Author Topic: Leatherman  (Read 17608 times)

Offline ore2u

• Prepper
Re: Leatherman
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 11:08:15 PM »
I feel very lucky to live in oregon. I am within an hour of Kershaw, Gerber, CRKT, Leatherman and not very far from SOG.

I will let every one know I am VERY hard on multi-tools and knifes alike. I have broke Gerber and leatherman tools time and time again. For the normal person I think they are OK. I bought a SOG back in 1996. At the time no one around here sold them. I had to order it through the fire department. I have beat the heck out my paratool and it still preforms as it did when it was new. I have removed all the small bolts and put lock tight in them. With the use I have gotten out of this thing I would be hard pressed to recommend any other.

As for knifes, this is the area that I disagree with Jack. Time and time again I hear the brand name "Cold Steel" in my opinion the best knife that they make is just slightly better than a 9.99 cheap crap survival knife. I do believe that all of there knifes are imported from China. I might be wrong there, but all of them that I have are. Kershaw has a high end tactical line called Zero Tolerance. They are spendy, but you will never have to buy another. What sold me on them was a rep taking the z0100 and chopping a piece of rebar without hurting it. He also explained part of the testing was driving it into a concrete wall and using it as a step. Sold me!!! I know own a Z0100 and 2 ZT0500's (one in each BOB)

Offline fuzzy

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 08:27:21 PM »
I have had a Leatherman Super Tool for years.  One of the few things that I've bought in my life that lived up to it's hype.  I'm on my 2nd belt holster.  When the lst fell apart after many years, I felt naked until I got a replacement from Leatherman.  Cost me $5, but no complaints. Price was reasonable, and it was shipped promptly.

Offline jasonthomas

• Prepper
  • Army veteran
    • The Catholic Man
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »
I have been a leatherman owner for about 18 years. Started with the original tool. I love them and if I break one, quick trip to the factory here in Portland, and I walk out with a brand-new, current model replacement. P.S. if you go to the Leatherman factory, they often have discounted factory seconds. Same with Nosler bullets in Bend.

Offline Braden

• Prepper
  • Moved out to the country for the lifestyle we want
    • CopperSkink - Your Personalized Preparedness Manual
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 02:01:21 AM »
I've had my Leatherman Wave for years now - love it, comes in handy when you least expect it - Not sure how the replacement thing would work being from NZ - but it's still in perfect working order - doesn't really get a major workout though.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »
I use my Leatherman WAVE nearly every day,.. It doesn't feel right to not have it on my belt.

My brother has a WAVE also.  He managed to break his once,.. Leatherman shipped him a new one, no cost.

Mine started to rattle, they said ship it to them, and then adjusted it and shipped it back.. no cost.  Also sharpened the blames.

Any blade can be broken if you use it wrong..  I carry a cheap locking blade to do some things,.. but the WAVE is more useful..

Offline Patriot_RAM

• Prepper
    • FrugalHomesteaders.net
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »
My father had a Leatherman probably close to 10 years ago.  It was either a wave, or similar model if that was before the wave.  He's a fishing guide and used it all day, every day.  His arthritis caused him to drop it in the river.  I bought him a new one a few years ago and he wears it every day.  I don't think he's ever had an issue with it.

I was given a Wave as a groomsman's gift at a buddy's wedding a few years ago.  I don't wear it every day, but the thing sure is useful!  I had to remove some stitches a week ago from an incision from carpal tunnel release surgery.  The only thing I had in our home and all of our preps that would safely remove the recessed stitches was the tiny pair of awesome quality scissors on the Wave.

Thumbs up all the way!!  :-*

Offline Cianaodh

• Survivor
  • Dehydrated Water?
    • Temple Of the Standing Stones
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
I might as well chime in here too. I'm on my third Leatherman, the previous two I lost or had stolen in the 90s. But this current one, a Wave, I have carried nearly every day for over 10 years. I use it frequently at work, on camping trips and on projects around the house. Other than occasional cleaning, oiling and sharpening I have never had to have any repairs done too it at all. I would definitely buy another one today if anything ever happened to this one.

It's been awhile since anyone posted here but I gotta sing Leatherman some praises too!