Author Topic: Survival Summary  (Read 151098 times)

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
Re: Survival Summary
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2010, 09:39:03 AM »
Question on the 511's -

Would you consider them business casual? 

I wear the tan pant color mostly at work and I pair it with a nice shirt. No one has ever said anything to me but I am director level at my company. The only one that would say anything is the CEO. Somehow we had a discussion on it once and he said he never noticed that they weren't slacks.

There are a couple of employees that wear other types of a cargo pant. So at least at our office it would be considered business casual.

gigaJack

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »
I have create a blog post detailing my food storage inventory spreadsheet.

http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/food-storage-inventory-spreadsheet/

I have only linked to my food storage spreadsheet before but now I have made an in dept blog post at "The Survival Summary" with pretty pictures for all to see.

gigaJack

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
Re: Survival Summary New Videos
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2010, 04:39:25 PM »
Got bored today so I did a bunch of videos and linked them into "The Survival Summary" site.

The Survival Summary can be found at:
http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/TheSurvivalSummary

Tiny Split Pea Peanut Lighter
Medeco Double Cylinder High Security Locks
Visonic Powermax Security System

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
Got bored today so I did a bunch of videos and linked them into "The Survival Summary" site.

My YouTube Channel:

German Bred German Shepherd
Chamberlain Wireless Pedestrian & Vehicle Alert System with 2 Way Voice Communication
Bushmaster AR15 .223

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »

My YouTube Channel:

Mossberg 500 12 Gauge Home Defender
Marlin Model 925 Micro Groove Barrel .22
Winchester Model 70 Shadow 270 WSM

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »

My YouTube Channel:

Beretta U22 Neos .22
Stack On GC-908-5 8-Gun Steel Security Cabinet
Plano 1612 Deep Water Resistant Field Box

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
Re: Survival Summary New Video
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »

My YouTube Channel:

Kidde KL-2S Two-Story Fire Escape Ladder with Anti-Slip Rungs, 13-Foot

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2010, 10:56:43 PM »
Thanks gigaJack, these videos are awesome! I've subscribed to your YouTube channel and look forward to more great things to come!

Offline Timbeau

• Prepper
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2010, 02:42:37 AM »
Sometimes Jack says there's a PhD in prepping to be had on the forum; I think there could be a bachelor's just on this thread.  For a guy who's still working on his BOB and his first 30 this is both information and inspiration.  Thanks a lot gigaJack!

plastics_guy

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2010, 08:36:06 PM »
New here to this forum and was looking over your list, extensive to say the least and a massive investment for sure. Have you ever tried to load all this stuff and make a dry run to your place in WI to see how long it takes and what might not fit? It looks like it would take a long time to load up everything in your trucks.

What's your plan on getting those water drums out of your basement? I'd thought about doing something similar in my basement but I have no idea how I'd get it out if I need to move them in a hurry. I know the empty drum is about 50# and then 55 gal of H2O at 8 lbs to the gal makes a weight per barrel of about 500 lbs. I've tried thinking a way to winch it out but I think it'd take me forever and all kinds of energy and take away from all the other things I need to be doing at that time.

As I scanned over the list I see you have a chain saw on the list but unless I missed it I didn't see 2 cycle oil, bar oil, or a spare chain, bar, or plug for it. Also trying to be safe might through in a set of saw chaps and make sure some safety glasses. After all in a SHTF situation a "minor" injury could turn fatal.

Thanks for all the work you've obviously put into this.

hillbilly

« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
Thanks for a great list and all the info.  We've been prepping for almost two years and are no where near as ready as you are.  I saved the list so we could go over it from time to time.  Again, thanks.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »
New here to this forum and was looking over your list, extensive to say the least and a massive investment for sure. Have you ever tried to load all this stuff and make a dry run to your place in WI to see how long it takes and what might not fit? It looks like it would take a long time to load up everything in your trucks.

What's your plan on getting those water drums out of your basement? I'd thought about doing something similar in my basement but I have no idea how I'd get it out if I need to move them in a hurry. I know the empty drum is about 50# and then 55 gal of H2O at 8 lbs to the gal makes a weight per barrel of about 500 lbs. I've tried thinking a way to winch it out but I think it'd take me forever and all kinds of energy and take away from all the other things I need to be doing at that time.

As I scanned over the list I see you have a chain saw on the list but unless I missed it I didn't see 2 cycle oil, bar oil, or a spare chain, bar, or plug for it. Also trying to be safe might through in a set of saw chaps and make sure some safety glasses. After all in a SHTF situation a "minor" injury could turn fatal.

Thanks for all the work you've obviously put into this.
We haven't done a dry run to see how long it will take. We have two plans: a "Gota go now" and a "Let's finish watching a show first, we have 1-2 hours to get out of dodge". I might have to rethink the name of the second one - it is a bit long ;-).

We won't take the 55 gallon barrels along for the ride we will only take the 5 gallon container and our berkey water filter system. We also have a small compact camping water filter.

gigaJack

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2010, 06:23:57 AM »
I finally bookmarked this link because I keep coming back to it :).  Amazing job and great reference source for us. 

Thanks

Offline steeltownknight

• Survivor
  • Still Surviving
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2010, 11:52:23 AM »
Scored some Ammo   ( 7.62x51mm NATO )    for my  almost completed H&K PSG 1 

SHHHHHHHHH... fairly sure NO one has one in my city  8)

Through mail order i saved over $7000.00  A lot of patience helps too.
Mine is the original style NOT the new PSG1A1  Variant or the MSG90  Military model.

Oh and it helps to have a uncle in the German military. ;)

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
Am I even a survivalist?
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2010, 12:58:26 AM »
I have read definitions between prepper and survivalist but I don't think it hit home until reading another forum based around "The Ultimate Prepper". Cool I got a new nick name ;-)

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=19903

I think my family may only be preparers, we might even be posers.

Their forum posts started off good but quickly went downhill from there. How I see it is that the good people on the other forum have a different take on life then my family does. I think their way of life (back woods home) is so vastly different then our suburban living that they don't get us.

All most all of their assertions were false and further reading on most of them would have answered most of their questions. It almost took on a mob mentality where even the first person who started the thread  on a positive note was also beating me up before the second page. I didn't see a point to joining their forum just to defend our way of preps. It would have been an uphill challenge. What a huge contrast between our forum and theirs. I have received nothing except encouragement from here.

I think that if they knew we had groceries deliver to us in a large yellow truck they would think we were crazy. In our city you cannot drive 3 blocks without seeing one of the trucks. I would love to have some acreage out in the country where we were more self-sufficient. If we lived that far out I would not be able to have the excellent income stream I provide for my family now. There are good and bad points to both living conditions.

The main thing we prepare for is loss of income. So what we do is store the amount of food our family eats (yes, that includes soda pop, fruit snacks, breakfast cereal with *gasp* sugar in it) in the time it cannot go bad. We also have long term storage food also (rice, wheat, beans & Mountain House).

It is almost like I need to put a disclaimer on the top of my blog that reads: "By survival summary I mean all the crap I can purchase now that we use on a daily basis that I might not be able to afford (or get) if I lose my job." This is how we live now and all of our preps are for continuing to live the same way if times get tough. If my survival summary was put into that context then the folks can take it for what it is. I am not one of those guys that blogs about telling you that you need to live like Little House on the Prairie or hunker in a bunker.

Personally we find it hard to think of a scenario of when the power company will cease to exist, or farmers will stop growing food, or dentist and doctors will just disappear. We believe it will only ever get as bad as the great depression. Yeah sure, it really sucked for the 25% of people who didn't have jobs but everyone had food, water & gas if they could pay for it. Perhaps I am too optimistic but I cannot envision an America where a society could collapse or disaster happen so bad that after 3-6 months things wouldn't be back to some normalcy (excluding zombies, nuclear war & [INSERT ANYTHING I MISSED HERE]). Up to 2-3 years ago I though the opposite. I was preparing for the Russians to invade as portrayed in the Rawles type books.

So what I am really asking is: Can I still call myself a survivalist? Or am I just one of those yuppies poser  with too much money. If your answer is yes that I am just a poser, why? Is it because I have the money to buy all the "crap gadgets" they called it on the other forum? I think my mindset is the same as most other survivalist but am I a poser because I have the means to buy stuff?

I would like to think by providing the survival summary people would see the good in it. But getting slammed makes me wonder if it is worth it.

gigaJack

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2010, 01:28:11 AM »
Based on YOUR disaster plan, you've planned for the things that YOU feel are most likely to happen. It is your plan.

You are doing the right thing for you, as I am doing the right thing for me, as other members are doing the right thing for themselves. We all have different plans, but we also have a respect for each other.

Don't let them get to you. If you do they win.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2010, 07:42:37 AM »
Wow, I am glad that they are all perfect over there and have it all figured out. 

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2010, 07:44:36 AM »
Bartsdad said it well.  Everyone is different.  Everyones situation and comfort levels are different.  I tend to agree to an extent the great depression is a good baseline for what could happen.  I think that the higher population density and the greater dependency on electric and other modern conveniences and systems will make it worse by a several degrees but I don't see a total lawless "Postman" type future.  I could be way off and I understand that.  Personally I believe the single greatest threat we face is a major long term power failure.  But that is my own personal opinion.

Nobody knows what the future holds.  All we can do is our best to prepare for it in the best ways we can.  

I know I look to you for inspiration at times, Your level of organization and lists etc are a major help to me in working on my pepperations.  Keep on Keepin on.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2010, 08:08:43 AM »
I should have thought my response through before hitting post However, I would like to say that I have learned a lot from your summery.  I agree with some of it, I disagree with some of it.  The organization is outstanding and I took a lot from it.  It is worth while especially to us that are just getting started

jcody

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2010, 09:31:26 AM »
I agree with the other posts.  Keep up the good work.  You are doing what you want to do and your family is living the way they want to.
You have set a great example of a highly organised system of prepping. It gives us, less than so well organised people, a guide and you have undertaken a lot of the work for us.  I would like to say thanks and keep up the great work
Jason

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
Thanks, gigaJack.  Your Survival Summary is really helpful.  I've only been working prepping and self-sufficiency for a little more than a year, and your list is helping me to find the holes I need to fill.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »
I've been to a few other boards. Most of the sort of scared me. I love the fact that TSP accepts that all of us are individuals and we are all preparing for what we see as a possible future and in our own ways. Anyone who gets all bent out of shape because you have sugared cereal in your short term preps is way too fanatical for my tastes.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
New Videos
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2010, 11:48:20 PM »

Offline m6996j23

• Prepper
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »
l think that the powers that be , will wait untill late 2012 before the tshf happens. . one gets ready, then it does not happen, then does it again and again.,.. just be ready for bullets blo0dshed and bad people.... have food and water as much as you can put up///be ready this will go on for a year or so.  .. .love and peace hillbilly mik

Offline volwest

• Senior Survivalist
    • Le survivaliste
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
GigaJack,

The work you have put forth speaks for itself.
As Nietzsche would say : "the actions of a man are either praised or condemned, but rarely understood."

The intention is shared by all, but the expression of this intention can only be a personal affair. Your survival summary is the fruit of that intention...its appreciation is dependent upon personal taste, conditions, "schooling", direction, point of view, beliefs and anticipations.

I wouldn't beat myself up about it.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
gigaJack.

I would not worry about what those people say about your preps. You have done a great job with your summary and a lot of TSP Ants have gained a lot from your time and effort to bring it to us.  I thank you for what you have done.

What a bunch of snobbish pricks, with their better than you attitude. Who are they to judge what you or anyone else has done?

Please keep it up, do not get discouraged.

TW

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2010, 01:52:19 PM »
As Hunter S. Thomspon would say, "Don't take any guff from these f***ing swine"

;)  Don't base your opinion of yourself on what others think.  Allowing you and your family to be defined by what a bunch of ass hats on a forum think is downright silly.

My initial reaction to them is that it sounds like they're jealous. 

Also, people typically speak differently when they're responding to a screen name than they do when they're responding to a human being who is standing in front of them.  Especially when they think they're taking pot-shots at somebody who isn't there to defend themselves.

They talk big, but chances are more than half of them live in the city, in an apartment, and can barely make the payments on their "keeping up with the Jones'" lifestyle, let alone prepare in a way that YOU think is necessary.

The bottom line is that if TSHTF, you have a serious plan.  Don't worry about anybody else.  That's their problem, not yours.

Still, I am pissed off for you.  This is a good lesson in forum and internet etiquette.  If you find a plan that you don't agree with, how about a little civility toward the creator, rather than throwing them into the mud and deciding that they're a bunch of posers before you actually speak to them?

Offline Andy44

• Prepper
    • Self Sufficiency World
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2010, 03:06:49 PM »
GigaJack,

I spotted your site in it's original form sometime ago and have been back a few times to check it out. I've also followed some of your posted on the TSP forum where I am a regular reader and a seldom poster. I've just been over and checked the forum you linked too and frankly my attitude was F*** 'em. You've done what you felt you had to do, had the means to do, and the motivation to do, in order to protect your familty.

GOOD FOR YOU MY FRIEND!

I read some of  the comments on the other site and I detect the big green eyed jealousy monster! Anyone who ever did anything worthwhile attracted criticism and negative comments (I'm sure Jack would confirm that) . I always figure it's one of the ways you know you're succeeding!

Stick with your plan and ignore the "negheads". Keep it up - a lot of us are learning a lot! THANK YOU!

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2010, 12:23:28 AM »
I posted some new videos on "The Survival Summary" site.

Precious Metals Coins For Survival (Gold, Silver, Junk Silver, Nickel & Copper)
http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/precious-metals-junk-silver-coins-for-survival/

Diamond Strike Anywhere Matches
http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/diamond-strike-anywhere-matches/

Coleman Rugged Battery Powered Lantern (Family Size)
http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/coleman-rugged-battery-powered-lantern-family-size/

gigaJack

Goatdog62

« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2010, 12:38:59 AM »
Gigajack, you are one of the most prepped persons I know of. Outstanding. +1