Author Topic: Hunting in Florida  (Read 1839 times)

Offline 21B Survivor

• Prepper
Hunting in Florida
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:05:05 AM »
Hey all,

I am a bit new to the survival community, I have been listing to the podcasts for about a month and I have made much progress in my self sustainability.
However, I have never been hunting in my life. I love camping and fishing and have wanted to get into hunting for a while now but I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL. and there is no place that I am aware of to hunt, I don't have any friends or family that live close that hunt. Thus its a bit tough to get into hunting in a urban/suburban area with no one else who hunts.

Any tips on how to get into hunting or if anyone who lives in Florida who hunts that I could tag along with just so I can learn, I would appreciate any help.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Hunting in Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
My first question would be do you own a gun suitable for hunting.

If no you should look into getting one and training in it's proper use and safety.

If yes do you have firearms safety training.  Safely handling a fire arm is the most important skill needed if you are going to use one for any reason.  Not sure how things are in Florida but here you have to go to a hunters safety course before thay will sell you a license.  Or look old enough that they don't ask for it lol.

Look here for regulations and licensing requirements.    http://myfwc.com/

Get to an Appleseed event.  Great training and great people that would be good contacts,  I bet a bunch of them hunt too.
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
I notice events starting in January in Myakka City, FL.  Yes I know that is 150 mile away but it is well worth it.

Look in the local area for gun and hunting clubs.

Of course there also might be someone here that would be willing to meet you and see how things go.

Offline 21B Survivor

• Prepper
Re: Hunting in Florida
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:42:11 AM »
Who... me?,

(My first question would be do you own a gun suitable for hunting.)
not yet,in the near future I will be getting my self a Remington 700 .308 and a sporting 12 gauge.

(Fire arms safety)
I have been plinking around with a .22LR since I was about 6, shooting pistols and revolvers since I was about 16, and the Army for 5 years, qualified on the m4/m16, m9, m240b, m249, m2, m203 and the mk19.
I am signed up for the hunters safety course in January. I don't need the course or license if I hunt private land, but will get the course and license none the less. only one hunting club in my area that I can find and membership is an arm and a leg, may still do it just to get my foot in the door.

(Appleseed)
I didn't think of this, I think it would be a great idea. I will look into it.

Thanks.