Author Topic: Cold season tatics  (Read 2657 times)

Offline redneck

• Prepper
Cold season tatics
« on: January 03, 2010, 06:24:21 PM »
I am working on a late season bow hunt for deer and hope to fill the last couple of tags.  Does anyone have any advice on tatics?  Since I am in OH baiting is OK so I have tried that in the past with some luck.  I kinda hate using bait so I am looking for something better.

Offline IowaFreak

• Prepper
    • Iowa Gun Trader
Re: Cold season tatics
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
Hunt the food sources... and watch the weather.

As a long time stand hunter I carry a notebook with me. I write down the time, date, set-up and weather conditions for every deer I see when I'm on stand. The following year when conditions match a similar hunt I try to find a similar set-up. This proves very useful during late season, as the deer have had plenty of pressure. It wont do you much good this year but maybe something you can get started on.

During the late season I'm glued to the weather channel. If I see a large temperature swing (10-15 degrees) or a storm coming, I'm hunting before, after and sometimes during. I set up on draws heading to food sources or the edge of the food source. I've never had much luck in the mornings during late season, although I haven't given up on morning hunts, I try to hunt from noon to dark during late December and January.

Offline BrianSTL

• Prepper
  • ACTUAL poster of 'Change' posted in Chinatown, SF
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:44:30 AM »
I started using this product this year and I had a buck come to me as if the buck were on a string.

http://www.franksdeerurine.com/

A late season 8 pointer. I'm sure there are other products that work as well or better, but using some of this on the bottom of your boot is damn near an unfair advantage. Ummm, deer snausage!

Offline redneck

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:34:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
I also do a notebook of the time, moon, weather, and activity.
Just as an update did stalk a couple of doe in light snow.  I had them a 50yards.  A bit of a longer shot than I am happy with, but still gets the heart racing.  I still have a couple of weekends here in Ohio.

Soularcher

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »
Now they are seeking food sources only.  Find the food source they are hitting, and set up a good ambush site.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:54:37 PM »
Yep. Follow their bellies.

My favorite time tho, is when the wind is just howling, and the weather is crap. I can usually stalk within shooting range of their windy day bedding area, and get a chance at them. I have taken quite a few deer that way.
Of course, in NW Kansas, there is only rolling hills with grass, interspersed with creek bottoms and bluffs. That kind of makes it easy to figure out where they are going to be. If the wind is from the N, they will probably be in an E-W draw, etc.
RipT (who still hunts 95% of the time)