Author Topic: Work Situation  (Read 2611 times)

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
Work Situation
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »
I have my first interview for a "real" job -full time with benefits -in ages tomorrow. Fingers crossed that I get it. My current job is going downhill fast. I'm part-time there (though working 40 hours right now because of the craziness). My boss is wildly erratic and things are getting worse and worse. She fired one of the few competent people we have and brought in someone who does NOT need to be working in this type of environment. In the last six weeks, in addition to everything else, we've had two hostage situations (one of them at knifepoint) and the other one I walked into on my shift. Get this: two of the residents took another resident captive and held her against her will all weekend in her room (except when they took her up to get her meds) and NONE of the weekend staff noticed. Neither did the girl who worked day shift on Monday (this was over the recent holiday). I got to work on Monday and it took me 15 minutes to ascertain that something was wrong, and 30 more for STHTF. I was ready to quit before I left that night. And I was afraid one of these two was going to attack me before the cops got there -and I've got no means of defending myself while on duty. I can lose my job for having mace or a dazzler in my car, much less on my person (thankfully, they've never searched my car) and I almost got wrote up once for the pen knife on my keychain. All of the residents are women, yes, but I'm a small woman -I don't break 5' unless I'm in shoes.

I'm starting to be really concerned for my personal safety, and I can't afford to leave this job right now. My family needs the money too bad. So, I'm looking for another job and am wondering if maybe one of you other ladies has any suggestions as to what I can do to help until then. Thaks.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Work Situation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 02:29:55 PM »
I can understand how it feels to "Need" a job.  Just think of this.  What would your family do if one of those situations turned violent and you where heart.  or heaven forbid if they turned deadly.

keep looking and get out of there. 

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:48:54 AM »
Be careful! That does not sound like a healthy work situation but I understand your position. Too often we stop listening to the voice in our heads that states how something is dangerous or unhealthy for us, good for you for continuing to listen to that voice. Keep you head up and your wits about you!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:46:40 AM »
Just wondering about followup... how did it go, Summer98? Hoping you are into a better work situation now.

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:05:23 AM »
I'm out of there now, and have a temp job in a call center. I'm trying to get my business up and running. We'll see how that goes.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »
Glad to hear it... best of luck on your business!