Author Topic: Canning venison  (Read 4291 times)

Offline guitarzan

• Prepper
Canning venison
« on: December 24, 2009, 01:19:07 PM »
Last week I was able to take to deer.  My freezer is close to full so I decided to can them. 

The first step was process them by to debone the large muscles.  That took up one evening.  Next was to turn the large muscles into 1 inch cubes.  That took a long time time too. 

The came the canning part.  I used the University of Georgia's "So Easy to Preserve" book for the recipe and my almost brand new All American Pressure Cooker/Canner.   This was its second time out.

The steps in a nutshell are, put the meat in a roasting pan in a 400 degree oven until it is cooked to rare stage.  Put the meat in a hot sterilized jar leaving a generous 1" headspace, I used quart jars, add 1/2 tsp salt, then fill the jar with "broth" to cover the meat, get the air bubbles out, wipe the mouth of the jar down with a towel soaked in vinegar to remove any fat that will keep the lid from sealing, put an a sterilized lid and tighten the ring to finger tight, process for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

It turned out great, I can't tell the venison from beef.  Another 8 days of deer season left, hope to get two more.

Thanks for TSP and Jack and this forum for helping me do more to get prepared.

I took some photos and if I ever figure out how to post them, you will get to see the before and after pictures.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're still waiting but we're READY!
Re: Canning venison
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
Way to go Guitarzan!  I love it when people can - especially stuff they grew or hunted.  I've canned a lot of meat -  elk and buffalo but also chicken, venison, antelope, pork, corned beef and trout.  I have a method just a little simpler than yours.  You do not have to cube the meat - just cut it in hunks - and you don't have to precook it.  I do a raw pack method where you take hot sterilized jars and pack with raw meat.  Add 1 tsp. canning salt for quarts and a hot lid and ring and into the pressure canner. Process for 90 minutes at your altitude's required lbs. The meat makes its own broth - pack meat tightly into the jars as it cooks down.  A few less steps - same result. 

Please post pic's so we can all drool! Hope you get a couple more deer.  Blessings, TBM
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:48:10 PM »
Great thread. I was curious as to how long the canned venison will keep? thanks..

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
This is a great way to convert gathered wild food into LTS food. 

Try this now, extend the liquid in a can or two with some water and a bit of beef bullion, heat it in a pot (meat kept off to the side since it is fully cooked), in the sauce cook a bunch of chopped celery (bout spoon size) for about 30 minutes, now add a handfull of chopped parsley (fresh) and a bunch of chopped potatoes (again about spoon sized) cook till the potatoes are soft.  Thicken with flour or corn starch to a nice gravy and add in your meat and cook until meat is hot on the insides.

Less then an hour to an amazing pot of stew,
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're still waiting but we're READY!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »
Great thread. I was curious as to how long the canned venison will keep? thanks..

I am under the understanding it will keep several years possibly up to 5 but since I use and restock what we have I have yet to get past 2 - 3 years.  All home canned goods should be stored in a dark, cool place which extends the shelf life. Hope this helps.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
Thanks, I guess i never thought to preserve venison, all the other meats but not venison-who knows why i never thought of it-probably a senior moment. ;D

Offline guitarzan

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:22:18 AM »
Way to go Guitarzan!  I love it when people can - especially stuff they grew or hunted.  I've canned a lot of meat -  elk and buffalo but also chicken, venison, antelope, pork, corned beef and trout.  I have a method just a little simpler than yours.  You do not have to cube the meat - just cut it in hunks - and you don't have to precook it.  I do a raw pack method where you take hot sterilized jars and pack with raw meat.  Add 1 tsp. canning salt for quarts and a hot lid and ring and into the pressure canner. Process for 90 minutes at your altitude's required lbs. The meat makes its own broth - pack meat tightly into the jars as it cooks down.  A few less steps - same result. 

Please post pic's so we can all drool! Hope you get a couple more deer.  Blessings, TBM

Thanks for kind words.  I took two more yesterday, the last day of deer season in my neck of the woods.  I'll get to canning them tomorrow and will try your method report. 

Now that deer season is over, it's time to hunt rabbits and squirrels.  Anybody canned them?

idahobob

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »
When it comes to canning any meat, whether domestic or wild, we always raw pack it. I have never found a good reason to pre-cook or add any broth or water. We just cube the meat, put 1/4 tsp of Himalayan salt per each pint, fill the sterilized jars with meat, put on the lids and rings and process in the ol' pressure canner.

We have found that by using the raw pack method, we eliminate any unnecessary steps in the canning process.

Bob
III

Offline punkin

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »
Im going to be trying my hand at canning deer meat tomorrow.  I bought my wife a pressure cooker/canner for christmas (kind of a selfish present, lol but she had been hinting at one for a while  ;D).  I was fortunate enough to harvest 4 deer this year in the great state of West By God Virginia so the deep freezer is way full.  We are up right now at midnight canning vegetable soup.  Becky made 28 quarts on NYE which has become a sort of a tradition in our house on NYE.  I look forward to giving it a whirl tomorrow.  Ill take a few pics and post them up when the meat is done.

Punkin

Offline Granny Miller

• Prepper
    • Granny Miller - Smallholder's Daily - Granny Miller's  Homestead, Garden & Pantry & American Home Canning
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 09:27:35 AM »
Here's a post from a while ago
http://americanhomecanning.com/?tag=meat
GRANNY MILLER - Sharing forgotten skills and encouraging others in a life of greater self reliance and personal responsibility.