Author Topic: Tumble versus Pan lube  (Read 3946 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Tumble versus Pan lube
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:50:15 PM »
Happened to follow a link to Youtube, and saw something about pan lubing..  I watched a few examples,.. and seemed interesting.

Is there a benefit from pan lubing over tumble?  And while I know I don't have to stand up my bullets, is there a fast way to do so when you tumble?

Offline bladesmith

• Survivor
Re: Tumble versus Pan lube
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »
i have done both but have found in the long run that pan lubeing has produced better accuracy in rifle bullets.  Before anyone jumps on me about this i need to explain.  When tumbleing bullets bounce off of each other and get little dings in them if you ding the base of a bullet that is not a gas checked bullet it will cause it to fly.  This has been tested extensively with long range bullets out of my 45-90 sharps rifle.  I have found the easiest way is to set the bullets in a pan base down melt thee lube in a double boiler and pour it in.  i then let it set up to where it isn't runny anymore i then place the pan in the refrigerator for about 30  min.  then i dump the whole block out containing the bullets.  then punch them out useing your thumb on the nose of the bullet.  i place a towel folded up at least four thicknesses on the table.  I then pick them up and place them in a styrofoam tray after i punch each one out.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:59:54 PM »
I would tend to agree with bladesmith. 

Basically we're talking about two different types of bullets -

Pan lubing is an alternative for lubing traditional "grease groove" bullets for people who do not use a luber/sizer combo.  Traditional hard lube with a beeswax base is what is used.

Tumble lubing is primarily used on "micro groove" bullets from Lee "TL" molds.  Instead of the one or two wide deep grooves, the whole side of the bullet has small ring depressions/ridges one is that liquid alox lube is spread thinly across by tumbling. 

I've used tumble lube bullets and still do in 45 and 44- very satisfactory.  I also use traditional lube bullets in these calibers as well as 9mm and the only rifle I cast for (45-70 govt).   I don't pan lube though, instead I size and lube through my  RCBS and a Star lube/sizers.

Offline r1kk1

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 07:21:31 AM »
Tumble lubes are available from Lee, LsStuff, and Rooster Laboratories. If you think about the "lowly" .22 caliber rimfire cartridge, you will see a waxy coating that is either dipped or tumble lubed bullets. Bullseye shooters are using Rooster's lube for their .45acps and even .32s and .38 style trashcan bullets. I use Felix lube or a derivative of the same lube for pan lubing or putting into action through the Lyman lubrisizer. I tumble lube, or pan lube or use the Lyman at different times. When I pan lube or tumble I like to use the Lee bullet sizing dies. If I cannot acquire a die needed for a particular bullet diameter, I pan lube and use the custom Lee dies. If I can, I'll use the Lyman. If I'm load testing and got a weird idea, I tumble lube.

take care,

r1kk1