Author Topic: Failed attempt #1: credit card cancellation  (Read 15609 times)

Offline Whatatata

• Prepper
Failed attempt #1: credit card cancellation
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:41:24 AM »
So in an attempt to streamline my financial situation, with 4600$ in credit card debt, I tried to cancel my discover card on my lunch break.  Basically I found that these credit card companies have a whole division of people who's sole job is to argue with you and to make you keep your credit card.  I spent 15 minutes (15!!!) arguing with this damn service rep about how I don't want credit cards in my life.  They would cancel it, and just kept argueing with me, trying to convince me about all kinds of bullshit.  Finally, I had to go back to work, so before I left, at least I got my interest rate down from 19.5% (19.5%!!!!!) to 3.9 %.  Better than nothing, but I still got this damn credit card.  How do I fight back against these assholes when on the phone?  It was draining, and I think that is what they strive to do, drain you down and make you give in so that you walk away with your head down, unable to finish the job. 

Offline longrifle

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Failed attempt #1: credit card cancellation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 12:01:57 PM »
First I have to say I've never had a credit card, never will. However, if it's such a fight to get it cancelled and you really want to cancel it, then prepare yourself before the phone call. Pysch yourself up for the impending battle. Make sure you have no time restraints when you call, because they don't and can talk all day to keep your business. Drink a Red Bull, Monster, or a pot of coffee to build up your energy level to match theirs. Slap yourself in the face, hit your  head against the wall, or whatever you do to get your fighting spirit up and go into it with a no quit attitude, and don't take anything but "It's Cancelled!" for an answer. My .02.

longrifle

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:33:26 PM »
Send a certified letter, return receipt, demanding they cancel the card and telling them their agents are rude.  Be sure to include your name, address and account # (perhaps even a copy of your bill).    Copy the State licensing / regulating bureau.  That should do the trick - with a smile on your face!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »
Yes, they will talk at you.  they will use all sorts of "facts" to keep your business.  "it will ruin your credit" "you will loose your rewards" "you cannot live without a credit card" etc etc etc ad nausium.

be firm.
"I want to close my account."
blahblahblah
"I want you to close my account."
blahblahblah
blahblahblah
blahblahblah

rinse and repeat.  problem is that they get penalized if they close accounts.  well, I do not know that for sure with the CCs, but my sister who worked at comcast got penalized if she could not talk someone into keeping their accounts open.  They sure ACT like they are going to get penalized for it.  Like you are hurting them personally.

anyway, I have heard a good way to do it is to say "I started listening to Dave Ramsey, and he has convinced me that I do not need a credit card."  My understanding is that the name of Dave Ramsey can start a swearing streak from the CC rep, but they will close your account.  :D
also, if you can get the word in edgewise, request that it be closed "at the cardholder's request."  so that shows up on your credit report.  sometimes they will be snarky and close it with a footnote that they closed it for being a bad customer, which can effect your report negatively.

We closed ours about a year ago, and it was a struggle!!!

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
Take the 3.9, pay it off then shred, put it in with a letter with the last payment demand the account be closed or you will pursue it legally

MightyRunt

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »
be firm.
blahblahblah
blahblahblah
blahblahblah
blahblahblah
Worked for me. Might have gone quicker if I spoke Hindi.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »
Is the cc debt you have on this card, or on some other card(s)?  If it's on this one, take the lower rate and then pay it off.  If it isn't, send a letter as recommended above.

twodogs257

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:25:03 AM »
Losing a customer WILL hurt them credit card companies.  Your credit limit is a line item in their ASSET column.

I am down to one credit card.  I recently closed an account with BarClay that had iTunes rewards but they screwed me while I was on a family vacation in Disney.  I did not want to carry alot of cash while in the park so I brought a card (with a small limit).  They would not give me a temporary $200 credit line increase because of the economy.  And here I thought Obama was supposed to unfreeze credit :)  Anyhoo, the day I got back from vacation is the day I paid off the card and closed the account.  Rep wanted me NOT to cancel and asked what they could do.  I said it was too late, that I did not need the credit now nor their services anymore.  He was not a happy rep. 

grizz013

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 05:20:27 PM »

Discover, in my experience is the most aggressive credit card out there. Also the highest interest if you don't play their game right. Stick to your guns!  Get as aggressive as them, and don't accept anything until the account is closed.  For anyone else out there reading these posts,(especially young couples just getting started) learn from them.  Credit Cards are nothing but trouble.  Pay them off, cancel them, get rid of your debt.  Better yet never open a new credit card account! Live within your means!  Having and buying "Stuff" does not equal happiness.  Good Luck!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 05:53:36 PM »
I just canceled an AMEX card.  Went really easily.  But I was ready for a fight.

I have run into this type of response from other companies.  What I do is hang up from that call and immediately call back and ask to speak with the supervisor.  Don't tell them why, just ask for the supervisor.  When the supervisor gets on just state it matter of fact.  Cancel my card!  Don't take no for an answer.

I have one other card that I need to cancel some time in the near future.  It's paid off, but we don't have our reserve supply of money saved up yet, so I want to keep it for emergencies.

Offline beagle76

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:26:39 PM »
I paid my card off and on the last payment, I wrote for them to terminate my account, right on the payment slip.

I was getting a lot of credit card offers and when I decided I didn't want them any more, I decided to return the offers to the sender. I opened the envelope and took the application form that had my name on it, drew an X in red pen through the signature line and wrote on the form in clear text, "Take me off your mailing list". I then put it into the prepaid, return envelope and dropped it into the mail. It got to be a game where I looked forward to getting them and returning them this way. My plan was that if I received an offer after a return, I would shred all but the application and return it the same way. If I received a third solicitation, I would do the same except this time, tape the prepaid mailing envelope to a brick and drop it into a mail box. I figured that the brick and postage would get someones attention.

Well, I never had to go to step two. I often got a letter from a credit card company in response telling me that their offers were legal, but they would abide by my wishes and not send me any more offers. Within a few months I the offers turned into a trickle and now I get one or two offers a year and no repeats. Now I do the same with offers that come for my college age children. It is a rarity for us to get any credit card offers any more.

You have to keep yourself entertained!

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 08:06:43 AM »
Whatever you do, DO NOT cancel that card until you pay it off. Why? Because they will charge you 'closed account fees', 'inactivity fees', and almost certainly jack your interest rate up to 29% or more. I'm not kidding. Read the terms of your credit card -the interest rate for closed accounts is usually right there in the fine print. You've got them down to 3.9% -that's almost unheard of these days. I would double up on the payments, pay it off as fast as you can, and then stick it to them.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 08:10:54 AM »
Credit-card-free for, lets see...five years? I think?

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 08:06:04 PM »
When I get offers for cards, or much of anthing else, I like to send them back an offer from another friendly credit card company in their nice little PREPAID mailing envelope.  Discover to Capitol-1, MBNA to AMEX, you get it!  I do not give them the paper with my name on it, just the shiny BS sheet that comes with it.  Sometimes, I will even send them an advertisement for gutters or something else that some fly-by-night company has sent me.  I figure it helps keep the post office employees busy and gives the hard working folks at the credit card company something to chuckle about when they open an offer for replacement windows (or whatever!).   Best of all, its costs them money!!   Even when I get soliciting phone calls, its fun to egg them on for a while and then just drop the bomb on them.  Like, I discussed all the features of an extended warranty with some kid for like 5 minutes, then when he asked me what my car was to get a price, I told him.  A 1967 Ford Falcon.  He then hung up!   ;D

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 11:23:37 PM »
Don't forget that those prepaid envelopes are weight sensitive...so the more they weigh the more they pay.   :D  I'm just sayin.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 11:58:33 PM »
When my Grandpa passed away years ago, we had one card company that couldn't quite figure out he was dead and didn't need the card anymore. Kept telling them to close the account with no luck.Finally sent them a change of address form that just said "Heaven" and that was the last we heard from them.

Offline beagle76

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 04:13:23 PM »
Nicely done Bartsdad!

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 05:16:24 PM »
Sometimes the thickheadedness of some businesses try's my ability's to remain calm.  When I move to this town I closed my account at the bank I have my checking account at.  I started getting monthly statements telling me I had a zero balance.  I called them several times and told them they were wasting money sending me these as I already knew I had a zero balance.  Kind of goes with the territory when you close the account.

Well they kept sending the letters and I just tossed them in the trash...until I started getting mail from a collection agency.  Seems my old bank had stared charging me "inactive account fees" and was miffed that I had a negative account balance of 40 bucks.  Even that wasn't so bad until I got the first phone call threatening legal action.  This was five years after I had closed the account.

That was the day I got on the phone with the main office of the bank and tried to tell them that it was a mistake and the account was closed and evidenced by the letter they had required five years before.  After several sessions with higher and higher managers with longer and longer sessions on hold, Followed by me finally loosing it and screaming various obsenitys at the last one...well i haven't heard from them again.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
Bartsdad, You could have given them the address to the cemetery. I hear that works out too.

I used to rip my credit card offers to bits, and stuff the whole thing, envelope and all, into the prepaid return envilope.
Just for S%#ts and giggles.

Morning Sunshine had the best advice

blahblahblah
blahblahblah
blahblahblah
blahblahblah

After about five minutes of that I'd probably switch to "shut up and cancel my account"

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 06:11:03 PM »
That was the day I got on the phone with the main office of the bank and tried to tell them that it was a mistake and the account was closed and evidenced by the letter they had required five years before.  After several sessions with higher and higher managers with longer and longer sessions on hold, Followed by me finally loosing it and screaming various obsenitys at the last one...well i haven't heard from them again.

Along these lines, I noticed a while back that using obscenities is the fastest way to get through the automated voice recognition bots that originally answer the phone at Sprint. As soon as you start dropping a few obscenities, it says "Please hold while I find someone to help you." and then connects me to a customer service agent.

Now, whenever I get caught in an AVR and I want a human, I just toss out an F-bomb or two to see if their system is rigged similarly.

;D

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 11:06:40 PM »
Along these lines, I noticed a while back that using obscenities is the fastest way to get through the automated voice recognition bots that originally answer the phone at Sprint. As soon as you start dropping a few obscenities, it says "Please hold while I find someone to help you." and then connects me to a customer service agent.

Now, whenever I get caught in an AVR and I want a human, I just toss out an F-bomb or two to see if their system is rigged similarly.

;D

I find mumbling works too. ;)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 03:49:28 AM »
I find mumbling works too. ;)

Sure, but what's the fun in that?

:)

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »

;D

I hadn't thought of this before, and I like it! Half the time when I call an AVR, I am somewhere quiet like work or an office and I don't want to yell into the phone just to get the AVR to recognize my choice (or for other people to hear what options I am selecting), and the other half of the time I am somewhere noisy where even yelling wouldn't work.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »
I've closed two different accounts this past year and didn't have that much trouble... one thing that may have helped was that there was no way they were going to convince me to keep the accounts open from the outset. I refused to even engage on any of their questions... just said I didn't need the account any more and that my balance was zero...

Maybe it was because we are the type of account-holders they refer to as freeloaders... we don't carry a balance past the billing date, so they don't make any money on interest on us (so the interest rate is completely inconsequential to us and not a reason to remain on board).

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 10:01:47 PM »
I used to work with a guy that was a real animal on the phone. When ever he started a call with a Customer Service agent, he would say he wanted them to be aware that the conversation was being recorded. If they didn't do what he wanted after 3 requests, he insisted on speaking with a supervisor.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2009, 08:28:15 PM »
I have advised people the call was being recorded (as required by law) and had customer service reps tell me to stop recording or they would have to hang up. They literally refused to proceed with the call and, when asked why, advised it was their protocol.

On that note, you should know that if THEY or THEIR SYSTEM advises you the call may be recorded, then their is no further legal obligation for you to indicate to anyone that you may be recording the call as well. I wouldn't raise the issue with a live person as it would just cause more hassle, provided you already heard their IVR say it.

Requesting or demanding a supervisor doesn't seem to make it through some of their thick skulls, either. I have had morons tell me "I AM the supervisor of your account, so you don't need to speak to anyone else" and lines like "I can get a supervisor if you want but it may be a while and they are just going to tell you the same thing I told you". At that point, you have a 50% chance of being disconnected while they pretend to put you on hold. Most of these responses are expressed in ignorant smugness as they are confident you will never show up in person to register a complaint.

Of course, all of this is recorded.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 06:07:31 AM »
I have advised people the call was being recorded (as required by law)

That depends on state law.  In Virginia, only one party of the call needs to know that it is being recorded.  If you're recording, and you are on the call, no further notificaiton is neccessary.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »
That depends on state law.  In Virginia, only one party of the call needs to know that it is being recorded.  If you're recording, and you are on the call, no further notificaiton is neccessary.

So it is. I didn't realize that. Thanks for the correction.

I found this, too: http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html

Hopefully it will help.

I was under the impression what I had learned originally was a federal law and that it was the same around the country. That's what happens when I assume. Sorry about that!

Offline Capt Cook

• Survivor
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 10:35:10 AM »
When I got my first CC back in the 80's from Sears, it had a limit of $500.00.
This was fine with me since I was in construction & bought my tools at Sears & I may not have the cash when I needed the tools.
The thing is that even at a young age, I understood how CC's worked thanks to my Dad teaching me about credit.
My balance always got paid off since I only bought what I "needed" & kept track of how much the bill would be at the end of the month.
Well one day I open my statement to read it(yes I ALWAYS check my statement) & noticed that my credit limit had been raised to $2500.00 :o
This had not been authorized by me so I called Sears & asked them what was going on. Their response was that since I was "such a good customer" they had raised my limit for me. My response to this was "please lower my limit back down to $500 & never raise it up again without my authorization"!
When the lady asked why I told her that $500 was enough & that if I needed more I would tell them to raise it.
She said "but Sir, you can have $2500 right now". To which I responded "I can't pay $2500 in one payment so I don't need that much".
Silence...
Silence...
I said Mam, are you there?
Her response was a puzzled "no one has ever said that to me before". So she froze my account at $500 & put a not in to only raise it on my authorization.
My Sears card stayed that way for years till I finally canceled it.

Credit Cards are a fine thing if you use them properly & read & understand the terms & conditions.
I used them as portable cash. Didn't want to carry $400 in cash to get that VCR way back when so I used my card to buy it(it was $405.00 so I'd have been short anyway). Then paid it off with the money I already had allotted for it in advance.
Need some new tires? Use the CC to purchase the tires you put money aside for & pay it off when the bill comes.
Get an unexpected expense? Even one you can't pay all in one bill should be planned for & paid off in 2 or 3 payments maximum. Such as car repairs or whatever. You just have to have the "discipline" to not spend your money & put it away for that bill when it comes in.

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 10:45:04 AM »
Calling the credit card company to tell them your going to close your account, especially if your planning to pay it off with another card that has a lower interest rate, always seemed to result in obtaining a lower interest rate with that card. Occasionally it would end up being a better rate than the card I was planning to use to pay it off with.