Author Topic: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds  (Read 15072 times)

Offline Lenwood

• Prepper
    • Lenwood Leather
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:11:46 PM »
Baker Creek is a short drive from where I live so I usually try making a trip down to see the place after I get the new catalog each year.

Prices are fair.

Variety is incredible.

There stock on certain things bottoms out near the end of the season though so it can be hard to get something at that time.

Check out there site:  http://rareseeds.com/

$50 from baker creek and a PVC pipe with ends on it and you are set.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:53:12 AM »
Very interesting site... they offer a collection packed in a metal sealed tin for long-term storage... wish they had a description that told what seeds were included in the collection, though.

idahobob

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »
To be honest, we have ordered seeds from Baker Creek that past two years and the germination rate has been horrible. We will not be ordering from them again.  >:(

Bob
III

Offline Lenwood

• Prepper
    • Lenwood Leather
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 02:22:09 PM »
We just used them last year and had no noticeable problems with germination rate. But thanks for the input Bob that is certainly something to consider.

Was it better or worse with particular plants?

~l

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
I used to live 5 minutes from them & I still buy 95% of my seeds from them.

I've had no problems with germination.  Curious.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 04:19:20 PM »
Thanks for the link. I just requested their catalog. Got to get ready for spring.

Pat

idahobob

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 06:21:22 PM »
We just used them last year and had no noticeable problems with germination rate. But thanks for the input Bob that is certainly something to consider.

Was it better or worse with particular plants?

~l

It was just overall bad. When you get less than 50% on the tomatoes........well all ofthe seeds that we got from them were 50% or less.

We will be getting our seeds from here:

http://www.groworganic.com/default.html

Bob
III

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 06:41:21 PM »
Thanks for the link. I orderred this catalog also.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 10:22:13 PM »
We grown from seed the last two years from seeds we got from Baker Creek. We had better than 90% germination, with two year old seeds.

Offline SigMan34

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 01:18:21 PM »
We placed our order with Baker Creek in late December and received it in about 10 days --- complete as ordered --- along with a couple "sample", "give these a try" packets of other seeds.

Nice.

Offline QuiltingB

• Senior Survivalist
    • http://blueroseweb.com/quiltingb
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
I've made several large seed orders from Baker Creek this year and the end of last year.  Very good germination rate on all seeds - better germination than I had from other non-hybrid seed sellers.  In fact I like them so much, I have stopped buying seeds from seedsavers.org and victoryseeds.com and buy almost exclusively from Baker Creek - also, flat postage of $3 is incentive for lots of orders - shipping doesn't kill me if I decide that I want another few packets of seeds.

The first week of Feb, here in E Tx, I planted lots of seeds from them, fava beans, khlorabi, beets, carrots, spinach, lettuce and peas (these from seedsavers.org) - it snowed 2 times in the following 3 weeks and the soil was cold and soaked for almost 3 solid weeks - I really thought I lost all my seeds.  A month later they are almost all popped up - and the fava beans are still popping up.  I am tickled, but a bit concerned that they are really a month behind schedule since they took a month to germinate.

I am having trouble with my tomatoes - but those seeds are from all 3 of the above mentioned sellers - they ALL germinate, but I am having trouble keeping them alive - it is probably somehow my fault though.

Offline Dene B.

• Survivor
    • Country Consultant
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 10:45:13 AM »
We order from Baker Creek and have no issues with them.  Fast delivery and a great selection of seeds that we just couldn't find anywhere else.

Offline operator

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 08:37:38 AM »
I ordered all my seeds from Bakers Creek and Pine Tree Gardens (superseeds.com).  Had good luck with germination rates from both places.  Some of the peppers from pine tree didn't do as well as I wanted, but I think that was my fault.  Pine tree has a large selection and really good prices on all their heirloom seeds.

Offline MountainManIndy

• Prepper
  • My road to somewhere else... [where I grew up]
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 11:58:13 AM »
 :badgarden: Great websites... I've been doing some organic gardening for about 4 years now... and have had some ups/downs and surprises... (mostly good ones). I'll check out both suggested sites for some additional seeds and such... for the fall planting. My current garden has 5 different varieties of tomatoes, couple different peppers, basil, rosemary, lavender, shallots, green beans (bush beans), cucumber and some marigolds (encourages bees and the good nematoads)... plus a side raised bed garden with all kinds of flowers along with some camomile and echineacea. So far it's been a good growth rate for all... and the flowers have been exceptional...  ;D

Offline HillbillyHemi

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
Old thread here,however I wanted to chime in.
I live about 10 minutes away and know most of the people there very well. All I can say is what a great group of people and it is always a pleasure doing business with them. I have not had any major germination issues however I would suspect there is always a chance for a problem.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »
They were prompt in answering questions via email.

Just ordered some seeds on sale for half price. Here's the linky -
http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/sale-items.html

Will be experimenting with some unusual sorghum, squash, and melons. 

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 11:12:34 AM »
I love, Love, LOVE their spring planting festival! ;D Although hubby cringes at the thought of me going as the last time I spent over $300 in just BC seeds alone.  Granted, the festival is always too late in the season for me to start seed (I usually start my seeds in January, and a few even as early as December), so I order from the catalog anything new I want to plant the current year, especially if it tends to sell out early, but when I go to the festival to get the bulk of my seeds for the following season. And even though they don't get planted until the following year (or sometimes longer), I've always had a decent germination rate with seeds from Baker Creek.  Even with those varieties known to have poor germination rates I still get a fair amount of success. 

The only real issue I've had are mislabeled packages, i.e. Amish Pie Pumpkin turning out to be Jack-Be-Little.  It's not such a big deal with the tomatoes, but when you are limited in growing space and counting on a specific variety/size to help feed the family come winter, and then end up with it being a tiny ornamental...although in saying that, the JBLs were quite tasty, just not enough of them.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
Would LOVE to go to their festival and see their "town". Their catalog has lots of eye candy.

Offline Downeastwaves

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »
LOVE, Love, Love Baker Creek seeds! I've ordered and planted them and they were great! The catalog is awesome

I'd love to visit the village and take in a festival. Jere Gettle's story is wonderful!

Offline beakerello

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 10:14:51 AM »
I've order quite a few seed from BC, always fast and prompt. I love their catalogue.

Offline Sprunch

• Prepper
  • Has the gear, learning the skills
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »
Just got my catalogue in the mail yesterday, need to get on ordering for spring planting! 8)

Offline PalmettoPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Palmetto Prepper
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
You cant go wrong with Bakers Creek ..... we love them and order from them every year!

+1 for Bakers Creek

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
I just placed an order... they are very nice to deal with. I had a modification to my order... emailed them and they corrected it immediately.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 08:26:07 PM »
I also like this company.  I sometimes think they are wearing some liberal politics a little close to the surface, especially when they talk about Iraq and veganism, but it takes all types to make the world spin, and their selection for things like tomatoes, eggplant, melons and squash are amazing.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »
I highly recommend Baker Creek. Not only is their seed catalog beyond beautiful (with recipes and other info in it), but they are a very generous company and do alot for our Seedy Saturday. I have not had the opportunity to grow out many of their seeds, but what I have, are all good seed for me. Again, I highly recommend them and they get high marks from me.

If you guys ever have bad seed, tell the company and often they will make good on it and/or give you pointers.

Cedar

FarmerJim

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
I've ordered from Bakers Creek for years now, I recommend it to my clients and personally only use their seed for my classes and projects! (Exception being the few herbs/tobacco varieties they don't stock)

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 05:55:36 AM »
Nearly everything I grow is from BC except for some bulk stuff like clover where I was able to get a lb for cheaper from high mowing.

Most of my tomato varieities, dragon tongue bean, kabul chickpeas etc all from BC. Haven't had real issues with their germination. Always plant three for every one I want and cull the other two. I save the seeds now, but I love finding their interesting new varities and how they bring back old heirlooms.