Author Topic: Pregnancy  (Read 5869 times)

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
Pregnancy
« on: December 24, 2009, 06:50:19 AM »
This isn't a survival topic per se, except in the sense of the ultimate survival of the species, but K and I are looking at trying for a baby next year, and I am looking for good sources of info on fertility and such. Does anyone have any recommendations? I thought my fellow lady survivors might have some.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:21:28 AM »
http://www.familyplanning.net/

I like this method.  By following it, we planned exactly when to get pregnant with our 4th.  And he was born in the month I wanted :) (spread out the birthdays a bit ;)

amanadoo

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 07:44:57 AM »
What kind of information are you looking for? ....how to GET pregnant, what to do when you're pregnant....? The first book that springs to mind is The Cavemans Guide to Pregnancy, but that would be for the expectant father. It's pretty funny, and helped my huz ease his nerves a bit. The thing that helped me the most with my first pregnancy was reading blogs by people going through what I was going through, in real time (or almost). Please let us know if you think of any specific questions though!

http://www.amazon.com/Cavemans-Pregnancy-Companion-Survival-Expectant/dp/140273526X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261665525&sr=1-1

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »
Thanks for the site.
Information on getting pregnant would be great. I'm doing my own research of course, but more info is always welcome. We're dealing with some comparatively minor fertility issues, so any help would be great.
Thanks!

Offline Mel

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:58:36 PM »
My wife and I have a 1-year-old.  You should absolutely get the book "On Becoming Baby-Wise."  It is a survival manual for newborns and it made our life so much easier than it could have been.  The other classic for pregnant mom's is "What to Expect When You're Expecting."  Have fun.

Mel

amanadoo

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 06:16:26 AM »
I believe that the common advice now is to figure our when you're ovulating, and just get biblical like rabbits around that general time period. It used to be that the people "in the know" wanted you to be very very precise and not waste any sperm, so to speak, unless everything was just so (temperature, pH, etc...). Of course, depending on how long it takes you to get pregnant, you may end up wanting to do that down the line any way.

From what I gather, though, it's imperative that you actually "read" your bodies signals to find out when you are ovulating (mucous, etc), instead of just counting the days from your period. Everyone is different, and not all bodies run on a strict 28-day cycle.

I was thinking about you last night, actually, because a friend and I were talking about the pluses and minuses of planning to have a child and getting pregnant unexpectedly. My biggest regret with getting knocked up without planning it, was that I wish I'd had the opportunity to evaluate my diet thoroughly BEFORE changes had to take place, know what I mean? I drank a cup of coffee every day through both of my pregnancies, and all was well, but that amount was way below my pre-pregnancy habit of two pots throughout every day. Stuff like that. It would have been easier to just wind it down in a natural way in anticipation of growing a little human bean.

Some people swear by pre natal vitamins, too. I wasn't comfortable with them (vitamins are unregulated and they can say whatever's in them that they want to. Plus they are $$$), so I made it a point to eat more whole foods that contain the good stuff when I was pregnant. And doing that BEFORE can only be beneficial. The book, Whole Foods For Mother And Baby, by Nina Planck has some great info about that. It's a short book, so maybe that could be a library borrow, instead of a buy. If you are interested in more nutrition info for pre-during-post-pregnancy, I can easily load you up with links, so let me know!

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 10:16:03 AM »
The nutrition info would be great! Thanks!
And thanks for all the book suggestions too. We just got a copy of 'What to Expect' but I haven't started reading it yet.

msgrubbyfungus

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »
Can I just add my thanks as well. DH and I are going to start trying for our first in Feb., so stumbling across this tread and its recommendation was great.

Good luck Summer98!

skiffgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
There is a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler that I recommend to everyone trying to get pregnant. Here is the link to the forum that goes along with the book. it is a very active forum and they can answer any questions you may have http://www.tcoyf.com/forums/

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
My references are actually from my prenatal massage text books (which is my massage practice speciality), which are packed up while we rearrange rooms to accomodate our second child due in early April.  So, I'm going from memory here.

As far as conception issues, without knowing the specific fertility issue, it's hard to make anything more than general recommendations.  However, nutritional deficiencies often play a role in many common hormonal imbalances and fertility complications.  One of the most overlooked nutritional deficiencies is essential fatty acids.  Unfortunately, some of the best EFAs come from fish, which are largely to be avoided during pregnancy due to the fact that fish often contain high levels of mercury.  It is particularly sad because there are studies that show a link between a deficiency in EFAs and postpartum depression. 

If the mother or father to be do use an EFA supplement, just be sure that if it is a fish-based oil that it come from the body of the fish, and not the liver, and that it is mercury-free. 

If the mother-to-be is having issues with not ovulating regularly, Evening Primrose Oil is another way to go.  It will provide her with EFAs, but has been taken to help regulate the mentrual cycle.  If she has a condition like PCOS, Evening Primrose is a wonderful supplement to take.  Just stop taking it during pregnancy, as PCOS-related hormonal imbalances become a non-issue during pregnancy.  During pregnancy, the fish oil supplement would be a better choice. 

Another option for regulated the menstrual cycle would be to take Vitex (Chaste Tree) Extract (aka tincture).  Chaste Tree was traditionally used by monks in the middle ages to calm carnal urges, but was found to have the opposite effect on women, and also regulated the most irregular of menstrual cycles. 

If it is a masculine issue, then the father to be might benefit from extra Vitamin E which may increase sperm counts and quality.

If you're not the supplement type, search on line for foods rich in EFAs.  Most common are fish (search online for low-mercury types and limit to 1/wk), nuts, seeds, healthy oils, and eggs.

The only other thing that I would absolutely recommend, more so for the health of the baby than for an increased chance of conception, is that both parents start taking folic acid, or eating a LOT of foods high in folic acid.  Most people trying to get pregnant know that studies have been done showing that folic acid reduces the risk of birth defects.  But, further research has shown that the ealier that the best results come from when both parents take folic acid (by supplement or in their diet) and when the consumption of folic acid begins in the preconception stage.

Other than that, stress is a show-stopper.  If the mother or father to be are experiencing a moderate to high level of stress in their lives, it can reduce one's chances for conception greatly. 

Hope that helps.

amanadoo

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 03:14:51 PM »
I was getting links together, when I realized that most referenced the Weston A Price foundation, either directly or indirectly. So as far as nutritional information goes, I can't recommend them enough! This is the place to learn about healthy fats, the importance of protein and lacto-bacilli. One thing you'll find referenced all over the place is cod liver oil. But there's really SO MUCH good info there (in addition to the stuff about CLO). Here is the link to the women's section of their site, but it's worth poking around in other areas as well.

http://www.westonaprice.org/Women-s-Health/

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 07:22:44 AM »
Natural family planning can be very helpful for couples trying to conceive... the couple to couple league offers courses that may be of interest. their site:

http://www.ccli.org/

Be sure to get plenty of folic acid in your diet prior to and early in pregnancy to avoid birth defects such as spina bifida, etc. Good luck to you!

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »
My wife and I used a saliva ovulation test kit which worked for us:

http://www.amazon.com/ovulite-saliva-predictor-Ovulation-Predictor/dp/B000BVB5B6

It's pretty easy to use.  Every morning you put a little bit of spit on it and look through the mini-microscope.  If you see crystal patterns which looks like ferns or frost on a window that means you have high levels of estrogen and will be ovulating soon.

If you see the patters "get to it" for the next few days which is when you'll be most fertile.

What I like about these kits is that they're infinitely re-usable without test strips that you have to keep purchasing.  Due to this it would be a good addition to a medical kit if we're ever in a SHTF situation.

And ya, take the folic acid before and after pregnancy.

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 06:20:18 AM »
Does anyone have any tips for getting in shape for pregnancy? I know the better shape you're in before the start line, the easier things go.

amanadoo

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 06:52:28 AM »
The other women will probably have better ideas than me about getting in shape, but along those same lines (kind of) KEGELS KEGELS KEGELS!!! You'll thank yourself!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 08:19:36 AM »
Does anyone have any tips for getting in shape for pregnancy? I know the better shape you're in before the start line, the easier things go.

my favorite was squats.  I especially liked to do them in the shallow end of a swimming pool.  the water helps keep you up while your muscles are learning.
second the kegels. (also, have your husband do kegels too..... strengthens his muscles there too ;)

course, these two are more for delivery than pregnancy, but - no, wait, kegels help in pregnancy when you get to the point of leaking urine every time you laugh or sneeze.  But either way, you will be glad you have done these.

Offline TSPMike

• Prepper
    • Adventure Touring Motorcycle
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
DW and I just used the same soap and she got pregnant, twice. ;D I wonder if there is a psychological link between people that are really trying to get pregnant vs those who just let it happen.

Anyway, on a more serious note...While I was in the Army the females that went to pregnancy PT said it was a tougher workout then when they went to normal PT with the unit. Lots more pushups and situps, but less running. Not that the Army knows everything about exercise, but that many pregnant females can't be too wrong.

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »
If you are interested in fertility issues see my post (http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=9417.0).  I discuss a natural method for fertility.  If there is a medical issue that is complicated fertility this system can help diagnose and treat.