Author Topic: Sugar Addiction  (Read 25321 times)

Offline forestgarden

• Prepper
Sugar Addiction
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Don't know how many of you are working with, or even aware of sugar addiction, but I have recently had an interesting experience.  I have been working to reduce my sugar intake for several years and have mostly gotten it down to a small amount.  The final piece which has taken a while to get o is a fascinating connection.  Several months ago I decided to clear up a toe fungus which had been there for, uh, decades?  I have been using tea tree oil every night applied topically on the toes and upper feet.  If you can't stand tea tree oil there are other treatments.  Anyway, the fungus is visually gone and I am continuing the treatment just to make good and sure it is gone, and I've noticed my need/ desire for sweets had decreased. 

There are many things I have done on this journey to let go of sugar, and I feel this is the final piece.  It makes sense to me as I sense the fungus was partially or wholly needing the sugar to survive. 

Anyway, I am delighted at the new developments. 

cowdog

Re: Sugar Addiction
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 02:32:16 PM »
Delighted to hear of your good experience.
My wife recently got off the sugar. She feels terrible--headaches, irritable, listless etc. Did this happen to you?

I am addicted to sugar in my coffee, and I drink lots of coffee.  :-[

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 03:15:52 PM »
I have read that sugar is the most addictive substance on earth. Congratulations on getting a hold of that one.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 03:29:15 PM »
Delighted to hear of your good experience.
My wife recently got off the sugar. She feels terrible--headaches, irritable, listless etc. Did this happen to you?

I am addicted to sugar in my coffee, and I drink lots of coffee.  :-[
I was a heavy sugar hog.
Two or three giant sodas every day. Doughnuts at work. A candy bar almost every afternoon.
Then I had a head injury and I went over a year with headaches, irritable, listless, plus an almost complete loss of appetite. When I came out of that crazy tunnel I found I had not only lost my desire for sweet stuff, I'm somewhat repelled by it.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:15:54 PM »
Congrats indeed.

I'll have to try the tea tree oil, as my left big toe has been fungusy for a while too.

As for sugar, I have a sweet tooth a mile wide and about twice that high! Other than I used to drink diet cola (down to maybe once a week), HoC sounds like me. I definitely need to cut sugar the heck out of my life.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »
I wont argue that most of us get too much sugar in our diet. But cutting it out entirely is not a good thing either in fact its necessary for proper brain function. And let me get this straight forestgarden, you believe that a toe fungus was somehow making you crave sugar in order for it to survive?.

Offline USAFRaven

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 05:45:40 AM »
you believe that a toe fungus was somehow making you crave sugar in order for it to survive?.

Not to be a jerk or mock anybody, But that is pretty damn funny. 
Oh and OP, grats on kicking something you felt was an addiction.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 09:14:43 AM »
oh, I have a nasty addiction to sugar.  :(
it used to be much worse, but a semester spent in Italy cured me of most of it.  Don't get me wrong, the Italiani have dolce (sweets): the patisseries and gelatarias (oh, Italian gelato.... my mouth waters for the taste.  One day I will return for my gelato.  but I digress) are on every corner and have flavors to delight the tongue in so many varieties.  But they were not sugary.  I remember having a sugar craving so bad, and walking into a what-do-they-call-them-in-Italian? - a lunch bar, and there were some sugared donuts.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  I immedietly spent some of my meager student cash and bit in, expecting the sweet sugar rush to my tongue.  I almost spit it out.  the only sugar, I swear!, was on the top.  Well, after that, I no longer craved it.
I came home and still, 12 years later, get sick from too much sugar.  I will voluntarily stop eating when I know I have had too much.
But I still get sugar cravings.  and so I do not keep sweets in the house, and unfortunately for my children, almost never bake cookies or brownies and we only have desserts on nights we have beans (bribes!)
so congrats to you for kicking it to the curb.

I wont argue that most of us get too much sugar in our diet. But cutting it out entirely is not a good thing either in fact its necessary for proper brain function. And let me get this straight forestgarden, you believe that a toe fungus was somehow making you crave sugar in order for it to survive?.

you could easily cut out white sugar and HFCS (pronounced "HiF-CuSs" in my house) completely and as long as you are eating fresh fruit and honey or maple sugar occasionally, you will have plenty of sugar in your system for brain functions.
And yes, fungus feeds on sugar.  So it is possible that the fungus was grabbing all the sugar out of the bloodstream to survive, leaving none in your body for the rest of you.  So then your body craved more sugar for its functioning (and its addiction), so you would eat more.  cyclical.
There is a great book called "Get the Sugar out" that has a lot of information about sugar and how to reduce your intake.  http://www.amazon.com/Get-Sugar-Out-Simple-Ways/dp/0517886537

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »

you could easily cut out white sugar and HFCS (pronounced "HiF-CuSs" in my house) completely and as long as you are eating fresh fruit and honey or maple sugar occasionally, you will have plenty of sugar in your system for brain functions.
And yes, fungus feeds on sugar.  So it is possible that the fungus was grabbing all the sugar out of the bloodstream to survive, leaving none in your body for the rest of you.  So then your body craved more sugar for its functioning (and its addiction), so you would eat more.  cyclical.
There is a great book called "Get the Sugar out" that has a lot of information about sugar and how to reduce your intake.  http://www.amazon.com/Get-Sugar-Out-Simple-Ways/dp/0517886537

From what I have read on the subject there is a wide debate over what is the "correct" amount of sugar for proper brain functioning. Everybody seems to agree though that the brain doesnt like highs or lows, it likes a nice steady supply of moderate sugar intake. Sodas, alot of the oversugared processed foods give your brain a harsh spike of blood sugar and then leave it starving for more after a few hours which gives you the crash. I know I have recently started becoming aware of my sugar intake primarily as a way to lose weight and am working to cutting down my sugar intake. I pretty much agree with you getting rid of the refined white sugar and high fructose corn syrup and replacing it with fruit and more natural forms of sugar are a great start.

The fungus thing I think is a bunch of hooey. And why is this in the "back yard food production" forum? Dont we have some kind of health sub form we could move this too?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:01:09 PM by Spamity Calamity »

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »
hey - look what I found on youtube... interesting!!!

Jorge Cruise's Film DEATH BY SUGAR

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:34:43 PM »
And why is this in the "back yard food production" forum? Dont we have some kind of health sub form we could move this too?

Backyard Food Production is the name of a company (notice that this is in the TSP Marketplace).  That company belongs to ForestGarden, and they decided that this post belonged here.  Since they're the moderator of this board, I don't see any reason why it should not be here.  :)

Also, just for scientific knowledge (which I'm sure you're interested in), certain kinds of fungal infections, and/or yeast infections can most definitely make you crave sugar - particularly Candida albicans.  There are also certain conditions that can cause both sugar cravings, and susceptibility to fungal infections (insulin resistance, for example).

HTH.

Offline sclindah

• Prepper
  • Garden Harvest
    • Harper Happenings
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »
I have gone through sugar withdrawal going off sugar so I can second the notion of a sugar addiction.  Everyone can verify this by trying to go without any or sugar laden products.  It can lead to headaches and a sick feeling not to mention cravings for it.  It lasts 3-4 days and then subsides.  One of our other bad things is the high fructose corn syrup.  We get fructose naturally in sugars but this stuff is a big reason for obesity in the US.

As far as your brain needing sugar, it needs glucose which is converted by the breakdown of foods and we can get enough without sugar!

As a type II diabetic, I have found it is better to avoid the spikes and let the body use the whole grains and real foods in making whatever glucose we need.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 05:34:40 PM »
As far as your brain needing sugar, it needs glucose which is converted by the breakdown of foods and we can get enough without sugar!

Absolutely true.  Glucose is your brain's preferred source of energy, but if you don't have enough high-glucose foods in your diet (namely, carbohydrates & sugars), it will resort to using protein to get its glucose (which isn't necessarily a good thing, because proteins are needed desperately to carry out other functions - but it probably won't seriously harm you... probably...).  It isn't just your brain that loves glucose, though, it's also the ONLY energy source that works for your red blood cells (RBC's) and your central nervous system (CNS).

Glucose is a super important energy source for our bodies, but you don't have to get it from the sugar we all used to pour on our cherrios.  Personally, I love sugar, and I won't stop eating it when I think I deserve a little treat.  But for those who have kicked the habit, and have found that they don't miss it, GOOD FOR YOU!  :)

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »
Backyard Food Production is the name of a company (notice that this is in the TSP Marketplace).  That company belongs to ForestGarden, and they decided that this post belonged here.  Since they're the moderator of this board, I don't see any reason why it should not be here.  :)

Also, just for scientific knowledge (which I'm sure you're interested in), certain kinds of fungal infections, and/or yeast infections can most definitely make you crave sugar - particularly Candida albicans.  There are also certain conditions that can cause both sugar cravings, and susceptibility to fungal infections (insulin resistance, for example).

HTH.

It does look like certain fungal infections actually cause a craving for yeast and sugar. Huh go figure. So I guess forestgardens belief that her toe fungus made her/him crave sugar.  I think alot of us can and should cut down on sugar but I still dont see any good reason for cutting it out of your diet entirely.

The youtube video is not very interesting. It simply shows you that shoving 200 grams of sugar down your throat is not good for your body. I agree. What is interesting is that the video comes to the conclusion that all sugar is bad for you when really its the amount of it more than anything. I think calling something that can be changed by a simple diet change an "addiction" is as overboard as the title of the video "Death by Sugar".

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »
What's the story with honey?  Good sugar or bad?

I need to get beehives...

J

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 06:44:12 PM »
I think alot of us can and should cut down on sugar but I still dont see any good reason for cutting it out of your diet entirely.

I agree with this 100% completely and absolutely.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 08:45:56 PM »
I can't say I was addicted to sugar, but I sure liked it.  And I never realized how much of it I ate and drank.

Then, to lose a few more pounds so I can be in tip-top shape for whatever might be coming, I cut back my refined sugar to almost none this summer.  I've lost 37 pounds.  (Mrs. Heavy G is diggin' it, which is motivation enough my brothers. ;D)  It's slowly come off over 6 months and doesn't seem to be coming back--except during the holidays when I had some sugar.

I'm not an Atkins diet freak or anything.  Just no refined sugar and almost no potatoes (which turn into sugar about 10 seconds after you eat them). 

I noticed that now things like apples and even V8 juice taste really sweet.  And a piece of candy is almost unbearably sweet.

I view refined sugar now like a poison.  I don't mean it is really a poison, I just look at it that way.

Now if I can just trick myself that mayonnaise is poison.  Naw.  Never gonna happen.   

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
I'm not an Atkins diet freak or anything.  Just no refined sugar and almost no potatoes (which turn into sugar about 10 seconds after you eat them).  

I noticed that now things like apples and even V8 juice taste really sweet.  And a piece of candy is almost unbearably sweet.

That's where I am with sweets.
I still eat bread and rice but try to go with whole or wild grains whenever possible.
But anything sweet like candy or sodas is just too much for me.

I can handle a little honey on a peanut butter sandwich.
That doesn't address KYdoomer's question, but I find it odd that I can handle honey but jelly is too sweet.

edited fer speeling
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:17:00 AM by Hare of Caerbannog »

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »
There are many things I have done on this journey to let go of sugar, and I feel this is the final piece.  It makes sense to me as I sense the fungus was partially or wholly needing the sugar to survive.

That's also why skin infections in diabetics are so dangerous.  The high level of sugar in their cells causes bacteria to grow like crazy.

Offline forestgarden

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
Now I knew that some of you would just jump out there and not consider the whole of what I had written.  Letting go of the addiction to sugar has been a multi-year journey starting first with cutting out refined flour products like bread, pasta, and cookies.  (Refined flour gets digested so quickly it is essentially sugar in your body).  Then cutting out refined sugar.  Then cutting back on almost everything sweet - semi-sweet chocolate being very difficult to let go of.  And the last being honey. 

Nothing is ever done in isolation and of course while working on the sugar part, I have been increasing the quality of my other foods - much more fresh fruits and veggies, almost all locally grown, and many of them grown by myself.  High quality meats, including more organs.  Fresh air and exercise too.  And a lifestyle choice of 'No I am not going to rush, rush, rush anymore". 

And yes, I do think there is a correlation between the toe fungus and the sugar.  The fungus is like a parasite that has its demands.  Cause or effect, I can't say, but getting rid of a toe fungus is a great thing to do anyway.  Why keep supporting that?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
Now I knew that some of you would just jump out there and not consider the whole of what I had written.  Letting go of the addiction to sugar has been a multi-year journey starting first with cutting out refined flour products like bread, pasta, and cookies.  (Refined flour gets digested so quickly it is essentially sugar in your body).  Then cutting out refined sugar.  Then cutting back on almost everything sweet - semi-sweet chocolate being very difficult to let go of.  And the last being honey. 

Nothing is ever done in isolation and of course while working on the sugar part, I have been increasing the quality of my other foods - much more fresh fruits and veggies, almost all locally grown, and many of them grown by myself.  High quality meats, including more organs.  Fresh air and exercise too.  And a lifestyle choice of 'No I am not going to rush, rush, rush anymore". 

And yes, I do think there is a correlation between the toe fungus and the sugar.  The fungus is like a parasite that has its demands.  Cause or effect, I can't say, but getting rid of a toe fungus is a great thing to do anyway.  Why keep supporting that?

I have a couple of questions regarding your journey away from sugar.  I mean them very, very respectfully, so I hope you don't think I'm being snotty.

#1)  Why did you stop eating breads, and pastas?

#2) What is it about having *any* easily digested sugar (such as refined flour) in your body that bothers you?  Your body, particularly your brain and your CNS, and your RBCs use glucose, which is almost wholly derived from carbohydrates (breads and pastas), as their only source or almost only source of energy.  Unless you're taking some kind of supplement that has glucose in it, or is comprised only of glucose (like glucose tablets), quitting bread (particularly whole grain) entirely is *not* good for you.  At all.  Any educated nutritionist will tell you that.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »
SW... just speaking for myself, I think the emphasis is on "refined flour" breads and pastas and cookeis... that crummy bleached white stuff will keep you from starving, but sure isn't as good for you as the homeground flour. I know that is where I try to focus my efforts when I'm trying to improve my diet. Those are my weaknesses... in books that I have read about trying to reduce insulin sensitivity, returning to a diet that is lower glycemic will most likely mean returning to foods closer to the way God made them... less processing.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:45:32 PM »
awesome answer, thank you.  :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 08:07:52 AM »
This is a bit off-topic, but a useful home remedy for toe fungus is putting Vick's mentholatum on the affected area every night before bed (takes a long time, but is very effective). No bad side effects I can think of (unlike those TV-touted remedies with all sorts of potential very bad side-effects).

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:06 AM »

SW... just speaking for myself, I think the emphasis is on "refined flour" breads and pastas and cookeis... that crummy bleached white stuff will keep you from starving, but sure isn't as good for you as the homeground flour. I know that is where I try to focus my efforts when I'm trying to improve my diet. Those are my weaknesses... in books that I have read about trying to reduce insulin sensitivity, returning to a diet that is lower glycemic will most likely mean returning to foods closer to the way God made them... less processing.

Ditto for me.  I'm not trying to have absolutely no sugar, just a much lower glycemic diet.  And I've lost a lot of weight and kept it off this way.

Offline GreatScot!

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 06:31:50 AM »
I agree with this 100% completely and absolutely.
I know I'm several months late in getting in on this little discussion, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth, that being - rather than completely eliminate something that I have a taste for that might be "bad" for me, take a more moderate approach. From bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, to 18 year old scotch - Moderation is the key!

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:39 AM »
I have LIVED no sugar.  It is amazing.

When I first got married I discovered that my new wife suffered from severe hypoglycemia.  I learned about it the first time I was sitting on the toilet and she crashed into the tub while she was showering next to me.  She literally blacked out and became unconscious.  Very scary. She told me it happened frequently.

Then in 1986 I read a book call Sugar Blues.  (Amazon link)  That book changed our lives.

I resolved for one solid year to eat NO sugar and to avoid high glycemic index foods.  I did it.

It was amazing.  I suffered withdrawal symptoms for a month, but it was worth it.  Within 3 months carrots began to taste like candy.  Corn was unbearably sweet.  A sip of Coke made me nauseous.

I can't explain how your body changes.  It would be like trying to explain what walking feels like to a person bound to a wheelchair from birth.  A person must experience it to understand.

Humans developed for 100,000 years without refined sugar or processed grains.  Our bodies are specifically designed to maintain proper blood glucose levels from eating only complex carbohydrates, fat, and protein.

I DARE EACH OF YOU to try it for three months.  It's very simple.  Eat nothing with sweetener added.  Avoid anything white (tortillas, pancakes, cornbread, loaf bread, etc).

No artificial sweeteners such as Cyclamate, Saccharin, Aspartame, or Sucralose.  The idea is to stop killing your sense of taste the way a Heroin addict kills their sense of pleasure.

You will be amazed when your taste buds reawaken.  All foods will taste better.

Offline tamo42

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Primal Prepper
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »
+1 for no sugars.  Yes, your glucose (usually) runs on glucose, but the amount necessary is so small (approx 1 tsp circulating in your blood), you certainly don't need sugar or bread to get it.  Eating your veggies will provide all the carbs you need.  I don't eat sugars, grains, or legumes while I do eat lots of meat, veggies, fruits, fish, and tons of high quality animal fat.  This has allowed me to effortlessly lose 45 pounds in the past year.

Sugar is absolutely an addiction, and it takes many forms.  The insulin cycle that gives you that first rush and leaves you crashed 2 hours later is the same thing that happens when taking any other sort of addictive substance.  The progressive resistance is the same, too.  You need more and more to achieve the same high.

Offline GreatScot!

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
Congrats Tamo42 on the weight loss. That's a battle I am facing. What is high quality animal fat? does this mean my rib eye off the grill is really OK. And seriously, where do my poppers and scotch fit into your diet?

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 01:05:44 PM »

Eat nothing with sweetener added. 

Splenda is your friend.  Tons of foods come "No Sugar Added."  It's relatively easy to find food that doesn't have sugar added.