Author Topic: Sugar Addiction  (Read 23313 times)

Offline tamo42

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Primal Prepper
Re: Sugar Addiction
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
Congrats Tamo42 on the weight loss. That's a battle I am facing. What is high quality animal fat? does this mean my rib eye off the grill is really OK. And seriously, where do my poppers and scotch fit into your diet?

Thanks very much :)

High quality animal fat, to me, means fats from animals that have grown up in an environment that they are well adapted to.  This is actually a pretty broad category.  Basically, if it's from a cow, did that cow live like cows are supposed to live?  If so, it should be great.  If it was stuck in a pen, standing in its own waste, and was fed a diet of 50% corn that a grass-eating mammal can't digest probably, then not so much.

I just got back from the market, and here's a sampling of what I got: wild shrimp, wild mackeral, uncured bacon from heritage-breed Berkshire hogs, cage-free chicken breast & drumsticks & sausage, grass-fed bison steak & ground (beef would be fine, but bison tastes better to me), and my experiment of the week is goat stew meat.  A nice fatty ribeye would absolutely be OK to me.  Sometimes I'll get a nice fat piece of lamb shoulder.  Bacon wrapped jalapeno peppers sound pretty tasty too.  Personally, I don't eat much dairy if you are stuffing them with cheese.  It's the very sad price I pay for being lactose intolerant.

BTW, I also fry everything in my rendered Berkshire lard or bacon grease.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »
Splenda is your friend.

Sorry, no.  It's not.

The idea is to break the addiction to sweetness in order to allow the person's sense of taste to return to normal.

Artificial sweeteners prolong the addiction and prevent recovery.   It's like a Heroin addict switching to Methadone.  They still aren't free.  They still haven't become normal.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »
Splenda is your friend.  Tons of foods come "No Sugar Added."  It's relatively easy to find food that doesn't have sugar added.

Artificial sweeteners give me a raging headache... so I have to either do the real sugar thing, or no sweetness at all :) I do occasionally test it out, but it was still the same last time I tried a diet soda. Happily, I can do quite well without soda at all, so no great loss. It seems far harder to do without all the homemade sweet things...

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 11:17:16 AM »
I was a heavy sugar hog.
Two or three giant sodas every day. Doughnuts at work. A candy bar almost every afternoon.
Then I had a head injury and I went over a year with headaches, irritable, listless, plus an almost complete loss of appetite. When I came out of that crazy tunnel I found I had not only lost my desire for sweet stuff, I'm somewhat repelled by it.

I'm all about getting away from sugar... okay, I'm about 90% with you guys on getting away from sugar ;D 

BUT... I sure hope I don't have to go through THAT to get there!
~CRCJ

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
That's also why skin infections in diabetics are so dangerous.  The high level of sugar in their cells causes bacteria to grow like crazy.
My dad has Type 2 diabetes - he got a MRSA infection in his finger last year. When he was admitted, his sugar was at 600 and his A1C was 16. If you know what those numbers mean, you already know he was in bad shape. He's now fine and back down to 6-7 with medication. He did leave 1/2 the finger at the hospital (amputation).

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »
Artificial sweeteners give me a raging headache... so I have to either do the real sugar thing, or no sweetness at all :) I do occasionally test it out, but it was still the same last time I tried a diet soda. Happily, I can do quite well without soda at all, so no great loss. It seems far harder to do without all the homemade sweet things...

Lvs, two idea for you: Stevia (the actual ground up natural herb, not the refined commercial stuff) and/or miracle fruit. Either one is genuinely natural and except for in cases of an allergy shouldn't cause you a problem. And you can grow them, too!

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 10:11:43 PM »
I used to have a raging sweet tooth as well. I went on a diet that did not include them except for occasionally, and switched to diet pepsi (still not good for me I know). I followed the diet for quite some time, lost a lot of weight. Now, I have days when I crave sugar, you gals will know what I mean, but for the most part, it gives me a stomach ache if I consume too much. I mostly only eat whole grains when I do eat them, but try to stick with meats, fruits and veggies. I find that if I eat too much "stuff" with refined flour or sugar it makes me sick feeling. I would never go no sugar as I do know our bodies need it, in moderation, just like everything else in life.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
My Mother was the original healthy eating advocate (probably not really the first) back in the '50s. Soft drinks were rarely in the house, rarely as in she might by a 6 pack of Dr Pepper once a year and since I didn't and still don't like Dr Pepper I never drank any of it. Candy, snack food, junk food etc were never in the house. We all love veggies of almost any sort so we ate lots of them, a salad every night with oil and vinegar or oil and lemon juice dressing. All meats were baked or broiled or boiled, never fried. She did bake a cake or a pie or some brownies occasionally but not all that often. We ate very little bread, not a lot of cheese ( I had never even seen mac and cheese until I moved out, which probably explains why I don't like it), some potatos, usually baked or mashed, with very little butter and the liquid to mash them was usually the water they were cooked in with just a smidge of milk. I never developed a sugar addiction and to this day I get tired of sweets very easily. I never thought I was missing anything so I never felt deprived in any way. Looking back now I'm really really glad I got a good start. Of course then I got out in the real world and discovered most people thought I was nuts and refused to live on that diet and to this day DH and I battle. I feed him a healthy meal and he's immediately looking for junk food for dessert, even with the diabetes.