Author Topic: THE SURVIVAL AND SUCCESS MINDSET  (Read 5124 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
THE SURVIVAL AND SUCCESS MINDSET
« on: November 23, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »
THE SURVIVAL AND SUCCESS MINDSET

What separates those who survive from those who don’t?

Is it just butter, guns, and gear?

No, I think not.

I submit to you that the difference between those who thrive amidst a crises and/or the certain fallout of any “choose your own disaster” scenario is their primarily their mindset followed quickly by how they come to their own resourceful solutions through thoughtful training and expertise as well as prior preparations.

I propose that a survival mindset is born out of a certain type of awareness and being that is possessed by people that can screen out distractions and stress while being able to maintain their presence of mind and composure even when faced with physical danger.

Those that have a developed survival mindset can center their mental and physical energies into a focused package that can be applied to any problem faced.

Their mental approach and framework is simple. To succeed in any disaster or crisis, you must break everything down into it's most basic elements and fundamental components to examine and develop an intended course of action that is as free from anxiety and emotion as possible.

I think the following Paul Howe quote captures the heart of the survival mindset well –

<survival> “…is a thinking man’s game and you need to rely on skill versus luck to ensure your survival. No matter what your problem is, you have to first get your mind right to ensure your survival. If you find luck embrace it, but don’t rely on it.” – Paul Howe

Here’s the equation or “loop” I use when attempting to manage or solve issues that impact my survival or success…

When confronted with adversity or a problem that needs solving…

• See clearly, the task at hand
• Supply effort on demand
• Do what needs to be done
• Evaluate and prepare for the next encounter

I believe survival is often simple. What's not so simple is slowing things down long enough to be objective when caught in a crisis.

What do you think?

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Re: THE SURVIVAL AND SUCCESS MINDSET
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
Survival is by no means simple. It is simple in idea but not in scope. Even animals who live in nature have a difficult time surviving. We have a big impediment above just trying to survive. We have made an ecosystem for ourselves where we do not need to depend on our skills for survival. So many people do not know what to do. We are domesticated, and we domesticated ourselves. I am not saying that doing that does not have benefits, but it does have detriments when it comes to surviving without all our luxury items.

I agree that our mind is our greatest ally in survival. Some people do not know how to use one. Its on auto-pilot. They worry about things that are not ultimately important or altogether insignificant because there is nothing truly worrisome in their life or ecosystem. We do think ahead. We are the ones in our car looking half a mile down the road at the accident ahead instead of just a few cars in front of us. I think that the survival instinct has not been conditioned out of us fully yet. Some of us have connected with this feeling from early on, and some of us have been awakened to the ultimate reality of life.

What sets us apart from others is our will to survive. Preparedness is a mindset. Survival is a group of skills. Preparedness leads to confidence in survival. Proven use of survival skills promotes confidence which in turn achieves a mentality of 'I will survive'. That positive outlook in turn positively effects your response in stressful and unfamilliar situations. Its not that we do not panic because we have super powers or something. It is mental and physical preparedness. We have replaced fear and panic with knowledge and confidence.

We do not panic readily because we have prepared for that moment. We have thought about it, and we have even gone through it in our mind. We have even ran drills to see what we would do and learn from it. Or we have faced enough to know we can survive in a given situation. It came from the moment we realized how vulnerable we are, and the likelihood of our survival based on the current living situation.

I remember when I was 13. It seems silly now of what I thought prepared was. I saw a documentary on the probability of an meteor hitting the earth and causing a similar situation as the dinosaur's. I was not scared or afraid. I started gathering things in a backpack in my closet to prepare. Of course my plans were pretty skewed and were not realistic, but it was the heart of my intention. I chose to do something about it. I knew I could worry about it or I could take ahold of my situation and do something about it. I think that is a fundamental difference between us and other people. We believe we can do something to affect our situation. Other people think they can not change their situation or enviroment. They feel vulnerable and we do not.

So success in survival has to do with skills, mentality, mindset, and outlook.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »
Coldhaven,

+1, I digress.

I agree with your summation and input. Thanks for pushing this thought line further and expanding on this topic.

I do make an over-generalization in stating my case on simplicity and survival and stand corrected.

swanson

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »
Its not a matter of thinking I am right and you wrong.  8) That was not my point. Just adding my opinon about the subject. The intent of what we both mean relies heavily on our minds being our highest asset. Without it you could not gain skills, and you could not prepare. As far as survival success I was simply stating that there is an interlinking series of things that happen in the mind that cause us to be successful and survive. It heartens me to know that so many people are into sane survivalism. Even if I fail and do not survive whatever SHTF scenario I feel safe knowing that short of the world exploding because the Sun went Supernova that humans will continue to survive.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:36:52 AM »
Coldhaven,

Sorry I misinterpreted.

ur expansion on the topic is a great contribution to the subect.

Thanks!!

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:43:12 AM »
No problem. I like alot of the info you bring to the forum. Alot of it is very thought provoking. Many of the topics I have read by you have been informative, concise, and interesting. Keep up the good work!

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:53:36 PM »
Interesting article I found. Some psycologist writes about Jeff Cooper and one of his books pertaining to the "Combat Mindset". Thought it flowed with the thread.

Every once in a while I go down to my basement library and re-read a book by gun expert Jeff Cooper (now deceased) just to keep myself in a self-defense mindset. This week I pulled from the shelf one of Cooper's best works, To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth. My favorite chapter in the book is one entitled, "The Combat Mind-Set" in which Cooper discusses a person's mental reaction to aggression.

Cooper starts out the chapter stating:

Man fights with his mind. His hands and his weapons are simply extensions of his will, and one of the fallacies of our era is the notion that equipment is the equivalent of force.

Cooper notes that of all of the graduates of his training program who have found themselves in mortal confrontations, "not one has said that his life was saved by his dexterity nor by his marksmanship, but rather by his 'mind-set.'"

Some useful bits of information that Cooper provides is that one must train himself into a state of mind in which the sudden awareness of peril does not surprise him. "His response should be not "Oh my God, I'm in a fight!" but rather, "I thought this might happen and I know what to do about it."

I often think how few people in our society would really know what to do if they were confronted with a mortal confrontation. Sadly, our mindset is now more like The New Feminized Majority in which soft power and discussions are slowly taking the place of the Combat Mind-set. Is this a good thing?

I don't know, maybe yes, maybe no, depending on the circumstances. I can't help but feel that both are important; yet each year, it seems that the values that Jeff Cooper talked about in his work are less and less relevant in our culture--those values of honor, duty and bravery. Those traits, I hope, will never go out of style--for our very freedom and life may depend on them.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 11:02:31 PM »
Interesting article I found. Some psycologist writes about Jeff Cooper and one of his books pertaining to the "Combat Mindset". Thought it flowed with the thread.

Every once in a while I go down to my basement library and re-read a book by gun expert Jeff Cooper (now deceased) just to keep myself in a self-defense mindset. This week I pulled from the shelf one of Cooper's best works, To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth. My favorite chapter in the book is one entitled, "The Combat Mind-Set" in which Cooper discusses a person's mental reaction to aggression.

Cooper starts out the chapter stating:

Man fights with his mind. His hands and his weapons are simply extensions of his will, and one of the fallacies of our era is the notion that equipment is the equivalent of force.

Cooper notes that of all of the graduates of his training program who have found themselves in mortal confrontations, "not one has said that his life was saved by his dexterity nor by his marksmanship, but rather by his 'mind-set.'"

Some useful bits of information that Cooper provides is that one must train himself into a state of mind in which the sudden awareness of peril does not surprise him. "His response should be not "Oh my God, I'm in a fight!" but rather, "I thought this might happen and I know what to do about it."

I often think how few people in our society would really know what to do if they were confronted with a mortal confrontation. Sadly, our mindset is now more like The New Feminized Majority in which soft power and discussions are slowly taking the place of the Combat Mind-set. Is this a good thing?

I don't know, maybe yes, maybe no, depending on the circumstances. I can't help but feel that both are important; yet each year, it seems that the values that Jeff Cooper talked about in his work are less and less relevant in our culture--those values of honor, duty and bravery. Those traits, I hope, will never go out of style--for our very freedom and life may depend on them.

I used to love Cooper's corner Guns and Ammo is not the same...

Offline Lowdown3

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:53:51 AM »
Ascertain the realities of the situation in which you propose to take action.

Develop a plan.

Size and hold the initiative. Initiative is the freedom to ACT rather than being forced to REACT.

Be flexible.