Author Topic: DIY: Truck Camper  (Read 37179 times)

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
Re: Does a 5'x8' utility trailer plus a DIY cabin = a camper trailer???
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »
Last summer Trash picked up a pop-up camper off of the local CL for a six pack of beer. We used it a cuppla times and it works great. But missus wanted more of a bug out residence so we kept playing the local Cls until we just picked up a 24 ft motorhome from a dufus at firesal prices.. He needed mortgage money ..

tash

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 09:22:05 AM »
I check CL every couple of days but I think I may need to start keeping an eye on it daily.

A six-pack for a popup. Now that's a damn good deal. What did you end up doing with it?

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 10:21:40 AM »
we will still be usin it as a MIL residence when we are on the road if SHTF.. It has 2 queen beds a sink a small stove and a small cooler . Not as luxurious as the Motor home but alas my jeep will pull it..
Guy a few miles from me had it stored in his garage. He just wanted it gone. Asked him what he wanted and a six pack of good beer.  I drank 2 with him  when we met up.

tash

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
So I got a question for you folks,

What is the best way to waterproof standard plywood? Please keep in mind the following...
a. I'm trying to do this as cheap and effective as possible
b. I'm trying to keep the weight down therefor... I don't want to use marine plywood

I'm thinking of buying some Snow Seal (found here). This stuff sounds great but it is only made in white. I want to know but can't seem to find if I can paint over it with a exterior latex paint?

I'm looking for suggestions/comments please. Thanks guys/girls :)

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »
I've never used it and don't know what the results would be like on plywood...but what about Thomsons Waterseal?

I think you can find it in hardware/paint stores. 

tash

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »
I've never used it and don't know what the results would be like on plywood...but what about Thomsons Waterseal?

I think you can find it in hardware/paint stores. 

Thanks for the suggestion. After doing some research it looks like Thompsons is a stain for bare wood.

I would like to paint what I'm working on that same color as my truck, if possible, so I think I have to go another route.

I'm still confused on oil vs. water vs. latex based paints.

It's my understanding that most outdoor paints are now latex based because they also help protect against UV. I could be completely wrong but that's the impression I've got so far.

There are so many combination's it's mind-boggling.

I need someone to tell me:
1. use this to seal seams (type of sealer)
2. use this primer (type of primer) (if needed, but I'm pretty sure it is)
3. use this paint (type of paint)

Thanks!

tash

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 09:31:28 AM »
Followup:

It looks like I should have just keep searching the web before I post. LOL

The plan for now is to use
-Silicone to seal the gaps (except for the roof)
-Snow Seal for the roof (2 or 3 coats)
-Kilz to prime the sides
-Exterior paint, whatever color I want.

I think this will be the cheapest/easiest way of doing things.

One day a year on maintenance is not gonna kill me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:35:52 AM by Gator »

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
Have you looked into a piece of rolled roofing? It's a single piece of rubber that you can glue down. For a trailer, you might be able to find a bathroom liner that is big enough to do the trick.

No seams on the roof is the best.

When putting it on the roof of a trailer that is going to go down the road, I would have some flashing or something on the leading edge to keep the roof from blowing off.

I know when dad parks the pickup camper, he parks the front higher then the back so the water won't pool on the roof and cause a leak.

tash

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
Update:

I was hoping to wait until the region three shindig to announce/show this but;

I've asked our great moderator Trioxin to change the name of this tread to 'DIY: Truck Camper' or something very similar.

After a lot of thought and given the fact that I've recently upgraded to a truck from an suv, I've changed my focus for what I'm building.

I'm in the process of building truck camper. There was quite a bit of discussion on the pros/cons with the wife and I feel that we are going down the path that's right for us.

The inspiration for this build came from here. I've spoken with Bob and he's a great guy and gave me some insight into his camper. His camper is below and what I'm in the process of building for my truck.

tash

Re: DIY: Truck Camper
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
Update:

Where I'm at as of this evening. Now that all the framing is (almost) done I'll do another test fit. After that I'll start working on the sides and then the roof. The last major thing to work on is the back. I've still got a lot of little stuff to do but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

tash

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »
Update:

Today I did a test fit, finally. Looks like I 'measured twice and cut once' just right. Now I can get to putting on the walls tomorrow. :)

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 06:54:04 PM »
If you look closely you can see my head while I was trying to crawl out!

And yes, I'm so short I can stand up in it!

Offline johnnyb_good30

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 08:39:05 PM »
Hey guy that look cool  :) but i don't know if a chev can hual that much. ;D ;D like the ford :)

tash

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »
Hey guy that look cool  :) but i don't know if a chev can hual that much. ;D ;D like the ford :)

I'm sure a chevy couldn't but a dodge with a hemi can :) ;)

Offline johnnyb_good30

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 11:39:35 PM »
well u got me there  ;) it mite do as well as a ford.deffently better than a chev  ;D. i like the camper looking for more pics as you go.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2009, 08:23:36 AM »
Are you having this thing sit into the stake pockets? Cut a few short stakes, just to keep it from sliding around?
My dad always uses some old C-Clamps to hold his topper shell on.

Another thing to look into, is power from the truck. My dad has ran a wire to the truck bed, and wired up a constant 12v to his topper shell. He installed a broken (but works) 12 volt light so he can look for parts at night or while deer hunting. Works pretty well.

Just a few more thoughts.

tash

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
Update:

This weekend things came along pretty well except for my circular saw and my router dying. I don't know what gives. I take very good care of my tools. My circular saw I've had for 15 plus years and my router, well, it was a POC to begin with. So I ended up replacing my router with a new one and borrowed my friend circular saw while I take apart mine and find out what's wrong with it.

So are i've added both sides and part of the roof. I hate to have seams on the roof but I think it will be alright and the Snow Seal should be able to take care of it just fine. From what I've read it some amazing stuff. Can't wait to use it.

tash

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »
Are you having this thing sit into the stake pockets? Cut a few short stakes, just to keep it from sliding around?
My dad always uses some old C-Clamps to hold his topper shell on.

Another thing to look into, is power from the truck. My dad has ran a wire to the truck bed, and wired up a constant 12v to his topper shell. He installed a broken (but works) 12 volt light so he can look for parts at night or while deer hunting. Works pretty well.

Just a few more thoughts.

This is something that is on my ever long to do list. lol

During my testing if I get no more than ~ 1-2 mpg less with the camper on I may just keep it on indefinitely. That will allow me to come up with a place for the battery and lights and radio, etc. The battery will be a must though especially during the summer. I will definitely need to have a fan for the wife will not approve. lol

I'm also going to be installing some reflecting insulation inside as well. This should help a lot.

I hate to say this but I'm still working on how to secure it to the bed. I know I will be using some c-clamps, like the ones holding my tonneau cover down, inside but I have been thinking of drilling a hole on each corner (with proper metal priming and using rubber grommets) and use some grade 8 bolts. That will definitely give me some piece of mind. Unfortunately the main posts of the camper cover the opening that would make it easy to attach the camper to the truck.  The pegs are a really good idea as well. I will definitely keep that in mind.

I also need to get my bed lined with a profession liner. So that's also something I have to get done as well. Ah, the ever long list of things to do...

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2009, 09:37:55 PM »
If your going to get it lined, have some nuts welded in first. The welder will burn the paint off the truck, but the spray-on bed lining will cover that up really nice like.

I know my dad bolted his tool boxes down onto the sides of the truck when he used to do that. It was always a pain to unload the tool boxes, unbolt them, to put the pickup camper on. I always got the job of sorting the nails and screws when I was little enough I enjoyed it

Just cover the whole top with solar. That will keep the water out. ;).

tash

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2009, 06:43:58 PM »
Update:

Having been busy since my last update I've not had much time to work on the camper. It's almost all sealed up, well, except the back which I'll do when it on my truck. It's getting close though. :)

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »
sturdy looking set up

I met a guy in the woods who finished the exterior of his diy truck camper with boat fiberglass. It was smooth and looked like a million bucks.  (though that was his trade)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2009, 07:06:47 PM »
Update:

Having been busy since my last update I've not had much time to work on the camper. It's almost all sealed up, well, except the back which I'll do when it on my truck. It's getting close though. :)

Now you got a covered place to hide the bodies the next time the Mrs. goes "redhead" again.  Seriously...  it looks good Gator, damn good.  And I know a lot of thought went into it too, so I'm sure you'll be pleased.  And if you see a few improvements you'd like to add, sell it (maybe to another TSP Member) and make a new one.

Tim.

tash

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 07:29:13 AM »
thanks guy and gals... I appreciate it.

It's definitely a work in progress. I'm still looking for windows, vents, door, etc on the cheap but with my router it that should be easily taken care of when I find them.

I'm guessing that it's about 500 lbs now so I'm also trying to figure out a jack system. This is the part that I'm the most concerned with now. Making sure I can jack it up and onto my truck without damaging it or my truck.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
http://www.capricamper.com/model42.html

Look at this for ideas on how you might keep the wieght down, check out what they used for siding, windows, doors. They have some comstruction details.

Sorry if this is late, but I'm new