Author Topic: So you want to lose some weight? Buy a Wii!!  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
So you want to lose some weight? Buy a Wii!!
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:10:24 PM »
Hey folkz,
I just wanted to chime in and share some recent developments at the old Mr. Blank compound. For Saturnalia, my wife wanted a Wii balance board. I was a bit sceptical at first...yet another piece of expensive tecnocrap that we don't need and won't use, but I bit the bullet because she really wanted one, and hell....she's my wife, and I bought one. She has been rumbling about dropping a few pounds (despite my constant assurance of her perfect state of deliciousness), so I picked her up a copy of Wii Active as well. We already had a Wii, but if I had included that, the entire package would have been around $250 for the Wii and everything mentioned.

I must admit...the Wii kicks ass! It has gotten EVERYONE in the house involved and exercising. The activities range from fun games (like skateboarding and skiing) to serious workout routines. It plans things, keeps track of calories, mixes up routines, and just about everything needed to keep it fun, entertaining, and totally addictive. in addition to all the fun, it really gets results. I have been doing the Kung fu game, yoga, some boxing routines, and other good stuff for the last 5 days and I have dropped 4.5 pounds (I know because the balance board weighs me :P).

Instead of TV or sedentary computer junk, the whole family is up and moving. This sunday we has the Wii going for 11 hours...no shit. If you or a family member are thinking about dropping a few pounds and want the psudo-fun of a gym and outdoor activities right in the comfort of your livingroom...buy a Wii, the balance board, and Wii Active. It is a perfect way to get off your ass.

You'll love it...I promise.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:44:04 PM by Mr. Blank »

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: So you want to lose some weight? Buy a Wii!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »
my radioactive communist zombie bee bear... er mother in law got us one for Christmas.  i bought my wife the wii fit plus balance board bundle.  

the kung fu kicked my ass. and the damn thing made fun of me and nailed me for sitting Indian style in chairs :(  although it did applaud me for having a normal BMI

yes wii fit makes fun of you..

and yes i wanted to kick its ass

and yes.......i failed at doing so

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:12:37 AM »
I've had one for about 6 months now but I was loathe to admit it here because it is one of those purchases that I definitely didn't need to survive.

However you are absolutely correct about the workouts.  Believe it or not the yoga is the worst of it.  Strength training was no problem for me but the yoga had me contorting like crazy.  After a few weeks I had abs again.  Not a six pack but a two pack and a mini keg or something like that.  I felt better at work, had less leg and foot pain.  It really is a secret plot to get you in shape while having fun. 

J

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »
I can attest to this too. The Wii is awesome! It makes working out fun. Lots of doctors have also been using it for rehab therapy and low impact workouts at senior centers. However, you can push it pretty hard if you want to and take the initiative.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2008-02-08-wii-rehabilitation_N.htm