Author Topic: 5 Things You Didn't Know Your Cell Phone Could Do  (Read 23047 times)

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know Your Cell Phone Could Do
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 08:13:38 AM »
That's probably accurate for Ohio as well.  Ours specifically eliminated any law suits against victims for defending themselves though.

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 08:43:05 AM »
Yeah so I tried a couple of these with no luck either. Would have been nice on the extra battery power one. This damn iphone battery lasts about a day and it's toast.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 08:57:06 AM »
I carry one of these...

LINK

...in my BOB for extra Cell Phone juice.  Seems to work well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 08:58:55 AM by Tactical Badger »

Offline techwiz

• Prepper
  • Finger lightly on the button
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 08:52:41 PM »
Just to help clarify a little more, if you want to believe me great. if you wanna take the time to search it yourself it won't hurt my feelings either....

112 - I wouldn't even bother.  >:( If your in the US, 911 is your best bet. In Europe they use 112 like our 911. If your cellphone has no service, it has no service - period.

codes to unlock battery life - nope...  >:( The code mentioned in the OP is for an old Nokia model that allowed you to make the phone call sound crappier than normal but use less power to make the call so the battery would last longer. The biggest problem with that is that it has to be supported on both ends. MOST of the cell carriers in the US do not have it enabled because they get enough complaints about the call quality as it is. There are a ton of codes that work on a lot of different phones, most of them can cause you to break your phone too if used incorrectly so best to stay away from them.

Unlock the car doors - No again.  >:( your key fob is a RF transmitter probably up in the VHF (99.992% are nowadays) That just won't work thru a phone call, Now you can hold the key fob up to your chin or head and you will get a few more feet of range out of it because it uses your bones as a radiator for the RF, same principle as clearing the static from your rabbit ears with your fingers.

forget what the 4th one was, stolen phone maybe?  ::) yea just write down your account number and phone number to the cell phone company. they already know exactly what phone you are using that was just stolen. that's how they bill you so they know how to find the phone in the system.

411 - yes, we have a winner!  ;D There are several you can call without having the 411 fee (you still have to pay for the phone call minutes like any other call unless you have unlimited minutes)
A few of the better ones are 1-800-466-4411 which is googles baby. You can only get business listings though right now. 1-800-373-3411 is good too, you have to listen to a 10 or 15 second advertisement before you get the number you want.

Hope this helps some... If you didn't guess, i have to deal with cellphones all day long...
Jeff

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 10:12:50 PM »
   I hate to high jack this thread, but I seem to be good at it so why stop here........... BUT I AM GOING TO YELL THIS!!!!!! Why doesn't everyone get HAM radio's!!!!  Get them for you, your wife, your kids... They can never take out HAM. Why are we all into prepping and gathering food and guns for SH*T HITTING THE FAN and are over looking solid communications. Think how sick you will feel when something goes off and you go to dial the phone and nothing happens. I am going to make it my mission to get all of the regular posters on here their HAM licenses. You ham guys help me out...

Ham licenses cost $14 for life, it takes a 35 question test that you can miss up to 9 of them. That's it, bingo your a ham. There is absolutely no reason every one on here shouldn't have a ticket.

Ham radio's are cheap, sure you can buy a $5,000 radio, but for a $120 you can get a kick ass HT (walkie talkie) to start. If you join a club usually $5.00 a month there is always some old guy who will hook you up with enough equipment  to get started( its kinda of a HAM code). 

Ham radio operators live, breath and eat to operate under extreme emergency's.

Picture in your head this scenario... You are at the store a few miles from your house and a boom in the distance goes off, next the store makes an emergency announcement of some horrific event that has just occurred. People all grab their phones and you see the terrified look on their faces, you hear complaints of the phones not working. Then you hear people making comments hoping their loved ones are OK..
   You head for an out the way area in the store, pull a little HT( about the same size as your cell phone) out of your EDC bag. Turn it on to your pre arranged frequency and make a call to your wife, you hear her scared voice come over the radio and ask when you are coming home. You reply, you OK?? She replies YES. You tell her your on the way home. The radios just paid for themselves.

I hate to RANT, but I've become fond of you guys and this forum and I don't want you to have that sickening feeling when your not knowing what's going on with your loved ones.  NOW GET OFF YOUR BUTTS MY FELLOW PREPPERS and go to this link  http://www.eham.net/exams/ and take the technician practice tests a minimum of five times a day until you score consistently in the 80 percentile. When you achieve that PM me for further instructions. GOD BLESS you all and have a happy Thanksgiving....

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 10:57:38 PM »
Ham radios would be great.  Cost is a problem (base station) Tower might be a problem also. (Renting your home, town regulations, etc.)
CB's also a good idea. (In fact, my son is talking on his base right now.)

I would really like to get into Hams, tho.  I would also like to learn Morse, although, as I understand it, it isn't used much anymore - and not required.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 10:59:13 PM »
OK. you have me convinced.. Taking practice tests... now...

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 11:49:42 PM »
Ham radios would be great.  Cost is a problem (base station) Tower might be a problem also. (Renting your home, town regulations, etc.)

I would really like to get into Hams, tho.  I would also like to learn Morse, although, as I understand it, it isn't used much anymore - and not required.
Cost can be a problem, if you choose to go with top of the line most expensive equipment.  It doesn't have to be though.

For example...My mobile rig in my Jeep is an Yaesu FT2800M, click on the link and you'll see just how affordable it is.  I got this radio with everything I needed to hook it up in my Jeep, plus a 3db gain antenna for less than $200.  I can hit repeaters 30-50 miles away with this radio & I live in hilly country.  Odds are you can do even better in a flat area.

You want a tower, Check out this thread.  Mount this thing anywhere & however your imagination can lead you, get some coax, hook up the same mobile unit I'm using & you're in business.

HAM radio can be expensive, but it certainly doesn't have to be.  Seriously, we're talking about information here, information is everything.

Here are some free study resources.  Now no one here has an excuse...get to it.
Mr. Pugsly's free Technician & General Class Exam Notes  Print 'em, study 'em & carry 'em with you.
QRZ Practice Exams  These are free & are the exact same questions you'll take to get your ticket. (No excuses)
The American Radio Relay League  The mother organization of all HAM radiodom.  Anything you could possibly want to know, you'll find a resource here to point you in the right direction.

This goes for you too Spirko!

+1 to you Bailey for being a HAM nazi. ;D

Oh, BTW I'm the new president of the Zombie Squad Amateur Radio Club (ZSARC).  It's a new club & we're just getting started, but check out our communications forum Here, so I have a vested interest in spreading the HAM radio word.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 11:51:50 PM »

Flagtag you do not need a tower, if costs are a factor find a club who will help you out. It is an old mans sport and they are trying to keep it alive, I guarantee they will help you out. CB is Ok, but 2 meter for line of sight stuff is unbeatable. A couple of HT's and a mobile in your BOV will work miracles for you. If you have a 2 meter repeater in your area it will increase your range and a NET operator during an emergency will control radio traffic( kinda of like a dispatcher). CB's don't have repeaters or NET controllers.
  They have removed Morse code requirements, but if you want to learn it all the better... Have a safe holiday

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 01:51:11 AM »
Is there a class for toal noobs who don't know the first thing about HAM?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 02:12:10 AM »
OK. you have me convinced.. Taking practice tests... now...

Archer you Rock!!!

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2008, 02:18:13 AM »
Is there a class for toal noobs who don't know the first thing about HAM?

19Kilo If you can look up ham radio clubs in your area. Gotta sleep now,but I'll talk with ya more about it...

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »
Well, now you all up and went and got me interested in getting a license.  My wife and my pocketbook thank you all!   ;)

Here is a pretty good resource for studying that I found last night.  Already started studying!  I am shooting for a local test on the 17th of December. 

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 09:54:11 AM »
Just to help clarify a little more, if you want to believe me great. if you wanna take the time to search it yourself it won't hurt my feelings either....

112 - I wouldn't even bother.  >:( If your in the US, 911 is your best bet. In Europe they use 112 like our 911. If your cellphone has no service, it has no service - period.

codes to unlock battery life - nope...  >:( The code mentioned in the OP is for an old Nokia model that allowed you to make the phone call sound crappier than normal but use less power to make the call so the battery would last longer. The biggest problem with that is that it has to be supported on both ends. MOST of the cell carriers in the US do not have it enabled because they get enough complaints about the call quality as it is. There are a ton of codes that work on a lot of different phones, most of them can cause you to break your phone too if used incorrectly so best to stay away from them.

Unlock the car doors - No again.  >:( your key fob is a RF transmitter probably up in the VHF (99.992% are nowadays) That just won't work thru a phone call, Now you can hold the key fob up to your chin or head and you will get a few more feet of range out of it because it uses your bones as a radiator for the RF, same principle as clearing the static from your rabbit ears with your fingers.

forget what the 4th one was, stolen phone maybe?  ::) yea just write down your account number and phone number to the cell phone company. they already know exactly what phone you are using that was just stolen. that's how they bill you so they know how to find the phone in the system.

411 - yes, we have a winner!  ;D There are several you can call without having the 411 fee (you still have to pay for the phone call minutes like any other call unless you have unlimited minutes)
A few of the better ones are 1-800-466-4411 which is googles baby. You can only get business listings though right now. 1-800-373-3411 is good too, you have to listen to a 10 or 15 second advertisement before you get the number you want.

Hope this helps some... If you didn't guess, i have to deal with cellphones all day long...
Jeff

Hehh, thanks for the clarification Jeff.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »
Thanks Delta, Bailey, and firetoad.

I put all the links in my "Favorites" so that I can refer back to them. 

About a year ago, I ordered an educational disk and book for Morse Code, but haven't practiced it much.  It's a shame - in a way - that "they' did away with it. I like the idea of "talking" to someone without someone else knowing what "we" are saying to each other.  Not many people know Morse Code. (Like me.  :()
Listening to the tones, I was able to remember what some of them (letters/words) meant, but I couldn't figure out how to "send" and know if I was doing it right.  I needed some kind of device that would "record" the letters/words that I was "sending", so that I could review it.
Figures: I get interested in an "art" and it "croaks"!  :'(
Delta: You are right - the cost isn't too bad. I didn't know that the radios could be used in vehicles. (I lead a "sheltered" life.  :D) I really like that idea!  ;D

Thanks again everyone!

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2008, 01:07:25 AM »
    Ham licenses cost $14 for life, it takes a 35 question test that you can miss up to 9 of them. That's it, bingo your a ham. There is absolutely no reason every one on here shouldn't have a ticket. 
Okay, you talked me into it. I did the eham.net technician test and without studying passed it four out of five times, it's really not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess maybe I did retain some of that stuff I learned in phisics class.  ;D

There is a test on the 10th that gives me time to study and do some more test exams heck I will probably be licensed within a few weeks!  :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:30:50 AM by Dan »

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2008, 09:27:25 AM »
Okay, you talked me into it. I did the eham.net technician test and without studying passed it four out of five times, it's really not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess maybe I did retain some of that stuff I learned in phisics class.  ;D

There is a test on the 10th that gives me time to study and do some more test exams heck I will probably be licensed within a few weeks!  :)

That is way cool.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2008, 01:12:33 PM »
Thanks Delta, Bailey, and firetoad.

Delta: You are right - the cost isn't too bad. I didn't know that the radios could be used in vehicles. (I lead a "sheltered" life.  :D) I really like that idea!  ;D

Thanks again everyone!

Hey flagtag, here's a couple of pics of my setup in my Cherokee.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2008, 01:19:16 PM »
I have an old Johnson in my Jeep Cherokee. Still trying to find a good place to put it since when they designed the Jeep, they did not have CBs or people who drink in mind. There seems to be no room for a CB setup or cupholders...  >:(

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »
That's pretty cool! Convenient.  Do you have any trouble with leaks? Where is your antenna?
Would a CB antenna interfer with the Ham?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:38:01 PM by flagtag »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »
I have an old Johnson in my Jeep Cherokee. Still trying to find a good place to put it since when they designed the Jeep, they did not have CBs or people who drink in mind. There seems to be no room for a CB setup or cupholders...  >:(

That's pretty cool! Convenient.  Do you have any trouble with leaks? Where is your antenna?
Would a CB antenna interfer with the Ham?
I answered your questions inThe Communications Forum instead of continuing to hijack this thread.

Check it out. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:43:47 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2008, 04:43:43 PM »
Great!  Thanks for the step by step.  (With pics. :))

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2008, 11:00:21 PM »
if it wasn't for my job, i'd take my cell out in the woods and dial 76239 with it. the best usage i've ever gotten out of it
was at a music festival when i scored big points with the ladies for letting them used it as a flashlight in the porta johns!! ;D 8)

also, if i might add a #6 to the list that a cell phone can do...CAUSE TUMORS!

great suggestions/info on the ham stuff guys. i'm taking a more serious look now.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »
Castle Doctrine baby!!  Castle Doctrine!!  Ohio is slowly getting better.

The recently passed "Castle Doctrine" in Texas was really silly. The law was very clear when a person had the right to use deadly force and had been this was since Republic days. It has never been "legal" to kill another person in Texas, what the law said was there was a "defense" to the exception of the law. Even LEO's could not "legally" kill someone. It was a defense that they shot the person to save their own life, the life of another, etc. What happened in these cases is that the county attorney would review the case and decide if it was possible that the defense was not justified. If he decided that it was possible the defense case was "iffy" then he would take it to the Grand Jury for review. If they decided that the "defense" clause was doubtful they would ask charges be brought. What the "Castle Doctrine" did in Texas was to make it "legal" to use deadly force under the exact same circumstances the "defense" clauses did. Just silly legislation because the procedure still is reviewed by the county attorney and the Grand Jury in most cases (IMHO as a "cover yer ass procedure"). I laughed my ass off when some moron state representative introduced legislation to say a Texan could use deadly force to prevent a car jacking. In Texas you could always use deadly force to protect your property even if it was a stick of gum of yours being stolen. Here it is "much ado about nothing" but am glad some of the other states are getting on board with what in Texas has always been the case. You commit a crime against person OR property in Texas, you have a real possibility of getting a bullet for your trouble.