Author Topic: Any homeschooling moms out there?  (Read 11314 times)

Offline mskoyote

• Prepper
Re: Any homeschooling moms out there?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »
We homeschool, too. I currently have a first grader and a preschooler (who we're not act

We use Math Mammoth (which I HIGHLY recommend for lower elementary math at least), and other than that, mostly reading, journals, and conversation, loosely based on the "First Step" curriculum. We also do piano and Hebrew (we're Jewish). I suppose with the exception of math you could say I am an "unschooler", but I hate that using that term because it is for some families it is a mutated term for chaos and neglect. My goal is to educate my kids to be independent and creative critical thinkers.
I keep looking at Math Mammoth for next year. At the moment, we're not using an organized math curriculum, just random workbooks (got $200 worth for $5 at a yard sale a few years ago). The fact that Math Mammoth includes the teaching is pushing me in that direction, though the frugal side of me says to just use what we already have!

If I'm honest the main reason I don't use a formal curriculum is because most available out there are Christian, and we're, well, Jews. Nothing but sincere respect for my Christian friends, but it's just not what we want for our family. The secular curricula we've found more often than not replicate public school at home, which kind of defeats the purpose. First Step/Connect the Thoughts is an exception to that rule, but even that I must, at times, modify - but fundamentally it is a good curriculum that can be easily modified to be presented with the values and perspective you want to give your kids.
Have you looked at Charlotte Mason (a philosophy, not a specific curriculum) at all? It sounds similar to what you're doing already. While many of the CM resources out there are Christian in nature, the principles can be adopted to any religious tradition, or made secular. http://www.amblesideonline.org/ is a relatively encyclopedic resource for learning about it, with a complete reading list and schedule for all grades. http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/ has a somewhat more secularly-oriented booklist, arranged more in line with the 4 year history rotation suggested by proponents of the classical method, as lvschant mentioned.

Personally, we use an amalgamation of Classical and CM methods.

Offline mskoyote

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
We homeschool, too. I currently have a first grader and a preschooler (who we're not act
Erm, that should be "Whom we're not actively homeschooling yet."

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 12:22:41 PM »
Thanks.. I think I have heard friends mention CM in passing.

I consider homeschooling an organic process, and I am constantly open to new ideas. The source of the idea is irrelevant to me - only whether it is worth something to me, or not. :)

Someone on this thread mentioned that Robinson self-teaching curriculum. Personally that approach is a little too narrow for me, as I think education should not be exclusively about self-teaching from books, but also about learning how and when to listen to the wisdom, knowledge, and experiences of other people. Still, I think Dr. Robinson had some valid thoughts. Oral learning, for one, is something I adopted into our school day immediately!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 09:54:48 PM »
Someone on this thread mentioned that Robinson self-teaching curriculum. Personally that approach is a little too narrow for me, as I think education should not be exclusively about self-teaching from books, but also about learning how and when to listen to the wisdom, knowledge, and experiences of other people. Still, I think Dr. Robinson had some valid thoughts. Oral learning, for one, is something I adopted into our school day immediately!
We use the Robinsion curriculum mainly for the books that are included. Education includes all sources of learning. Most of the books he includes are almost impossible to find now in their original text. My boys love reading most of them. Also, try to find an old set of the Book of Knowledge. The older, the better.

Offline cardon831

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »
Hello, I'm a homeschooling mom with my son graduating this year!! He did his senior year at a local college in town and has decided that he will do distance learning, clep tests and dante tests.  Not worth it to him to sit in a class and not get his questions answered by the prof.  We used the Well Trained Mind method also, I was loose with their learning (have a daughter that is 24, did her junior/senior year at college also) after we got the basic reading, writing, math, latin, and public speaking down, I let them direct a lot of what they wanted to learn.  Both kids are productive members of society today earning a living and have a great work ethic. 

As for getting it all done, I didn't.  I always find, even today, if I'm focusing on one thing something else isn't getting done.  The main is that everthing at least gets "touched" so that in the end life is well rounded.  I learned early on that I would rather read out loud good literature to the kids while they were doing art or trying to fold laundry for me (while the dog was stealing it and running around the backyard with it!).  Those are precious memories that we have now that I would never give up.  Funny how we really don't talk about the times that the laundry was behind, the house could have been cleaner, etc.

My daughter is a school  teacher and is amazed at what goes on. Both of my kids are now very thankful that they have the tools they need to learn anything they need to find out.  There are holes in ANY education.  Give them what the need to fill those holes on their own and you have created a lifetime learner.  THAT is success!

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »
Amen, Cardon! I believe the goal of an education is to enable a young person to teach themselves once they are adults, including fundamental tools (reading, writing, basic math skills, oral communication, etc) and critical thinking skills. As far as content, the goal should be to build useful skills and an understanding of the world that reinforces the values you hope to impart. For those of us that had a traditional education, how many courses did we take with which we came out with absolutely nothing?