soil building, wild plant walks, herbology, altenravitve currencies, alternative energy....   I found that sponsoring a gardening class at my home was one of the best ways to get my own garden going.  Sponsoring more than a dozen classes and I was becoming the teacher. 

I wholeheartedly agree with Jack in that that food will be the most critical issue going forward.  And it is my firm belief that everyone needs to be involved in their own food production. 

As the journey has evolved, I have come to enjoy my time in the garden, he orchard, or with the animals more and more.  Reconnecting into the cycle of life has been as deeply meaningful and rewarding as it has been difficult. 

I'll be available online here 3 to 5 times per week to answer questions and to post updates.  Let me know how you are doing, and enjoy the DVD.

Cheers,
Marjory

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Introduction and Welcome
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »
Thanks very much for the wonderful DVD, Marjory. You guys certainly are way ahead of many of us. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline Todd R

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »
I just got the dvd in the mail a couple days ago and have only had time to watch it once so far but havent found any time yet to dig into the documents on the second disc. I'm really looking forward to gaining all the knowledge you are sharing! Thanks for a great video and thanks for making yourself available here to answer questions.

Offline Steaker

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »
After we get all the silver and survival tools stored up, it will always come back to gardening.  Like the man says, you have to eat 3 times a day.