Author Topic: What clothing mods can you think of?  (Read 13782 times)

Offline AHA

• Prepper
    • Interesting Times
What clothing mods can you think of?
« on: December 28, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »
How can clothes be modified to be more useful for the modern mallninja? Ie stuff like adding extra pockets... and tinfoil.

See discussion here also: http://smf.rantradio.com/index.php?topic=2305.0

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
Re: What clothing mods can you think of?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
I have to ask the question already posed in the linked thread:

What type of clothing do you want to modify?

Honestly, unless it's formal clothing (Business attire, etc.), then there's literally a plethora of low-profile, casual clothing that's out there that comes specialized. (trust me, I know. . .I'm a clothes-wh**e).

5.11 and Blackhawk have superb lines of pants, including "covert" styles that look like normal chinos but have  hidden pockets for pistol and rifle mags.  I have one pair of 5.11's that holds four AR mags and four pistol mags and does NOT have the cargo pockets.

5.11 also makes lots of casual shirts, jackets, etc. that have elbow pad pockets, hidden pockets, internal pouch holders, etc.

They're a veritable Swiss Army Knife of clothing.

The Professor

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:37:28 PM »
Mr. Bill, these things seem to have captured your imagination.  ;D

I can't help it.  I'm an imaginative person.

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 11:05:15 PM »

Utilikilts offers a great selection of kilts for the man who wants functionality and freedom at the same time. I have a heavy blue denim one that is great for working on projects around the BOL. The pockets not only hold many useful repair items, they can hold three cold beers in each pocket!

;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:09:44 PM by occeltic »

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:41:22 PM »
LOL...While I can appreciate camo in any form I'm just not feeling the kilt.   Just to breezy for my tastes.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:35:01 AM »
Not to mention, prohibitively expensive. You can buy two full sets of high-quality camo clothing for one skir. . .uh. . kilt.

The Professor

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
Too funny! Certainly a kilt isn't for everyone, but on a hot day that breeze is very welcoming. ;D

The Utilikilt isn't the only item I have in my clothing arsenal. It all depends on the situation at hand. Clothing needs to be as versatile as the man wearing it, providing for comfort as well as functionality.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:24:31 PM »
I'd like to see some really imaginative people completely rethink basic items of clothing.  I don't think I'll ever wear a kilt [millions sigh in relief], but I like that sort of outside-the-box thinking.

I had a college roommate who was into bicycle racing, and I wondered what was special about the cycling shorts he wore.  He showed me that they were assembled with seams in entirely different places than normal shorts, to minimize irritation where the pants rubbed against the bicycle seat.  That's the sort of rethinking I mean -- first figure out what you want the item of clothing to do, and then design it from scratch to do that.  Maybe for some purposes you wouldn't even want clothing recognizable as "pants", "shirt", etc.

...as versatile as the man wearing it, providing for comfort as well as functionality.

Three and a half hours and still no rude comments.  I'm so disappointed with this group. 8)

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »
I'd like to see some really imaginative people completely rethink basic items of clothing.  I don't think I'll ever wear a kilt [millions sigh in relief], but I like that sort of outside-the-box thinking.

I had a college roommate who was into bicycle racing, and I wondered what was special about the cycling shorts he wore.  He showed me that they were assembled with seams in entirely different places than normal shorts, to minimize irritation where the pants rubbed against the bicycle seat.  That's the sort of rethinking I mean -- first figure out what you want the item of clothing to do, and then design it from scratch to do that.  Maybe for some purposes you wouldn't even want clothing recognizable as "pants", "shirt", etc.

I wear compression or biking shorts when I do long hikes.  I started doing this in the military.  At the end of a road march, yeah. . my feet hurt, but it was the chafing  where the pants rubbed against the inside of my thighs that was worse.

I include a couple pair in my kits, just in case.

The Professor

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »
I wear compression or biking shorts when I do long hikes.  I started doing this in the military.  At the end of a road march, yeah. . my feet hurt, but it was the chafing  where the pants rubbed against the inside of my thighs that was worse.

I include a couple pair in my kits, just in case.

The Professor

I was with a group of jarheads who used to wear pantyhose for this reason. They also claimed that it kept the chiggers from getting to your skin. I never had a problem with chafing and used DEET to keep off chiggers so have never went the pantyhose route personally but they all swore by them. Anyways posted this because they are probably cheaper and lighter to carry than compression shorts. If ya do have problems with chafing, you may try some powder down there, been using it since high school and may be why I don't have chafing problems.

Offline redneck

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 06:48:18 PM »
Another military trick that we did across the pond was take a short length of wire and slide it behind the name tag on the uniform or in the fold of the button flap.  It is great if you get caught, because they normally will not find it on a pat down.  A razor blade taped flat under the insole of your boot (near the heal is best) to seal the deal. 

On the hillbilly side I normally put a fish hook or two between the Velcro head band on the back of my ball caps.

BTY I loved the camo kilt. 

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »
I have to say that I believe I would never be comfortable in a kilt. In addition, I do not believe anyone would be comfortable seeing me in one, either. As a public service, I always wear pants of some type. When I an working in the yard or on the BOL, I always wear bib coveralls. They are very comfortable and they spare the world from my BC.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »
Thanks Redneck! At least someone who wasn't talking about compression shorts and pantyhose took the time to recognize a cool looking kilt! ;D
Hey, you guys can think all you want to about the kilt! I couldn't give a rat's ass...even if I knew where to find one! All I know is that it's a blast to wear, sets you apart from the baggy shorts crowd, and pisses off the other men because they are getting less attention from their women than the man in the kilt is getting. And when it comes to making new friends, it's been great. People who would not otherwise engage you in a conversation want to know the story behind it and under it...if you get my drift! ;D

If any of you are brave enough: check out the Utilikilts website @ www.utilikilts.com
Let me know if you decide to order one so that I can get credit for sending them a new customer!

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 10:19:48 PM »
Hey TexDaddy...you could invent the Bib-Kilt...you may start a fashion revolution.    ;)

Seriously...even if I was inclined to wear one Utilikilts seems like they are a bit on the salty side for my budget...I would need to have my wife make one.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 10:33:58 PM »
I couldn't give a rat's ass...even if I knew where to find one!

Here ya go!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/products.php?defid=109716
http://www.cafepress.com/ratsass
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Don-t-Give-A-Rats-Ass-Posters_i1702596_.htm
http://www.lundegaard.com/catalog/rats-ass-coin-p24.html   
 I may actually get one of these to go with the  Round Tuit my wife got me after asking me to fix the dryer for the (if you believe her) hundredth time and I said "When I get a round to it!!"
http://www.myrtlewoodgallery.com/get_a_round_tuit.htm

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 07:25:24 AM »
Too funny Survivor!! ;D  I'll be checkin' it out!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
Hey TexDaddy...you could invent the Bib-Kilt...

A.K.A. the Dress.  Women get all the best clothing designs. 8)

But seriously, aside from societal expectations, why not a dress-style article of clothing for men?  It could be very useful in some situations.

One of the limitations of any clothing item that relies on a waistband or belt to hold it up is that you must have a part of your body somewhere above the hips that has a smaller circumference than your hips.  For me, that spot is my neck.  Most pants don't look good belted around the neck.  It also makes IWB carry notably uncomfortable.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 09:31:28 AM »
Just say "no" to tights.

The Professor

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »
Just say "no" to tights.

The Professor

And the cod piece!

Offline Klonus

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »
Hey TexDaddy...you could invent the Bib-Kilt...you may start a fashion revolution.    ;)

Seriously...even if I was inclined to wear one Utilikilts seems like they are a bit on the salty side for my budget...I would need to have my wife make one.

I think the kilt is pretty cool but wouldn't a "bib-kilt" really be just a dress? Lol.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »
...One of the limitations of any clothing item that relies on a waistband or belt to hold it up is that you must have a part of your body somewhere above the hips that has a smaller circumference than your hips.  For me, that spot is my neck.
I feel your pain, brother. You and me both.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
For me, that spot is my neck.  Most pants don't look good belted around the neck.  It also makes IWB carry notably uncomfortable.

ROFLMAO

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 10:43:33 AM »

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 04:50:17 PM »
Thanks for the kilt links Archer!  :)
Although not for everyone, you'll never know until you get up the guts to wear one yourself. I am very tempted to work on the bib kilt mentioned previously in this thread!
 I have several Utilikilts, but their prices just keep going up. And I have a couple of Sportkilts, which you will find on many of the men doing the highland games at festivals. They are well made in Long Beach,CA., and a decent price.
Practikilt is new on the scene, and I like what I see on their site.

Occeltic

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 06:29:10 PM »
Here's a thought - a practical bandolier?

Molle compatible.

Space for some mag pouches, a cell phone pouch, and a wallet pouch.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 06:41:10 PM »
My wife does not want to see me in a kilt. Once was enough for her (but I'd love to get another one). Here is a pic at my younger brothers wedding at the SoCal Ren Faire: I am the one in the middle:

We were wearing 7 yard kilts made from his Wife's clan tartan. No sewing! I was afraid all day of loosing it.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »
I was with a group of jarheads who used to wear pantyhose for this reason. They also claimed that it kept the chiggers from getting to your skin. I never had a problem with chafing and used DEET to keep off chiggers so have never went the pantyhose route personally but they all swore by them. Anyways posted this because they are probably cheaper and lighter to carry than compression shorts. If ya do have problems with chafing, you may try some powder down there, been using it since high school and may be why I don't have chafing problems.

maybe that was their story... pantyhose to prevent chafing and to deter chiggers.... [snorts] I would never have suspected it of a bunch of marines. Did they go for the vibrant colors? compare brands? Complain about the sizing?

Sorry... I'm weird... just found this particular item funny :)