Author Topic: Storage methods without using a safe??  (Read 3092 times)

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
Storage methods without using a safe??
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:21:29 PM »
Gents, I have several gun safes, and happen to have more guns than safe room. I have some semi-portable gun racks filled up, and have several corners also piled up with boomsticks.  Most of mine are not high value type guns, and those DO stay in the safes, but storage is just a bear.
My question, is how many of you are in the same situation? What have you done to alleviate the issue?
Do you have non traditional storage, ie. inside the bathroom wall right near the medicine cabinet? PVC pipe in the attic?
Did you build your storage, or just buy more safes?
I dont like the glass fronted gun cases, for the obvious reason of being able to be broken into, but stacked in the corner is not any better. My plan is to install some very heavy duty cabinets, lockable of course, and build gun racks into them. I have a spot in my reloading room, I can actually build it into the wall, so am contemplating that as well.
What would/have you done?
Rip

John Q Public

Re: Storage methods without using a safe??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »
Well, I'll respond first with the most obvious answer.....

I have plenty of room. Ship them to me and I'll store them for you.  :D

Now that that is out of the way, I have seen some interesting solutions for firearms storage.

I like the idea of building a set of cabinets that you mentioned. Additionally, I can see some real value in building storage areas between the studs of certain rooms. It would be fairly simple to do and easy to conceal if that is your goal.

Most homes are built with their studs set on 16 inch centers that gives you a TON of room if you look around the house and realize that most inside walls are not insulated.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:48:10 PM »
Concealment is not the main issue, but would be a bonus. If you cant see it, you cant steal it has always been a thought.
BTW, I sent you part of mine already. Must have been lost in the mail.  ;)
Rip

John Q Public

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:58:10 PM »
I have been kicking around the idea of building small "storage nooks" between the studs in a few places in my house. I was thinking of building a small shelving unit that could be finished out nicely and slid between the studs (like the way a medicine cabinet is installed). I think the idea of building something like that for stoage would be a great idea.....Out of sight, easy to get to if it was necessary.

I just went to check the mail and the front porch.....No packages from you, yet. I'll look again tomorrow.  ;D

Earth Monk

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:18:28 AM »
Greetings JQP,

I like the idea of concealment between studs in the wall. You can harden this proposition by running a cable thought the studs on opposing sides and using a separate, opposite side of the wall location to place the hardened high security lock in another concealed box. If your capable of building a concealed box/cabinet in the first place, the second smaller lock box location should be a cinch. For example, many homes have interlocking closets between the bedrooms. Site the gun cabinet in one closet and the cable lock box in the other room's closet on the opposite side of the wall. I have to presume these weapons would not be situated for a quick response use as it would be tedious to unlock and retrieve the firearm. To up the ante, build a hidden front by fabricating a bookcase on a piano hinge to conceal the cabinet face.

Good Luck,
-Ras

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 03:40:36 AM »
The firearms that I don't have space for are all inexpensive bolt guns so the bolt comes out of the rifle and goes into the safe. A rifle without the bolt is inert and has no value to most theifs and the bolts are all locked up

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 07:39:40 AM »
That is a good suggestion Dan. I also do that, and when they all did fit in the safes I have, I put the bolts in a separate pistol safe.
Rip

kaiservontexas

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:34:02 AM »
I liked what Sara Conner did in the pilot episode. She used paper and paint on one area of the wall to have a "in case of emergency" reach here for shotgun spot. Nobody would think anything but wall was there, but instead sat a nice riot 12. I think it is a great idea and often think about doing something similar.

I agree pull the bolt and lock the bolts up.

You could always save pennies up until you can afford a 100 gun safe? I know one day I will have to purchase something like it.