Author Topic: How many canning jars?  (Read 20089 times)

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
How many canning jars?
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:38:25 AM »
Just out of curiosity, as a newbie to the canning process, how many total jars do you have in rotation?

I can easily see the need for 500 plus jars. By the time a good vegetable harvest and a good fall hunt are put up, a good deal of jars have been used.And then there are the sauces, salsas,and soups....

Am I way off base, or is 500 a real number for an ambitious canner?

Thanks

homeshow

Re: How many canning jars?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 05:51:25 AM »
good question!  jars are like ammo, dry beans, spare socks, and chocolate  is there ever too much?    i can't put a number on it.  we have about 16-18 cases of 1/2 pints, pints and quarts.  then my super frugal wife calls me and says "there's this thrift store and they are selling jars at 15cents each"  so i went down there and made a deal on all he had that was canning jars.  some were not and some were cracked or just too dirty to mess with.  at 7 cents a jar we got about 160 jars of all sizes.  and 30 boxes of regular sized lids and 12 boxes of wide mouth lids at $0.50 per box.  why so many jars and lids?

1.  too many jars means only giving away foods YOU want to give away.

2.  too many jars also means you don't get too huffy about people who do not return empties.

3.  also you are in a great spot to gratefully take advantage of any gifts from God.  say Joe down the ways wants all those apples off his tree and out of his yard.  apple sauce stores well.  as does pie filling.

one more thing make sure you have lids when the stores stop selling them for the season.  strawberries fruit here before the jars and lids are in the store.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:15:25 AM »
one more thing make sure you have lids when the stores stop selling them for the season.  strawberries fruit here before the jars and lids are in the store.

Loaded up on lids myself, they never have them when you need them.
Also loaded up on jars when they were clearing out remaining stock, you can never have enough.

Sounds like you made a score.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:25:27 AM »
I would recommend also having a variety of sizes.
We have about 7-8 dozen half-pints for jam.  (some people like bigger jars so you do not have to open so often; with low-sugar, I find the larger jams go bad before we can eat it all - not enough sugar to keep out the baddies)
We have about 8-9 dz pints, some wide mouth for things like butter and lard, and mostly reg for sauces and carrots and beans and things.
I have about 300 quarts, wide mouths for potatoes, reg mouth for peaches (although some folks prefer their peaches in wide), stock and pumpkin (which, btw - do not bottle pumpkin... dehydrate it instead.)
also, you can use 2-qt jars for juice or storing dry stuff, like dehydrated foods.

also, it depends on your family's size and preferences.  I have heard of some families who only use quarts because of the size of the family.
we bottle over 100 jars of peaches each fall.  It usually lasts us until Sept comes again.  But we only bottled 18 half-pints of carrots 2 years ago; mostly for those times I am out of fresh carrots in the fridge (I think I will just do dehydrated next time though!!!!!  Easier to make and store)

oh, and yeah - load up on seals.  you cannot have too many of those.  seriously.  That way you have them when you need them.
Luckily, or unluckily, I live in a place where I can get canning supplies ALL year round.  :)  the unlucky part is that they never clearance them.  :(
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:27:53 AM by Morning Sunshine »

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:03:18 AM »
IF you were to feed your family only one jar a day (veggies, lets say) it would take 365 jars, or about 30 cases of jars.
Then there is canned meat, canned fruit, sauce, pickles and so on.  Because of the intense amount of space for the above, we are starting to do more and more dehydrating. Still though, 30 cases would be a minimum if you are planning on using your canning for self relient reasons post SHTF.
I also recommend at least 2 boxes of lids per case of jars to start out with. Each year, I add to mine supply. There may be a time when canning supplies are scarce. This next year, gardening looks to be a big boom, so people will be out grabbing the canning supplies. (JMO)

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
I have many jars.......but I can see I will need more! Wow, 365 days in a year, one jar each at least. Good points.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
Before I started this year's canning I started buying jars the fall before.  Almost every week for 7-8 months I bought one or two cases of jars at Wal-mart while they had them and then at Ace Hardware when Wal-mart quit carrying them for the winter (same prices about $10.00/case for quart jars).  So by the time I was ready to can I had enough jars with a few extra cases leftover to be stored.  Ace Hardware has several 20 percent off sales thru the year so I always go buy jars on sale and send DH too. I have also found jars at garage sales and my neighbors know I can and they give me the ones they find. So in answer to your question I don't think 500 jars is out of the question as I used about that many this year.  I say "Fill 'em up!" and I wish you blessings on a great garden and hope that you have a bounty enough to fill all 500.

Also another thought about canning jars - they will make good barter if needed as I think more people will be canning to survive and jars will become scarce.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 04:53:10 PM »
Before this year I probably only kept about 6-7 cases of mostly pint and half-pint jars. I used them primarily for canning jams and jellies, pickles and tomatoes. That was always enough to keep me going, although I found I gave so many away each year as gifts that I always needed more each summer. This year, I have bumped up the supply a great deal and probably have in the range of 25 cases... quarts, pints, half-pints, mostly. I am now using them not only for the canned things, but also for my dehydrated foods that aren't going into long-term storage. In the long run, I plan to expand on that even more and also make sure I have the proper place to store them with easy access. Bigger pantry... built in shelves are in the plans :)

I still give away homemade jams, etc. to neighbors and relatives (don't plan to let up on that), so will probably need to continue to get more each year as time goes on. I even have some family members who collect them up and return them! Imagine that!

This year my Mom got me about 5 cases of jars from a friend who was cleaning out her garage for very little... most were nice wide-mouth quart jars in very good shape!

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 08:13:57 PM »
Boy, I sure love wide mouth jars for reaching in to get things!

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »
Great topic! And great responses!

I had never thought about this before.

Keep it going.

TW

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »
I don't have that many (maybe 10 cases) but the best deal I've found is at the LDS cannery.  They are the thinner glass but I haven't had an issue with one yet.  Jars and lids have always been available.  BTW, I'm not LDS but they have made me welcome.  ;)

I don't can much but seem to use mine mostly for vacuum storage.  I prefer the wide mouth jars but got the vacuum seal adapter for the regular mouth jars so I can use both.

Offline CivilDefense

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 05:04:03 AM »
Garage sales are great places to buy jars.. so many people just getting rid of them for a song.

I have my mother pick up any that are reasonably cheap, sometimes you can score some antiques.

I dont like wide mouth as the extra square inches of the size of the lid seems to make them not "stick" as tight.

I mostly only use them for pickles.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 06:15:46 AM »
Bartsdad great kick in the pants thread....damnit!  I don't have enough!  Thanks to you and Herbal Pagan (thanks for perspective), I will go get a hole bunch more than I have. 

Thanks!  BP

Offline CivilDefense

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 06:30:42 AM »
heh, I just created this account, and was looking at all these <NEW> threads then noticed they are from july :P

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 07:00:47 AM »
 The best reply I can give is simple-all you can get.I dont think I've ever actually counted the jars we have, but I can rough estimate at around 300.  I'm always on the lookout for jars at yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores etc since we use so many. I generally pick up a pack or 2 of lids each time I go to the grocery store and stock them just like any other food item.  Because of all these jars and lids, we can more and more each year. This year has seen a big growth of us canning chicken soup and chili, along with diced potato's.  On days when I dont have much to so, a pot of soup is easy to make and can. It's a storage/prep item, it's one less thing I have to worry about if the freezaer/electric goes out, and it's just convienent to pop open a jar of soup and have a meal. Right now there are +/- 40 quarts of chicken soup in the pantry alone.
 Think of canning with the same view as you would any other food storage, and make sure your family will eat the things you can. I've known too many people that get into it, and go crazy, canning things they wouldn't normally eat just because they got a deal on jars and the beets were a good price. Figure out what you have acess to for canning, and whether or not its worth the time and energy to do it. If you grow your own, great, but if you have to buy produce, it may be less time consuming and cost effective to buy already in cans.
 Look beyond the vegetables, fruits, jellies, and soup. We've canned a lot of meat this year, and the meatloaf has been a big hit. I have older Ball Blue Books and Kerr books dating back to the 50's. These older ones have lots of great recipes that aren't in the newer ones.

Offline CivilDefense

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 07:06:23 AM »
We used to have some amish friends, the canned beef and canned bologna (amazing!).. Meatloaf sounds awesome.. I need to get a pressure canner again.

The beef veggie soup with barley she made was a thing to behold. Truly delicious.. The funny thing her kids (she had 8 ) treated that soup like it was the bottom of the barrel for what to eat.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 07:58:43 AM »
Such good ideas for canning! Yum. But wait, where in the world do you put 365 jars? Ok, I am definitely running out of room to store! I'll just have to tell my man, we needed more room for canning jars and he will have to sleep closer to me now! ha

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »
If you grow your own, great, but if you have to buy produce, it may be less time consuming and cost effective to buy already in cans.

cost/time effectiveness aside, even if it does cost MORE and take MORE time, sometimes the home canning is worth it anyway.  Case in point: my peaches that we do.
Have you ever been able to ind peaches canned in their own juice?  I never have.  But let me tell you the difference in taste is remarkable, and there is a good natured fight around here over who gets to drink the liquid from the peach jars when the peaches are gone.  And my kids have refused to eat peaches at other people's houses, even home-bottled peaches have made them turn up their noses.  Or not eat them at all.
the soup Dawgus was talking about.  It might not be as cost effective to make and bottle all that soup.  But he KNOWS what is in there.  and what is NOT in there ;)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 08:23:22 AM »
Such good ideas for canning! Yum. But wait, where in the world do you put 365 jars? Ok, I am definitely running out of room to store! I'll just have to tell my man, we needed more room for canning jars and he will have to sleep closer to me now! ha

first, keep the boxes in which the bottles came.  the older boxes that have tops and cardboard jar-separator work best.  About 5 years ago they switched to just box bottoms that don't work for storage so well.
my second choice is boxes that used to hold 6 #10 cans.  I get mine from the LDS canneries.  these will hold 15 quart jars, and you can use cereal boxes (thin cardboard) to make the separators.

This way you can stack the boxes, and they are not so prone to an accidental nudge knocking off a bottle of soup.  I label the fronts of my boxes with the date and contents "Peaches, '09" and try to have only one item in each box.  If I need to have more than one item, it says "6-Peaches, '09; 4-Pear, '09; 2-Apricot, '09" so that I can see at a glance what is in the boxes.  Also, I try to have a place to empty the boxes for easy grabbing.  So I have space for 12 peaches on the shelf, and when those 12 are gone, I empty another peach box into that space.  Make sense?

I had another thought on this too, but it took me so long to type this much out that I have forgotten what else I was going to say!   ::)

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 09:14:08 AM »
first, keep the boxes in which the bottles came.  the older boxes that have tops and cardboard jar-separator work best.  About 5 years ago they switched to just box bottoms that don't work for storage so well.
my second choice is boxes that used to hold 6 #10 cans.  I get mine from the LDS canneries.  these will hold 15 quart jars, and you can use cereal boxes (thin cardboard) to make the separators.
Pick up empty boxes from a liquor store. They are sturdy boxes with dividers.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
Anyone feeling the need to catch up FAST can do so here, by the pallet:  

http://www.goodmans.net/search.asp?c=CASES%2E

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »

I had another thought on this too, but it took me so long to type this much out that I have forgotten what else I was going to say!   ::)

Ok, I am writing this down, it is so important. Now, if you can remember what you wanted to say........please tell us.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »
Anyone feeling the need to catch up FAST can do so here, by the pallet:  

http://www.goodmans.net/search.asp?c=CASES%2E

Interesting.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »
We used to have some amish friends, the canned beef and canned bologna (amazing!).. Meatloaf sounds awesome.. I need to get a pressure canner again.

The beef veggie soup with barley she made was a thing to behold. Truly delicious.. The funny thing her kids (she had 8 ) treated that soup like it was the bottom of the barrel for what to eat.
CivilDefense, I use to meet different Amish, but never talked about their canning! Could you tell us more about their canning before this thread disappears. Thanks. I just know, that when cooking, I should be canning the remainder that I cook. So that the cycle of cooking gets used in canning, to save and utilize time properly.

Offline CivilDefense

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 03:56:10 PM »
Well the canning process was a thing to behold. It was a bit of a family affair, my brother in law (english) got involved too.. they would slaughter a cow get it up into the rafters of the barn, my brother in law had a cordless reciprocating saw that would do most of the major dissasembly. The fat and stuff would be melted down outside. for beef they would usually make chips or fries in the hot beef fat! or cracklin if it was a pig.

They had an lawnmower engine powered beef grinder and quite alot of the beef went right in there. they canned alot of beef in what i believe was mostly salt wate using multiple pressure canners, she had two kerosene stoves for the most part. they really only seemed to keep the tbone steaks. Its kind of funny, but my brother in law had an extra freezer they would keep in the garage at his place. so they would sorta come and go and keep the steaks in there in exchange for steaks. Its funny how those ok as long as its my BROTHER storing the beef. :P they would have a fury of canning, hundreds and hundreds of cans of mostly ground beef in cans, I think mostly they would do this because the need to get it preserved as fast as you could. They also made quite a ton of stock with the bones, they had a vegetable garden. probably 1/2 acre? it seemed small to me, where almost all of the veggies for vegetable soup would go into making veggie beef soup. I think in this way if they had the bones in for stock they could delay the processing for a day or so as the  stock simmered. While that was going on they would can the beef. It was quite stunning how much canned beef they made. IT was really good, its scary to look at but you just pour it into a sauce pan, put in a roux and man i made the best beef gravy, for potatoes or whatnot. They did sell alot of the ground beef to some of the english friends, i remember it being really really fine grind, as compared to from the store, it was fattier and quite a bit finer, and they simply jammed quart size freezer bags then put them in my brothers freezer or delivered them to whomever was buying them. It tasted great but I have made my own ground beef with a grinder and it never seemed to be this fine. Im not sure if it was for ease of canning or what exactly?

The pork they made mostly in a similar fashion but its significantly less meat, although their hogs were ENORMOUS docile things. they used to go to the bakery thrift store and buy the entire racks of past expiry date "for animal consumption" and if anything was green it went to the hogs or the chickens (they ate the rest, they strangely ate way more store bread than i figured).. Those pigs would go nuts for stale donuts, it was deafening. Pork was also canned they made sort of.. sausage patties, very mild, and molded them into sort of patties and canned them that way in a  brine. I would guess it was brine instead of a stock. They mostly seemed to keep chops and ground pork, this i would say they seemed to freeze a bit more. I used to add sage, maple and cumin and make some really awesome breakfast sausage.

have to go.. back later.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »
Ok civildefense. Man, I felt like I was reading a good book and wanted to read all of it. Wow! Thank you so much!

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »
A few tips:

8 boxes of jars will fit under a bed easily for storage.

if you can't get jars shipped or pick up jars from a whole saler, try your local farm store (Agway). The manager at many will make a deal for money off the price if you get a big lot (usually has to be about half a pallet)

Get large address labels (a big box at Staples) and use them to stick on the front of the box, then it's neat but you can also put another one over it the next year. These are also handy for tubs and buckets.

make sure you pick up two boxes of lids for each case you buy. This gives you three years worth of lids.

picking up jars at yard sales is great, but if gardening takes off big time (like I think), canning supplies will be in short supply and those yard sale finds will become less and less.

I recommend that you pick up a pressure canner now. They can be found at Wally World for well under $100. That way, you can take advantage of meat sales this winter as well as any game you are lucky enough to catch.

Offline CivilDefense

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »
Ok civildefense. Man, I felt like I was reading a good book and wanted to read all of it. Wow! Thank you so much!

Sorry was one of those string of consiousness things.. I was sorta dumping my brain on paper during my break at work.

It was a very cool thing spending a little time in their house.. They actually had one of those big ice house "freezers" at the side of the house.. I didnt get as much chance to study it as i would like, but basically.. this was the dead of summer. It was insulated, apparently with straw, and the floor was wooden boards, now there was no ice left but it appeared that they put the ice below, and i am guessing the floor level changed? Has anyone ever seen one of these at work it was quite interesting.

They had kerosene fridge for most food storage, but for the size of the family the freezer was TINY.. couple gallons of ice cream kinda thing. I am suspecting that they ice house really went the way of the dodo, but they kept it just in case. you just cant store meat like you can in a modern freezer.

When we parted companies, two things i recall. They were just allowed by the church/community to have gasoline lawnmowers.. Now this must have been christmas for the honda dealer because you never saw so many brandy new honda lawnmowers being pushed around by women in long skirts!

They were in process of setting up a pneumatic water system for the house. i am pretty sure it was hooked onto a windmill, but i would really be surprised if that did most of it, I gathered it pneumatically somehow pressurized the well head to push water into the house (mostly i am gathering in the kitchen) I wish I could have seen it working.

Mary also made pretty good money selling of all things rhubarb. holy hell did she grow a ton or rhubarb, all along the fence lines would be about a meter or two strips of rhubarb going forever down the fence lines.
(I keep remembering things as i type)

Another was a good way to store and use your eggs. Every once in a while AP flour would go on sale, like 99 cents a bag or the like.. They would buy 100lbs at a time and make a BOATLOAD of Klutski noodles, these would be dried, and would probably store for a very long time, eaten with just some chicken stock.. Also probably good as it would take minimal heat to cook and prepare these. This is one of the advantages to having community like that, two ingredients, very cheap, near free, with a huge source of labor, could store a ton of food.

The other thing i recall  was that they had maybe a hundred chickens that would always go around wintertime, and it always struck me as odd, being they had so many kids, they almost always skinned all of the chickens, not plucked, I never really asked why.. Wonder why that is, Im assuming of course its way easier to do than to pluck, and if you are canning, there is probably a whole lot of fat in the skin.. oh well, some things you just have to wonder.

BTW the gasoline powered washing machines looked cool, basically your grandmas old washing machine, you dragged it in the door yard and washed your clothes, ran them through the mangle and hung them up on the line..

EDIT: OH.. one more thing.. They always.. Always used lids at least twice. .now i know they are cheap as hell at the dollar store, but man my friends would tell me, no friggin way, you absolutely cant do it. But hey, Im sure Mary forgot more about canning than they would ever know, and she did it. Maybe its the kind of thing you can look at a lid and see if it would work. I however probably would just drop the dollar and use new, but in the SHTF scenario, if you gently remove.. who knows.. might be an interesting experiment.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:12:13 PM by CivilDefense »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 09:11:05 PM »
I don't have that many (maybe 10 cases) but the best deal I've found is at the LDS cannery.  They are the thinner glass but I haven't had an issue with one yet.  Jars and lids have always been available.  BTW, I'm not LDS but they have made me welcome.  ;)

When I went to the DFW warehouse, I don't recall seeing jars and lids on the list of things available... do you have to ask for them? Or maybe they don't sell them anymore? Just wondering...

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »
They seem to be available every time I go in.  However, I normally don't go in much during the winter.  I suspect that they are probably seasonal.  They are on the wet pack price sheet.  Here's what mine says:

1459 CAP RING, LID (BOX OF 12)  $2.36
1460 LID, FLAT BOTTLING (BOX OF 12)  $0.99
1454 ARK, PINT JARS / THINER GLASS (BOX OF 12)  $2.88
1458 ARK, QUART JARS / THINER GLASS (BOX OF 12  $4.68