Author Topic: Leatherman  (Read 17599 times)

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Nate's Photo & Video Portfolio
Leatherman
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »
Their tools are great and the customer service is amazing.

Today the jewlery-size bit for my Wave broke, so I called Leatherman up and in less than 5 minutes they sent out a replacement, free of charge.

I love companies that provide quick, no-bs support and stand behind their products! No automated machines, no hold time - awesome.

Offline BrianSTL

• Prepper
  • ACTUAL poster of 'Change' posted in Chinatown, SF
Re: Leatherman
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
When I first started listening to Jack about a year ago, my first purchase was a leatherman Wave. It's been on my belt ever since. It's an amazing tool and crafted with quality. In America.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 03:04:30 AM »
I agree, I broke my Wave twice in the last six years.  Each time they shipped a new one, no questions or hassles!

Kershaw knives is another great manufacturer.  Sent a knife back to them once for repair and they did a great job repairing it.  Fast service too!

You get what you pay for with these two manufacturers!

Offline chad234

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
I have had good service from Leatherman as well!

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:51:52 AM »
I have a Leatherman Charge ALX and its been an amazing tool.   I finaly managed to break the micro screwdriver bit on it.  I called the number and told the lady what it was and she said, "No Problem, whats your address".  And that was the extent of it.  Should arrive in the next couple of days.

You most definitely get what you pay for with the Leatherman tools,  I've abused my Charge a couple of times and its come out on the winning side every time.

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »
I utilized customer service once, and was very impressed with the fast turn around and the ease of working with them.  Buying a Leatherman is a hedge against inflation- the tools never go down in value, and you'll never regret the money you spent.   

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Nate's Photo & Video Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 02:53:59 PM »
I utilized customer service once, and was very impressed with the fast turn around and the ease of working with them.  Buying a Leatherman is a hedge against inflation- the tools never go down in value, and you'll never regret the money you spent.   

That would make a great Leatherman ad, "Why invest in gold when you can buy pallets of our tools?"

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »
I could picture the add now.  Guy sitting on a pallet of gold hungrily watching another guy sitting on a pallet of canned goods with a Leatherman in his hands. With the tag line.  "When the SHTF, which would you rather have". :)

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »
My replacement bit arrived today, 2 days after I called it in.  And when I opened the package, there was not 1 replacement bit, but 2 so I have a spare.  Those guys are spot-on. 

Offline giAnt

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »
I have a leatherman that I am very happy with. I use it daily.
It has not broken yet but if it does, do I have to have it registered or something to get replacements?

I don't think I ever filled out a warranty. hopefully thats not a big mistake!

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
Mine was registered but I was never asked about it.  They just took my word for it.  Amazing company.

I think the registration would be useful if you have to send the whole unit in.  They don't ask for a serial number or anything.  I would have to check and see if there is even one on the tool.  Now i'm curious.  Off to go look LOL

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 02:10:29 PM »
Broke the pliers on my skeletool CX and it was replaced no questions asked.
Great company, awesome tool. I use it all the time and it is so light compared to other models!  +1 to the skeletool!

Offline hal

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 05:25:16 AM »
I also broke the piers on my Skeletool CX and Leatherman quickly replaced it.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »
Had no idea they would replace the driver bits on the wave. Mine has been broken for months. ThAnks for the info.

Offline tmbrwolf

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 06:49:28 AM »
Infidel,
 I like your sign off “Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked thru jet engines!” but not sure it is true.. If you watch Firefly the “Train Job” episode you can watch a weasel get sucked into a Jet engine.

But on the Leatherman, first I do not own one; but it sounds like they seem to break a lot. The company standing behind what they sell and having great service will not help when the SHTF. I have tools that are 30/40 years old and have been abused, but not broken. We need tools that will hold up to anything, not to say the Leatherman is not a good tool, but you need to be able to depend on any tool that you have, and Iam sure the Leatherman is better that most.

I t dose sound like it is just a small piece that is failing, so in a SHTF scenario it may not matter.

Just my $.02 

Fred_47460

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 07:01:21 AM »
Way off topic....but short.

I work at a jet engine manufacturer. We use a air cannon to fire dead chickens into our engines to simulate what would happen when hitting a bird at speed under flight situations. There are actual specs which state how long a engine must be able to run after all kinds of catastrophic failure scenarios. They used to use whole dead chickens before the world became so....sensitive....but they now use thawed out supermarket birds. I've been told the air cannons would be capable of shooting a chicken over a mile if they didn't hit the engine first ;D  ;D

By the way....if you are all worked up over this use of chickens....would you rather the first test of how an engine does after ingesting a bird is on the flight you are on?

Offline spisblog

• Prepper
    • Spisblog's Journal
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 07:06:10 AM »
For those of us that may not be familiar with the Leatherman Wave, I posted a video review on YouTube back in Novenber.

Product Review- Leatherman Wave Multi-tool

Here's a link to my blog post about it (in case the above embedded player doesn't work)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:12:43 AM by spisblog »

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 12:39:12 PM »
It's not that the wave is breaking, it's that little eyeglass screwdriver bit that everyone (myself included) is using for everything BUT eyeglasses.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
LOL Infidel.  I actually used it on eyeglasses for the first time last week after I got it back.  I've used it for unconscionable things that no tiny tool like that should ever be subjected too. LOL

Offline mfassel

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
I have a couple Waves and love them. But needed something bigger and beefier out at the barn. So I got the Surge, like a Wave on steroids. I think it's about as perfect as I'm gonna get.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:57:30 AM »
Just called leatherman myself after finding out they would replace the eyeglass bit for free, best she could do was to send two of each driver bit for5$. Still not to bad.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 08:18:36 AM »
Strange.  I must have got the "Nice Lady" the day I called in :)

I did send an email (Which I was too impatient to wait for a response and called in instead ;D ).  When I got the email back, I got the same response that the "Bits" were considered consumables and the $5 kit could be ordered.  But the lady on the phone had already sent them so I ignored the email.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »
Great tools, I have many of them. Buy them at pawnshops at greatly reduced prices. Would never give Mr. Leatherman my money directly as he is an Obama loving tool. Fact, look it up.

Offline stillastudent

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »
Have had the wave for at least 3-4 years now, it is an amazing tool.  the two problems I have had with it are lost bits, and having it returned to me with a broken pliers jaw.  (I should have known better the guy I loaned it to should be hired by a tool company as a tester, he can break anything.)  The service and turnaround was amazing.  At the time I was working in  the maintenance dept of a first tier auto supplier, and we all had leatherman tools mostly waves, with a few others thrown in.  All I can say is ," We'll try to repair it in place, (with our Leatherman) but if that doesn't work we WILL need to take it back to the crib". Was practically the department motto.  These tools would do things that i thought were impossible on a regular basis.
  As an aside if you can find one of the older WAVE's without the interchangeable bits they warranty the whole tool.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 10:06:58 AM »
I love my leatherman wave, but the sheaths that come with the new ones are junk compared to the old models. 

Offline Ripperjack

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 01:23:11 AM »
I just bought a new model, Surge or Burst I think it was - wow what a change from my old 'Leatherman Tool'. Nicer metal, higher quality all around it seems...except it doesnt fit into its sheath easily, have to jostle it around to bypass its ends and the sheaths rivets.

Had a Gander Mtn gift cert so I upgraded - cant really complain thus far. Beats the crap out of my old Leatherman (which Ive had for over ten years).

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »
I agree that Leatherman's customer service is excellent. I broke the large screwdriver bit on mine (the fixed one, not the interchangeable bits). I broke it trying to pry apart some boards on a pallet - definitely not something it was designed for. I sent it in for repairs, and they fixed it no questions asked.

Offline SaltyHobbit

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
My Leatherman finally croaked on me about a month or a little more ago. Sent it into them after about owning it for almost 7 years. Well I sent it in to them and they replaced it with a new super tool in about 2 weeks. Great item great company great service will always purchase from them

Offline Tiretool

• Prepper
  • Airsoft Maniac
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 04:37:00 AM »
It's been awhile since anyone posted here but I gotta sing Leatherman some praises too! I've recieved as a "free gift" all sorts of multi-tools and broke or wore them out quick cause they weren't worth spit. But then I purchased an original Leatherman and it has served me for years! And I also added a Leatherman squirt to my EDC utility keychain and it is in near constant service! My co-workers in the hospital where I work are always coming to me because I'm one of the "go to" guys there.
See what a little preparedness and creativity can do!  ;D
Great Job Leatherman