Author Topic: Best off the shelf center fire rifle by design  (Read 4835 times)

Offline IDTstudent

• Fledgling Prepper
  • James 2:17 KJV
Best off the shelf center fire rifle by design
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:14:23 PM »
Hey there Everyone,
I have a strong interest in rifles and have researched them for a few years now and thought I'd share some of my experiance and thoughts on the best rifle available per design specs.
I'd suggest the SAKO or TIKKA rifles for one reason, CLAW EXTRACTOR!  These rifles are new manufacture in most popular calibers and have a claw extractor which the Remington 700 does not.  The Rem 700 has a small metal clip that over time wears down and pulls shavings off your shells and srops them into your action!!  This clip eventually will wear down and will not extract your shells and your rifle is unusable!!
The Ruger M77 I believe has a similar claw extractor, but hasn't got the reviews that the Rem 700 has.  The Sako/Tikka has is also priced near the Remington 700's price point. 
If you are looking for a CHEAP rifle for the price I'd recomend the MOSSBERG ATR 100.  This is made in various popular calibers and can be found for under $300 new!!!  For a new centerfire rifle with rave reviews this a the best I've found available.
Let me know what you think,

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
Re: Best off the shelf center fire rifle by design
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:53:38 PM »
If you can find a Marlin MR-7, get it. Its the best bolt gun I have ever used. Marlin basically took all the good design features from Winchester, Weatherby, Remington, and who knows who else, and combined them into 1 gun. This gun was made for only 2 or 3 years I think, back in the 90s. They released a new Marlin bolt gun last year or the year before, but its nothing like the old MR7. I think its the XR-7 or something like that. The only problem I have with it, is it is heavy, and I cant find a spare magazine for it for a decent price.

A Savage 110 is also an excellent rifle for cheap and good right off the shelf.
RipT

Offline IowaFreak

• Prepper
    • Iowa Gun Trader
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:57:16 PM »

A Savage 110 is also an excellent rifle for cheap and good right off the shelf.
RipT

I' am also a huge fan of the Savage rifle.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:36:29 PM »
I have experience with the M77 and Remington 700. Either will give a lifetime of service with only the most basic care. For the money, I do not think you can do better than these two proven rifles. Add in the aftermarket support and parts commonality of the 700 and I do not think you will come up with a better option.

Lot of 700 based customs and sniper rifles out there....

Offline YOOJ

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »
As far as best rifle design re: function, I would have to say the classic winchester model 70 action with the 3 position safety and full length claw extractor, and controlled round feeding.  Other rifles with claw extractors have been mentioned, but I really think the winchester was the one to hit the nail on the head and bring all of these elements together in one design.  For me the position and function of the safety is perfect and I actually trust it to stay in the safe position unlike the tang mounted safety on the savage. 

But for out of the box accuracy, the design of the Savage bolt that lends itself well to inexpensive manufacturing also leads to perfectly squared lugs inside the action and the barrel nut while some find it ugly, makes it easy to set the proper headspace.