Author Topic: Animal Trapping and Snaring  (Read 61387 times)

Offline PeteG

• Prepper
Re: Animal Trapping and Snaring
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »
Rumor has it that in a town near me, squirrel hunting has turned into setting out a line of 6 or so rat traps, baited with peanut butter. By the time the last one is set & you circle back to the first you have squirrels...

I am sure this is not legal in many places, but having a few rat traps around for an "emergency" may not be a bad idea.

~Pete

Georgiaboy

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
In my area, that would be illegal without a trapping license. Although plenty of hunting takes place off season under the guide os Birfeeder Defense.

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »
Rumor has it that in a town near me, squirrel hunting has turned into setting out a line of 6 or so rat traps, baited with peanut butter. By the time the last one is set & you circle back to the first you have squirrels...

I am sure this is not legal in many places, but having a few rat traps around for an "emergency" may not be a bad idea.

~Pete
Added to my shopping list.  I'm hoping for some bait that works on Rabbits!  I bought one of those Live traps, but it really expensive, no way I'd buy 4-6 of them.

Thanks! +1 to you!

calamityjane

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »

~Pete

I'm >----------< this close to squirrel battle too.  I will file this away in the 'line in the sand' department.   They've gotten every strawberry in the garden so far.  Grr.

Juggernaut

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »
wouldn't the squirrel get away maimed from the traps and still live?

Offline PeteG

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2009, 06:47:37 PM »

I have not tried this one, I was just told about it by a friend from a nearby town; but in a "I gotta eat" situation it may be worth trying.

~Pete

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »

If it's really a rat trap, I don't think they'll get away maimed.  In fact, I've seen a full sized red-squirrel killed by a mouse trap.  Rat traps are pretty big and nasty.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »
I carry a roll of small wire (that's actually for making your own Christmas ornament hooks) in my outside gear.  I use it for making squirrel traps, but a similarly small type wire could be used for anchoring the rat traps in place to keep a wounded squirrel from dragging the trap off.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 09:45:04 PM »
CRAWFISH, IT'S CRAWFISH, not crayfish, not crawdads, but CRAWFISH.

Go to Louisiana and order crayfish, see what kind of looks you get.

Hold on, where's Sneauxball, maybe she can help me out. ;D

I think she'd tell they ain't neither, they're "mudbugs".  Mike Rowe on The Discovery Chanel's "Dirtiest Jobs" did an episode where he went out in the swamps with a Louisianian crawfish hunter, Mike pulled the Jon boat through the shallows while the other guy sat in the boat high and dry, just shaking his head.

Tim.

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 02:07:09 AM »
I say Louisiana with five syllables, too.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 07:33:27 AM »
I say Louisiana with five syllables, too.

that's a common mistake. it has 4. pronounced: Lue - zee- anna.

it's only crawdad's for kids.

and you gotta suck the heads!

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »
and you gotta suck the heads!

I LOVE those T-shirts!  BITE THE TAIL and SUCK THE HEADS!  You can instantly tell who's been to Nawlens (New Orleans for Nicky... It's OK Nicky, I can't say Prosciutto).

Tim.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
I lived down there for several years, and never did "suck the heads" (go ahead Nicky, I know, opened myself wide up on that one  ;D). Our landlord had several crawfish boils, and I just couldn't get used to seeing those little black eyeballs getting sucked down with everything else. I always preferred fried or etouffee (probably my favorite meal of all times). Can't beat Mulate's 1/2 fried, 1/2 etouffee platter.

Offline JeanetteW

• TSP Posse Boss
  • Survivor
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
I have several live traps that I keep on hand to catch feral cats and other bad actors. I know from experience that I can trap several critters a day in these - more than sufficient - so that's as far as I'll go.

Still, trapping seems to work better than hunting, so I'm prepared to trap those varmints and put them to good use!
 --
 Jeanette

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 07:05:48 PM »
i like the diy live traps i have made several of these http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/woodwork/ww10/ one thing don't use new lumber. let it lay out and weather for 3 or 4 weeks first.

oh yeah I'm sorry if offend anyone but bait      urine
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:10:23 PM by wcff3431 »

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2009, 07:16:56 PM »
  Check out a magazine called Fur Fish and Game for hints and specifics. 

FF&G is great. Besides the specifics, it gives current market prices and the classifieds aren't bad either.

Offline thefishingangler

• Prepper
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »
Good day all and thanks for reading this.

I live in Southern Ontario (close to Toronto) and have never hunted or trapped. I used to shoot a recurve bow in and got quite proficient at it but, haven't picked it up for about 15 years.

Through listening to Jack I'm thinking that hunting and snaring is probably a good thing to have but, am unsure on where to start. I've seen some of the videos on snaring, hunting and cleaning and am interested in trying things but, my wife doesn't come from this type of background and is a bit adverse in going to do these things. I think that she might be interested in some archery and we could maybe go from there but, being this close to the city, ranges are few and far between. They usually ask for you to join the club as well before you can shoot. I think that this coupled with having to make the purchase of a bow will make the "hey let's try this" comment not go very far with her.

I thought about doing a survival course with here but, we're looking about $500 CAD per person for 2 weekends.

Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance.

Offline smittymojoe

• Prepper
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 01:52:27 PM »
Hello thefishingangler..... welcome to the forums!
One idea I have is this. Do you have any friends or family that are into hunting or trapping? That might be a good way to learn some of the ins and outs.
I have an Uncle that got me into hunting. Took me deer hunting when I was about 12 and got me hooked on it. I'm sure some others will chime in with some other advice.

smitty

ChiefCornerstone

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »
Fish  Try getting the bows that they shoot at the YMCA or at schools.. You can shoot in your backyard and not that powerful.. The thing they will teach your wife is form the most important thing in bow huntin,..  Start with the block foam targets, cheap and you can shoot anything at them..  Then if she is into it you start to get the ones that look like animals..  See my point, Get her into shootin at things that look like animals..  Also with the YMCA bows you can even go to vacant lots, field , or anyplace large enough..I also think you won't get any flack from any one because, most people shot these back in school.. Enjoy.. 

Offline thefishingangler

• Prepper
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »
Thanks for your replies. Nobody in my family hunts unfortunately. My wife and I do fish however. Are there any ranges or stores in my vicinity (NY, PA or OH) that rent bows to try that anyone knows of?

Vinny T. Firefly

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 01:37:24 AM »
Have you tried the region 2 board? It includes NY and PA. Maybe you could hook up with someone and they could help set you up.

Offline thefishingangler

• Prepper
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
That's a great idea (unfortunately not one I thought of). I will try this.

Thanks Vinny

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2010, 02:14:39 AM »

He was tough to get out of the trap!!!

Thought I'd lighten things up a bit.....

Steve

Offline AdamCG

• Prepper
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »
I’m sorry if this is a re-post. 

Maybe it’s because I’m a product of the WV public, school system and I still throw rocks at my shadow but I thought this was a very clever idea for trapping small game. 

The Small Common Man Trapping Kit

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2010, 06:30:33 PM »
I think there are a lot of threads that mention trapping and snaring, but I don't think any are dedicated to it.  So, I started this thread strictly on animal traps and snares, specifically on how to build your own. However, discussion of mechanical traps bought from a store are ok too.  I'll kick it off with a couple diagrams, videos and links.

Live rabbit trap

Live rabbit trap 2

This site has a lot of really good ones

Squirrel Pole

Bird pole

Figure 4 deadfall

Paiute deadfall

Other Snares and traps

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/traps.htm
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Skills/Hunting%20and%20Snaring/Hunting%20and%20Snaring.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpiyq02ccQ&feature=player_embedded#

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2010, 08:54:37 PM »
I think there are a lot of threads that mention trapping and snaring, but I don't think any are dedicated to it.  So, I started this thread strictly on animal traps and snares, specifically on how to build your own. However, discussion of mechanical traps bought from a store are ok too.  I'll kick it off with a couple diagrams, videos and links.

Live rabbit trap
I used these type rabbit box traps as a teen and they are very effective. More so after a rabbit has been previously caught in it and left rabbit scent, poop and urine in it. Old scrap wood works better than new pine and locate it on a rabbit trail next to a stump, log or ant hill where they make poop marker piles. Put some bunny berries on and in the box to help get the first one caught. Also if you make several of these let your  first caught wild rabbit scent the other boxes to get them started. Food bait usually will only catch a possum and that preditor smell will ruin the box. Also try not to step in the rabbit trail, standing just off to the side usually doesn't hurt.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2010, 11:47:49 PM »
i made these to, an old timer showed me how to put a few small nails in the door . shure drives them in the back of the box.
hi im bull and im a trap aholic, think about it year round , fish ,fur,or just for fun.
snares are the all around food producers,  i even put wire twists on the doors of my wire cage traps ,and cut them to a point
nothing to hert them just to get them to go right in.
i even had a toy trap with me in the gulf ,yep trapen scorpins had to do something.made snare to cach cangaroo rats.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2010, 05:03:10 AM »
Sitting here watching this video and my son comes over to me and says "daddy can we try to make some of these?".   Il love my son so much.

Offline Rustler3

• Prepper
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:57 PM »
I've seen opossums in our So Cal neighborhood and would love to trap one in something like this.  I'm just wondering what you might use that would attract one of those but not our (or neighbor) cats.  Any suggestions?

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2011, 11:53:38 PM »
In SoCal, it's best to go with a live capture trap.  Accidentally killing a neighbor cat would be bad.  Opossums around here eat any food that's left out so pretty much anything can be used as bait.
Good hunting from South OC.