Author Topic: Any chance for a sequel?  (Read 5458 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Any chance for a sequel?
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:51:27 AM »
I got the DVD for Christmas and watched it the other day.  As others said, lots of good information.

It got me thinking, are there any plans on doing sequels?  I'm not overly interested in the animal part, but I'd love to see a more in depth study of the garden portion of the DVD.  And I'm sure there are others that have less of an interest in the plants but would like to see more of the animal parts.

Thanks

Offline forestgarden

• Prepper
Re: Any chance for a sequel?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:55:48 AM »
Well,

Yes and no, for a sequel.  It took a lot of time to fully develop the material that went into the first one, so please don't think this is coming that quickly.  LOL.  And no, we won't be doing more videos that cover the material we've already presented.  The niche we thought was valuable, and we wanted to put out there, was being able to 'grok' the whole system, to see a demonstration of what a complete system looked and felt like.  What are the most important items to focus on, how long does it realistically take, how much land area?, where should you begin?  that sort of thing.  There are many references - tons more than we put in - that can help you with the details.  I don't feel it necessary to duplicate the many fine works on gardening, animal husbandry, etc.  Really, there is a lot out there.  Check out Acres USA, or The Permaculture Activist  for a list of more books and videos on specifics than you can shake a stick at. 

And yes, I am considering another video.  But it will be new and origonal material that has not been covered anywhere else.  Quite frankly, I am not sure how ready people are for what I plan to bring forward, so the timing is not that crucial to me at the moment.  Well, folks on this board might be ready...  But I won't put anything out unless I feel I have something very meaningful and unique to offer. 

Listening to Jack regularly, you are already way ahead of the game. 

Marjory

Offline keepitlow

• Banned Scumbag
  • Survivor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »
I got the DVD for Christmas and watched it the other day.  As others said, lots of good information.

It got me thinking, are there any plans on doing sequels?  I'm not overly interested in the animal part, but I'd love to see a more in depth study of the garden portion of the DVD.  And I'm sure there are others that have less of an interest in the plants but would like to see more of the animal parts.

Thanks

Here are few garden books that will breast feed you the info almost as good as the lady on the Backyard Food Production DVD does. BTW, Her vid is OUTSTANDING Highly recommend! 

The self-sufficient suburban garden / by Jeff Ball. BTW, Jeff Ball has lots of vid on growing food, get em at your lib.

Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series) Steve Solomon

Country Wisdom & Know-how

Farming for Self-sufficiency by John and Sally Seymour

Four-Season Harvest:organic vegetables from your home garden all year long.
by Eliot Coleman

To all you non food growers...hoarding food is not the same as being able to produce food. Growing food is essential to living in a post carbon world. So I would suggest anyone interested in survival seriously learn to grow and raise their own food as well as be master foragers if your local is conducive for foraging.

The time to start learning how to grow food was yesterday and the longer you wait the more behind you are.

Take growing fruit trees for instance - they take a few years to get established and produce some meaningful fruit. But many problems can occur during that time and the trees may have to be replaced before established which will add more time to the equation. And to top it off, many fruit trees are biennials...they produce fruit every other year! But if your just getting started you wont know this for a few years will you?

Even with vegetable gardening it may take a couple of seasons to learn the basics and produce quality and meaningful amounts of food to 'try' and live on.

And I can tell you from experience, it is hard to live just on what you grow...especially if you live in the cold zones of the US where you have to grow in short seasons.

Panic is for those not prepared. We develop self confidence by mastering the skills needed to overcome any situation that arises to threaten our life We are in the 'Indian Summer' of a carbon based world. Don't wait until the winter sets in to start work on your preparedness efforts.

...you still have some valuable time left to prepare for what awaits you down the road.

Semper Paratus
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:09:51 PM by keepitlow »

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 06:31:59 PM »
I would love to see a food preservation video on pressure canning, boiling water canning and any other forms of preservation you use

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 07:23:49 PM »
sweethearts mom,

check out the food preps board. There is an entire series of videos on canning that were posted by Granny Miller, a forum member who is very experienced with all sorts of food preps and canning. There is also a lot of information about dehydrating over there as well.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 03:31:29 PM »
very cool thank you