Author Topic: Survival Summary  (Read 154207 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: Survival Summary
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2010, 11:51:47 AM »
Nice job Gigajack.  I just saw that Coleman lantern for the first time last night at a friends house.  (the kids were using it for their "Hideout" in the house).  Your review is right on the mark. 

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
Get Home Bag
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
I added a video on my site about my get home bag. The video is at the bottom of the post after the bullet points of the included items.

http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/get-home-bag

gigaJack

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2010, 07:42:03 PM »
I saw it today, nice work

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »
You rule, gigaJack.

Offline gonnathrive

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2010, 11:04:42 PM »
Wow that was great, raises the bar on my plan for sure, thanks.

Offline wolfracer

• Prepper
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2010, 10:53:42 AM »
Most impressive! Great work gigaJack .

endurance

« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2010, 11:12:18 AM »
Now that I've had to move every single pound of food that I have stored in the process of moving over the last six weeks, I'm convinced it's time I need to use your spreadsheet as I build the shelves and start putting things up and really figure out just what I have for calories.  I suspect somewhere on the order of 18 months for two people, but I could easily be off by 25% in either direction.  I also need to do a better job of rotating my 'store what you eat, eat what you store' food than I did in the last place.  I'm definitely getting some can racks into the picture.  After tossing out at least two cases of expired canned fruits that I didn't even recall buying (in 2007), I have to change my ways.

thanks again for sharing so much of your methods.  Sure beats trying to re-invent the wheel!

Offline OffTheGidReady

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Prepare for the worst, expect the best.
    • Off The Grid Ready
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Nitrogen packed Wise Foods. 25 year shelf life is hard to beat.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2010, 11:58:14 PM »
Nice. I love the site. Don't listen to negative people on other sight. When I read their comment about your preps, I kept thinking "Wait a minute. He has 1-2 years of food for his family." I'm actually jealeous.

Pat

Offline NeWt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »
Here is a link to my survival summary created with Google docs.

There is also a storage food link in the food section where it links to a spread sheet.

I always feel that I need to read hundreds of pages in books and pages on pages of forums to get to the “meat and potatoes” of ideas and concepts. I work better from lists with small descriptions next to them.

I would be interested in seeing your survival summary.

GigaJack

OMG!!!!

I just started listening to Jack's podcasts and found the forums pretty neat.  I started reading through the "survival summary" and realized I'm way out of touch from where I want to be.   :o  Dude...you have OPENED my eyes on how to be prepared.  I'm making my own list in my head as I type this.  

I'm going to be spending a LOT of time on this site methinks.

-NeWt

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:30:55 PM by NeWt »

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2010, 09:30:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum NeWt.  When you get the chance, please stop over at the Intro Thread and introduce yourself.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
New Videos
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2010, 12:01:54 PM »

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2010, 05:53:27 PM »
Gigajack about the respirator in your get home bag video.  A particulate filter (P95 or P1000) is not meant for use in a chemical spill area.  Even if they are CBRN filters they are not meant for chemical spills.  Each filter is mean for certain chemicals and will only get you injured in an area with low oxygen or a chemical that the filter is not rated for.  P95 or P1000 respirators are a great item to have just use caution using them when you do not know what it is that you are up against. 

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
Typo on that N95 and N1000 not P

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »
Gigajack about the respirator in your get home bag video.  A particulate filter (P95 or P1000) is not meant for use in a chemical spill area.  Even if they are CBRN filters they are not meant for chemical spills.  Each filter is mean for certain chemicals and will only get you injured in an area with low oxygen or a chemical that the filter is not rated for.  P95 or P1000 respirators are a great item to have just use caution using them when you do not know what it is that you are up against. 
Do you know if my smoke hood kept at work will protect from chemical spills? It looks like it will protect from some (Carbon Monoxide (CO) Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN) Hydrogen Chloride (HCL) Acrolein (CH 2 CHCHO) Anthrax) says their directions.

Safe Escape Fire Smoke Hood ASE60A Hard Case 60 min:

Safe Escape, Smoke and Fire Safety Hood This fire hood is a fire safety necessity for persons living, working or vacationing in high rise buildings. Safe Escape Fire Escape Smoke Hood protects against smoke inhalation and falling hot ash. This emergency smoke hood is guaranteed to provide up to 60 minutes of breathable air, the Safe Escape smoke hood gives you enough time to escape any burning building, home, apartment, hotel, office, hospital or school. Without using this smoke mask, you have less than 60 seconds to escape the deadly effects of Smoke Inhalation (SI). Safe Escape protects your head completely from toxic smoke and falling hot ash. Safe Escape Fire Escape Smoke Hood Components: Oversized Hood: Fits entire head completely. Covers a full head of hair, facial hair and glasses. Extra Large Clear Vision Window: Provides wearer with clear view. Reduces chances of claustrophobia. High Capacity Filter Cartridge: Stainless steel cartridge shell. Allows up to 60 minutes of filtered safe air. Elastomeric cotton neck dam seals out polluted air. Adjustable two-point belt button helps fit mask securely to face. A 3 Part System Protects Against: Carbon Monoxide (CO) Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN) Hydrogen Chloride (HCL) Acrolein (CH 2 CHCHO) Anthrax And many other toxic gases and smoke.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QZ6ANA?ie=UTF8&tag=thesurvsumm-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000QZ6ANA

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2010, 07:10:48 PM »
This is an escape hood that is meant to help you get out of a building.  It does not supply oxygen and is meant for only low levels of these products.  It probably has a fifteen minute or less rating and says that it is not to be used in oxygen deficient atmospheres.  These type of hoods are meant to be used in places like office buildings for people to have an easier time going through light smoke and get out of the building.  A respirator is a great idea I just do not want you to get yourself in trouble using the hood for something that it is not meant to be used for.  By the way the videos are great.  If I ever get the time I plan on doing similar videos of out equipment.  Stay safe.

Offline 264Win

• Prepper
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
  Great organizer really gets to the point and covers every thing necessary.  Great tool for inventory use and resupply

Offline 40caliberMikey

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »
I stumbled on your site a few weeks ago before signing up for TSP. You motivated me to make some security improvements that were way overdue.

Offline paleo_prep

• Prepper
  • "Life is better when it is not ordinary."
    • PaleoPrepper
Re: Get Home Bag
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2011, 07:53:02 AM »
I added a video on my site about my get home bag. The video is at the bottom of the post after the bullet points of the included items.

http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/get-home-bag

gigaJack

Sorry that this input is coming so many months after your original post, but I just watched this video (AMAZING get-home bag, by the way!), and I was wondering if you wanted to include one of those water-purifier straws. You mentioned that you live 22 miles from home and are prepared to walk, and that you have 2-days'-worth of water. I'm just thinking that all that walking might make a person more thirsty than normal, so it could be good to have a fall-back method for obtaining additional hydration. If you take the straw out of its packaging, it could easily fit into your first aid kit. Just a thought....

Offline paleo_prep

• Prepper
  • "Life is better when it is not ordinary."
    • PaleoPrepper
Re: Get Home Bag
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2011, 01:19:54 PM »
...I was wondering if you wanted to include one of those water-purifier straws.

Doh! As I was driving around campus today, it popped into my head that you have iodine tablets as part of your kit. Sounds like the addition of a filter straw would be superfluous. When I watch videos while on the treadmill, apparently my conscious mind sometimes takes a little vacation....

Offline gusty1

• Prepper
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Stumbled upon your site while looking up food storage on youtube.  I loved it very detailed look at a suburban prepper, very good do you plan on doing more at any point? Just curious, thanks for all the info and inspiration.

Offline MrThirteen

• Survivor
    • Thirteensworld
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »
gigaJack, thank you for taking the time not only to do an inventory of what you have and what you are doing, but also to post that inventory online for those of us just starting out to aspire to. As Jack from TSP says, "it has to be your plan" I will not be coping from yours verbatum however I will be using it as a guide to point out major and even minor holes in my plan.

I took the liberty of Evernoting (not a word but neither was googling when it started) your entire survival summary just in case your site ever goes down.  (With evernote.com you can clip an entire web page.)

I did not read through all 5 pages of this post, but have done a few pages. 

One note of caution for those looking at the video / photo's of his basement food preps.  Consider securing the shelving and stuff on the shelves in case the ground shakes.   Earthquakes can happen anywhere.  (They are just more likely to happen here in So. Cal where I am from)

Again thanks posting your work.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
The Survival Summary moved to a new server. It now has its own domain name http://survivalsummary.com.

I have the old Wordpress website redirecting to the new hosting site. You should update any bookmarks you have nonetheless.

gigaJack

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
Great work, gigaJack, very impressive.  I have looked at the site and read some of the posts here: do you have any kind of document package that you would put together for a bug out situation.  If so, what did you include?

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
Great work, gigaJack, very impressive.  I have looked at the site and read some of the posts here: do you have any kind of document package that you would put together for a bug out situation.  If so, what did you include?

We have all of our documents in the safe in a gallon zip top bag. We keep vehicle titles, marriage certificates, insurance policies, old driver licenses, expired CCW permits, birth certificates, social security cards, pet microchip information.

gigaJack

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
We have all of our documents in the safe in a gallon zip top bag. We keep vehicle titles, marriage certificates, insurance policies, old driver licenses, expired CCW permits, birth certificates, social security cards, pet microchip information.

gigaJack
I have to ask - Old Drivers licenses..  We have to surrender ours upon renewal.  Does your state not require this?

Offline GeorgiaBoy

• Prepper
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »
Folks that weren't around in the early to mid 90's typically lack of sense of OPSEC in regards to talking about what all they have, etc. Those of us that were around in that time period realize the importance of FALSE TRAILS, a little psy ops and in general keeping your mouth shut about the quantities involved in your preps.

So what happened in the mid 90's to make OPSEC even more important than now?

Offline newsur

• Prepper
  • WE THE PEOPLE
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2011, 06:46:48 PM »
   Dear gigaJack.  I Consider Myself Extremely Well Prepaired For Any Bugout, Bio Attack And Just About Any Other Type Of Bad Sittuation...  But I Must Say You Take The Cake.  Im More Prepaired In The Sence Of Short Term Collamity.  Your In It For The Long Haul.  You Opened My Eyes To A Lot Of Possabilities.  I Consider Myself A Survivalist But You Have The Urban Homestead Survival Down Pat.  I Watched All Your Vids And Every1 Of Them Tought Me Something Or A Nother.  Keep Up The Good Prep.  Thank You For All Your Reviews.  They Are Savin Me $$$$$.

Offline newsur

• Prepper
  • WE THE PEOPLE
« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »
   Dear gigaJack.  I Have A Question And Comment For You.  I Noticed You Said You Have Gasmasks In One Of Your Vids,  Its Not On The List.  What About CBR Suits,  Plastic Tarp And Duct Tape For Windows N Such?  I Have An Interstate Close To My House So I Am Prepaired For Chem Spills And Such.  11 Gasmasks And Cbr Suits, One For Every1 In The Fam And 6 Extras For If Company Is Over At The Time.  Master Bedroom Is ChemSaferoom For Access To Water After Shuting Off The Intake Valve To The Waterheater.  Stay Safe gigaJack.