Author Topic: Ammo Compatibility: What can replace the 30-30 winchester?  (Read 24499 times)

Offline longhaul

• Prepper
Ammo Compatibility: What can replace the 30-30 winchester?
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:34:31 AM »
Hi Folks,
My apologies if this is has already been discussed or is obvious - I searched the Net and here but can't seem to find confirmation of what I can buy instead of 30-30 winchester rounds for my lever action rifle that is cheaper.   
I am new to guns (as you can tell) and am looking to get economical ammo for my 30-30 lever action.  Is 7.62 x 39 compatible?  Also, the "30 carbine" rounds seem cheaper and seem to indicate the same diameter.

Thanks for any input.  If anyone knows of a chart showing cartridge compatibility that would be awesome as well - I've looked all around on the net and can't find one.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
Re: Ammo Compatibility: What can replace the 30-30 winchester?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:46:18 AM »
If your rifle is chambered in 30-30, that is all it can shoot!

7.62x 39 is not near the same cartridge, and neither is 30 Carbine.
30-30 is one of the cheapest things to buy off the shelf here, but if you are wanting to shoot it cheaper, learn to reload the ammo.
Reloading will allow you to make ammo much cheaper than buying it off the shelf, and your loads will usually be better than factory ammo, too.

RipT

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »
Yes longhaul it is VERY important that you only use the caliber ammo that is stamped on the barrel of the firearm.  Using ANYTHING else will at best get you injured.

Shop around for the best deals or like rip mentioned, learn to reload.

Your question also points out that not only being new to guns, you are ignorant (meaning uninformed or lacking knowledge of)  firearms in general.  I would strongly recomend taking a firearm safety course and learn as much as possible about the subject. You might start by going to your states game commission (or whatever they call your hunting and fishing regulatory body) and take the hunter safety course they almost certainly offer.

You can check out the NRA for local training classes.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

One of the most dangerous things to you and those around you is handling a firearm when you are not completely safe while doing so.  If you are not sure how to be safe...put the gun down and step away.  Get some training.

The best of luck to you.

Offline longhaul

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »
Thanks folks...
Here 30-30 is 19 to 23 bucks or so for 20 rounds.  Seems more expensive than many other calibers...
Where does one find them cheaper? Wally world seems to be about similar ...

Justinicus

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »
Thanks folks...
Here 30-30 is 19 to 23 bucks or so for 20 rounds.  Seems more expensive than many other calibers...
Where does one find them cheaper? Wally world seems to be about similar ...

Online. I buy all my ammo online.  Well, lately I don't buy much at all.  There's something of a shortage if you haven't heard... something about Obama and the makeup of Congress has us gun-owners nervous.  Supposedly the supply lines are filling back in, but all my local ammo shelves are still bare and all my usual online suppliers are either backordered or... well, let's just say they're charging what the market will bear. 

The places I circle (like a vulture) online are MidwayUSA.com, AmmoMan.com, and (less so, nowadays) CheaperThanDirt.com.  Cabelas.com has been good to me with backorders... they haven't raised their prices like CTD, but CTD has some to deliver.  Cabelas will put me on back order for a while, months, usually, but they always come through in the end.  There are a couple states/localities that prohibit mail-order ammo, but they're generally no surprise.  For example, I don't think you can buy your .30-30 ammo online in Chicago.  All ammo has been hard to come by lately, and the prices are higher than usual. Oh, one more thing... Ammo is heavy.  Shipping isn't usually cheap.

But the other guys are dead-on -- there's way more to a cartridge than its caliber.  That's just the diameter of the bullet.  It might fit in the barrel, but that's not all there is to accuracy, let alone safe, reliable function.  Use the wrong stuff and even if you manage to hit what you're aiming at, you're likely to blow up the gun (into your hands and face) eventually.

Best of luck!

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »
Last time I bought 30-30 at Walmart, it was 9 and change for 20 rounds of Remington. I reload it now, so havent bought any in a while. I think it was around 12-14.00 last time I looked.

23.00 seems very high.
RipT

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »
Last time I bought 30-30 at Walmart, it was 9 and change for 20 rounds of Remington. I reload it now, so havent bought any in a while. I think it was around 12-14.00 last time I looked.

23.00 seems very high.
RipT

same here, I got the silver tips for 9.84

Offline Plainsman

• Prepper
    • Plainsman's Cabin
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 04:46:25 PM »
Even .30-30 ammo has gotten ridiculous since Obama got in.  The last box I looked at was $12-$13 for 20 rounds! Nuts!  The last time I bought .30-30 ammo was about 20 years ago and paid about $8 for 30 rounds!! :o

Since then, I've gotten into reloading and reload for EVERYTHING short of defensive ammo.  I buy a few boxes of .44Special and 12/20ga's for that.

With ammo prices the way they are, it's to everybody's benefit to get into reloading!

Justinicus

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 07:18:17 AM »
I dunno... everyone keeps saying you can reload to save money, but I've looked into it a bit, and the math doesn't seem to work out.  I shoot .45ACP mostly, and the bullets themselves, as cheap as I can find them listed in the catalogs, seem just a hair cheaper per round than the cheapest loaded ammo I can get from PMC, Wolf, etc., and that's not counting powder and primers, let alone brass.  With brass, it looks like I'd be paying a heck of a lot more than cheapo manufactured stuff, so you'd have to reuse the heck out of it to catch up.  Am I just a bad shopper, is .45ACP not a cost-effective round to reload, or is the money savings not all it's cracked up to be?

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 10:03:59 AM »
I dunno... everyone keeps saying you can reload to save money, but I've looked into it a bit, and the math doesn't seem to work out.  I shoot .45ACP mostly, and the bullets themselves, as cheap as I can find them listed in the catalogs, seem just a hair cheaper per round than the cheapest loaded ammo I can get from PMC, Wolf, etc., and that's not counting powder and primers, let alone brass.  With brass, it looks like I'd be paying a heck of a lot more than cheapo manufactured stuff, so you'd have to reuse the heck out of it to catch up.  Am I just a bad shopper, is .45ACP not a cost-effective round to reload, or is the money savings not all it's cracked up to be?

A little historical perspective here may be helpful. Back in the olden days, all handgun ammunition sales had to be entered in a bound book by the dealer. So, that limited purchasing choices. Also, the major reloading equipment and component manufacturers mostly came about in the 1950's and 1960's, often times using war surplus equipment or components, e.g., Hodgdon started selling surplus powder.

So, for the first couple decades after WWII, you were pretty limited to what the local dealer sold.  Local dealers often times did not have the financial resources for extensive inventory, and even if they did, manufacturers were few and produced limited offerings. For instance, .30-30 was either Winchester or Remington, and either 150 HP or 170 soft point. The reloading equipment and component manufacturers had a strong argument for the economic benefits of reloading.

Then several things happened coming into the 1980's and 1990's. The bound book requirement for ammo sales was ended. Foreign manufactured ammo came flooding into the US. Domestic manufacturers increased substantially as well as the overall product lines. Shooters started buying and shooting ammo in case lot quantities. Remanufacturers also came along like Black Hills. Add in internet shopping and interstate shipping, it is a new ball game after year 2000.

For just shooting ammo, you probably cannot economically reload military cartridges (.308, 9mm. .45 ACP), especially when you add in the value of your time.

The economics of reloading also have to consider apples to apples comparisons. One probably cannot purchase Gold Dot bullets, powder and primers to reload for less than loaded Wolf ammo.  On the other hand, when loaded, the Gold Dot bullet is higher quality than the Wolf FMJ.

I think also that the component manufacturers view reloading as a past time in itself. They have increased the price of components to the point where there is no clear cost advantage.

In conclusion, 20 or 30 years ago, you could reload for one quarter to one third the cost of factory. Today, it is nearly a break even proposition. Whether it is .30-30 170gr soft points, or 9mm 115gr FMJ, reloads and factory are going to be about the same cost.

You can reload to make something that is not commercially available. For example, I shot bullseye matches. There is no commercial .45 ACP 185gr lead SWC that came close to my reloads cost-wise, and Federal Gold Cup match ammo is too expensive.

You can also benefit from reloading ammo for the bolt gun by necksizing and adjusting bullet seating depth in ways that factory ammo cannot.

Bottom line is that that the blanket statement that "I save money by reloading" is likely no longer true across the board. On a particular cartridge or particular load, you may save some money. In other instances, reloading may cost more but you get benefits you cannot buy.

If one is only getting into reloading to save money, do your firearm, face and fingers a favor and stay with factory fodder. Save money somewhere else. If one is getting into to reloading for the sake of reloading itself and to expand one's knowledge and understanding of firearms, by all means do it, recognizing that it will be a labor of love.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 02:54:24 PM »
In addition to the above post keep in mind that even the best commercial ammo has specs that can be improved by hand loading.  Bullets vary in weight, powder charges from big bulk machines are not exact.

By reloading you can weigh your bullets and make lots of very close weight bullets.  You can make sure your powder loads are as close as possible and your cases are matched to the firearm being used. As well as seating your bullets to gain the best performance from a specific gun.

Will that make a big difference loading for your .45?  Not so much, but it can make a big difference in accuracy for rounds loaded for long range rifle shooting. 

endurance

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:03:46 AM »
Even .30-30 ammo has gotten ridiculous since Obama got in.  The last box I looked at was $12-$13 for 20 rounds! Nuts!  The last time I bought .30-30 ammo was about 20 years ago and paid about $8 for 30 rounds!! :o
.30-30 ammo
20 years ago - $0.27/round
Today - $0.65/round ($13/20 you quoted)
240% increase

Gasoline
20 years ago - $1.19/gallon
Today - $2.60/gallon
218% increase

Silver
20 years ago - $4.85/oz.
Today - $17.14/oz.
353% increase

Not to say that the price of ammo hasn't gone up, but relative to other commodities, it's not disproportionate.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »
But. . .but. . .there is no inflation!!

Swear!

Swear!

The Professor

Offline longhaul

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 07:06:09 AM »
Yeah, Vermont is stupid expensive, 30-30 Remington at various shops here is 19 to 24 bucks/box of 20. 
Cost of living here is about that twice what it is elsewhere.  Blows.
Thanks for the input folks.
I am taking a training course, too, by the way...

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 07:13:59 PM »
Here is a break down of what it currently costs me to make a box of 45 acp (50 count) assuming I don't need to buy my brass.

Bullet .11, primer .04, and powder .02 = .17 ($8.50 for box of 50)  I can't find many boxes of 45 acp for $8.50 and as much as I shoot I've already paid for my press and other hardware.  Also I like to use Hornady TAP 55 gr for my AR.  Again, assuming I have the brass I can duplicate those rounds for $6.20 (box of 20).  They go for around $16 new, if you can find them. 

It's still economical to reload and also very enjoyable.

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 06:02:51 AM »
Here is a break down of what it currently costs me to make a box of 45 acp (50 count) assuming I don't need to buy my brass.

Bullet .11, primer .04, and powder .02 = .17 ($8.50 for box of 50)  I can't find many boxes of 45 acp for $8.50 and as much as I shoot...
It's still economical to reload and also very enjoyable.

I'll second what Duc1 said about 45... bullets are what will cost the most, but if you go for lead or lead plated in bulk, you'll save in the long run...  I've been dreaming about casting my own, but then you have to think about what your time is worth...

But so far they haven't figured out how to tax me on spending my valuable time to save myself $$$$!

~CRCJ

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »
I dont know, CRCJ.
Sunday I sat down for about 2 hours, and cast up more than 500 45rnfp bullets using a Lee 6 cavity mold. And that was taking a few 5 minute breaks to add lead and let it heat up again. Once you get in the groove, and have a good mold, it doesnt seem to take that long. It would take me longer to lube them and size them if I was not using the liquid alox on these.
As for reloading the 30-30, I also ended up going the way of homecast lead bullets, which will make the cost to reload for 30-30 VERY cheap.
RipT

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »
I dont know, CRCJ...

Let me clarify... I think that the cheapest way to go, in terms of money... assuming you shoot enough to make it pay in the long run... is to cast your own and to reload- exactly what you are doing.  Because while it is enjoyable and you can create your own loads that are more accurate, if even the cheapest re-loads did cost more than store bought, you probably wouldn't do it.

~CRCJ

ps- you spent 2 hrs to save who knows how much $ by casting your own.  If you would have bought bullets instead of casting them, you would have paid some sort of tax somewhere, just by purchasing the product.  That was my thought on taxes...

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 03:34:50 PM »
Well the last time I bought cast .45s, which was a box of 500 laser cast rnfp (pretty much the same bullet), I think it was 40-45 bucks.
My Midway catalog now shows that same box to be 59.99.
So that 2 hours saved me 60 bucks of cash plus going to store 30 minutes away (or on shipping), and taxes (4.20 here).

The loaded ammo that I shoot, 45 Colt and 45 Schofield, is darn expensive for a box of 50. In a typical match, we will use 240-250 rounds between my wife and I. The 45 Colts run 35.00 a box and the Schofields run 36.00 a box. Thats 177.00 using 35.50 as a base price for the average of the two prices.
And, during the shooting season, we are shooting 2 sometimes 3 matches a month. 531.00 a month.

Those costs mean that I HAVE to cast and reload my own, or I just cant do it unless I switched to a cheaper/smaller caliber.

RipT

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 03:46:29 PM »
Well the last time I bought cast .45s, which was a box of 500 laser cast rnfp (pretty much the same bullet), I think it was 40-45 bucks.
My Midway catalog now shows that same box to be 59.99.
So that 2 hours saved me 60 bucks of cash plus going to store 30 minutes away (or on shipping), and taxes (4.20 here).

The loaded ammo that I shoot, 45 Colt and 45 Schofield, is darn expensive for a box of 50. In a typical match, we will use 240-250 rounds between my wife and I. The 45 Colts run 35.00 a box and the Schofields run 36.00 a box. Thats 177.00 using 35.50 as a base price for the average of the two prices.
And, during the shooting season, we are shooting 2 sometimes 3 matches a month. 531.00 a month.

Those costs mean that I HAVE to cast and reload my own, or I just cant do it unless I switched to a cheaper/smaller caliber.

RipT

Wow... I wish I could shoot that much  ;D  Once I get a job, I'll have plenty to work towards ;D

Offline r1kk1

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »
I know the math does not seem to work out but. . .

I average 233 rounds of hunting rounds out of a pound of powder. Around 19.00/lb.
100 primers cost me 23.99/1000
bullets are cast from a mould that cost me 50.00 plus a cast iron pot, turkey burner I already had.
Lead was 35.00/50 lbs on ebay shipped to me and will cast a little over 2058 bullets
Brass was 16.00/100

total cost per round is 0.28 cents. That's twenty-eight cents a round for deer hunting pushing a 170 grainer at around 2000 fps on my chronograph. A box of 20 would be about $5.60. This is for my .32 Winchester Special that is nothing more than a necked up 30-30. I also load lighter bullets from old custom moulds for this caliber a light charge and successfully took pheasant, rabbit and varmints around the camp. Plus my .32 has been shot 1000s of times at the range, field, and on the farm over the years. I love the 30-30 cartridge and all of its siblings/variants.

Reloading works,

r1kk1

endurance

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »
I'm not saying it never works, but that's not a full accounting of your costs.  How much did you pay for your press?  How much did you pay for your dies?  How many rounds per hour can you produce?  How much do you figure your time is worth?

I used to reload and I'm planning on getting back into it for certain calibers, but for others, it's just not worth my time compared to finding cheap ammo to shoot up.  Obviously YMMV

Offline r1kk1

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »
I'm not saying it never works, but that's not a full accounting of your costs.  How much did you pay for your press?  How much did you pay for your dies?  How many rounds per hour can you produce?  How much do you figure your time is worth?

I used to reload and I'm planning on getting back into it for certain calibers, but for others, it's just not worth my time compared to finding cheap ammo to shoot up.  Obviously YMMV

I understand that. In certain calibers you are correct. My equipment costs I have never figured in the equation. Probably for the same reason why I don't figure my tool set cost in for working on my car, or the tools that I have acquired to build my house. My reloading equipment varies in age from some of it over 50 years old (older than me, just) to some recent dies or doodads or geegaws. My progressive press cost around 200 in the 80s. My single stage was 5.00 at a yard sale in the 70s. How many rounds an hour is dependent on cartridge, some I can load at 250/hr others like bottleneck pistol load 125/hr. With the single stage hand press, I can sit around a tent after a hunt and load a box or two in an hour. There are websites to figure reloading equipment cost in. Except for time.

How much do I figure my time is worth?

To be honest, I have never figured that out. I have never written myself a check for any hobby or lifestyle choice. For instance growing a garden, or for doing the brakes on the truck, or for building this house or the next, or for hunting or fishing. A side note, my father-in-law just about had kittens when he seen the invoice for some hardwood that I purchased to build some kitchen cabinets for myself. I smiled as he reminded me that my time was worth something and IKEA has cabinets reasonably priced. I smiled again as I proceeded to cut some dovetail joints for the drawers.

I'm not being argumentative. I guess there is a math application layer to figure time costs into just about everything we do.

Take care,

r1kk1

endurance

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:24 AM »
Yep, I agree with your points for the most part; if it's time that adds to your life, then there's no point in calculating a value on your time.  My only point was that if you're a busy person who barely has the time to get to the range, then reloading might not be the right choice.  On the other hand, if you have a passion for shooting, would like a new indoor hobby that gives you quiet time where you can focus on just doing one thing right, then it might be a worthy addition.

As for the costs, you've done the wise thing and gotten into it over time.  Too many folks want an excuse to buy a lot of shiny things with the justification that it'll save them money.  That's when you really need to calculate in all the actual costs.

Offline jbm555

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 11:24:38 AM »

These are all very valid questions.  I try to look at it from an economics 101 stand point on the equipment.  It's not the fixed costs that matter (press, dies, scales) it's the variable costs (bullets, powder, primers, etc).  If you pay $100 for a press and load one round then that's a very expensive bullet.  If you load 10K rounds that's a penny a round.  20K is half a penny a round.  I've never seen a press wear out, even ones that were old, neglected and abused (but I'm sure it's possible)  So, while you'll never get to $0.00 per round you will keep getting closer.  Same goes for most other reloading equipment.  I've never wore out dies (and some of them were used when I got them), scales or calipers either. 

Rounds per hour? I don't know I reload by a batch method on a single stage press and during the winter I can reload more than I shoot. My kids and nephews  help me get rid of the rest.  I don't set still very well so I don't watch much TV.  I usually turn on the radio and start resizing, priming etc.  To me it's a way to do nothing while I'm doing something. 

Value of my time?  For me I consider it being proactive and productive.  Some may not and that's fine too.  I don't factor in my time on my garden, house repairs or car repair and maintenance that I do for myself.  I figure I'm working for me and since I love me very much and my time is the most valuable thing I have to give I don't assign a dollar value to it.  If it's not worth your time or if your time would be better spent doing something else then by all means do it!  What ever it is.  If you have kids that like to shoot then get them involved in your reloading.  My daughter usually resizes all straight walled cases for me.  Not much lubing necessary and it's a really straight forward process.  It allows them to "earn their keep" so to speak and they are a little more conservative with their ammo when shooting since they have a little "sweat equity" involved in the ammo they're shooting. 

I do most of my reloading in the winter, from about the second week of December through mid to late March.  The weather is lousy, deer season is over with and there's not much gardening to do.  So, I figure I'm using up a time of the year that I don't particularly enjoy anyway. 

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 01:06:34 PM »
Also, I really like reloading. Like with gardening, if you want a few peppers and onions it's cheaper in the short run just to buy them for a couple of bucks. If you want alot of veggies you're better off to have a garden. Now, if you enjoy gardening too, all the better.
You save more money in some calibers than you do with others.
My match ammo for my M1a would break me if I had to buy it. I can load it myself way cheaper.
If I wasn't picky about the components, I could load my 308 for even less.
I do handload for my 30-30s, and it's still cheaper than buying the ammo at Wal-Mart.
The bullet itself is a little pricey because it's a "flat point" and isn't as common as some .308" projectiles. All the other components I have already because I use them in other calibers.

Offline dicko

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 04:11:32 PM »
Hi Folks,
My apologies if this is has already been discussed or is obvious - I searched the Net and here but can't seem to find confirmation of what I can buy instead of 30-30 winchester rounds for my lever action rifle that is cheaper.   
I am new to guns (as you can tell) and am looking to get economical ammo for my 30-30 lever action.  Is 7.62 x 39 compatible?  Also, the "30 carbine" rounds seem cheaper and seem to indicate the same diameter.

Thanks for any input.  If anyone knows of a chart showing cartridge compatibility that would be awesome as well - I've looked all around on the net and can't find one.

This shows complete ignorance of how ammunition works.   That is not a criticism, we all start out in that position.    But before you do anything else, buy a good reloading manual like the Speer, with cartridge dimensions and study it.   Then find somebody really knowledgeable to show you the ropes.   It will be well worth the effort.   Best of luck.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
The specifics for the 30-30 round require certain features in order to be used safely.

7.62x39 have "pointed" bullets that could cause discharge of the bullet in front of the "pointy" one inside the tubular mag.  ALL 30-30 projectiles (except Hornady's LeveRevolution polymer tipped) are flat nosed.  30 Carbine is a diferent animal altogether...

There is not much you can do for alternative projectiles for 30-30.

I bought a mold to make my own 30-30 projectiles if the SHTF, and also to add to my selection. 

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »
This shows complete ignorance of how ammunition works.   That is not a criticism, we all start out in that position.    But before you do anything else, buy a good reloading manual like the Speer, with cartridge dimensions and study it.   Then find somebody really knowledgeable to show you the ropes.   It will be well worth the effort.   Best of luck.

Wow... kinda harsh if you ask me.  Besides, the original quote said nothing about reloading... and there are a lot of 30 caliber rounds out there.  Just because the guy is new doesn't mean you need to point out his ignorance.  You could simply say that "Its a horrible idea to put anything aside from 30-30 rounds into a 30-30." 

But I myself am willing to go out on a limb here and show my ignorance because I'm under the impression that is the only safe way to go.  Maybe because I have used a lever gun I always accepted it that way... or maybe I'm paying too much. 

However you look at it, I'm not afraid when I pull the trigger because what is in the chamber matches what is on the side of the barrel.
~CRCJ

PS- When I progress from pistol to rifle re-loading, maybe I'll be able to appreciate all the commentaries here more.