Author Topic: Antlers wont fly on United Airlines  (Read 2881 times)

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
Antlers wont fly on United Airlines
« on: December 17, 2009, 04:13:47 PM »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/12/united-airlines-antlers.html

Hunting organizations are taking aim at United Airlines over a recent change in the carrier's baggage policy that has some hunters unable to transport their trophy racks back home.

United has updated its "prohibited articles" policy and will no longer accept antlers or any animal horns to be checked as baggage or in carry-on luggage. Ironically, firearms and small-arms ammunition are still allowed in checked baggage.

The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and other hunting advocacy groups are trying to work with airline officials to come up with an alternative shipping solution.

“This decision reeks of anti-hunting bias or, at the least, really bad judgment,” said Doug Jeanneret, USSA vice president of marketing. “United needs to drop this policy immediately; otherwise sportsmen will have no choice but to let them know of their displeasure by seeking other airlines to support.”

In the meantime, those heading out of state or out of the country to hunt are being advised to keep this prohibition in mind when making travel arrangements.

-- Kelly Burgess

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Antlers wont fly on United Airlines
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »
And they don't say why, just...
Antlers & animal horns
United Airlines does not accept antlers or animal horns as checked or carry-on baggage on any flights.

Hmm, I'd like to know their reasons.

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »
Despicable, given the amount of money one pays for a flight, out of state license (more often than not) and the fact that this is your only souvenir from the trip.  We are currently waiting to ship some venison from NY to CA to a friend who hunted with us.  Should probably be about $100 to overnight him a small taste of the animal he shot while he was here with us.  Anyway, it's hunting season, I saw this and had to rant.  I'm done.  Thanks

idahobob

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/12/united-airlines-antlers.html

Hunting organizations are taking aim at United Airlines over a recent change in the carrier's baggage policy that has some hunters unable to transport their trophy racks back home.

United has updated its "prohibited articles" policy and will no longer accept antlers or any animal horns to be checked as baggage or in carry-on luggage. Ironically, firearms and small-arms ammunition are still allowed in checked baggage.

The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and other hunting advocacy groups are trying to work with airline officials to come up with an alternative shipping solution.

“This decision reeks of anti-hunting bias or, at the least, really bad judgment,” said Doug Jeanneret, USSA vice president of marketing. “United needs to drop this policy immediately; otherwise sportsmen will have no choice but to let them know of their displeasure by seeking other airlines to support.”

In the meantime, those heading out of state or out of the country to hunt are being advised to keep this prohibition in mind when making travel arrangements.

-- Kelly Burgess

Now that just sucks!!! The next thing that you know, you won't be able to ship salmon that you have caught in Alaska on United.

Humbug!!

Bob
III

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »
Not defending them or nothing, but it could be that they dont want to worry about state laws regarding transportation of antlers/horns. I suppose if someone wanted to get nasty about it, they theoretically could get nailed for interstate commerce?
Still crappy. Glad I dont have to worry about it, going from Kansas to Nebraska.
RipT

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »
Not defending them or nothing, but it could be that they dont want to worry about state laws regarding transportation of antlers/horns. I suppose if someone wanted to get nasty about it, they theoretically could get nailed for interstate commerce?
Still crappy. Glad I dont have to worry about it, going from Kansas to Nebraska.
RipT
Could be Rip, at least I hadn't considered that angle.  It would be hard to keep up with all the regulations I suppose.