Author Topic: Most reliable, fixable, battle rifle  (Read 7302 times)

Offline longhaul

• Prepper
Most reliable, fixable, battle rifle
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »
Wondering if people have a consensus (doubt it but probably will yield informational discussion!) about what semi-auto rifle is most reliable, least likely to jam, field maintainable, etc.  These might not all be in the same gun - probably.  If not, what do folks think is the all around most bombproof, durable, reliable go-to battle rifle?

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Most reliable, fixable, battle rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:56:19 PM »
The troops are mobilizing on both sides right now.

You just started a war.   ;)

J

Goober Pyle

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 06:00:28 PM »
AK series

Offline chromesoldier

• Survivor
  • When in doubt do it again.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
M1A series
Life isnt a pop quiz you only have one shot at it so give it all you got.--Me

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »
Yes, what a war this shall start. I am a lover of all firearms, especially ones considered battle rifles, but I would say that the most proven, reliable, field maintainable rifle in use to day would be the Kalashnikov or AK rifle and it's variants. Simple to operate, simple to strip, tough as nails.
Not a super accurate gun by any means, but definitely the 4x4 pickup truck of the gun world. 

My Blog:
http://patriotgunandgear.blogspot.com/
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I beat you with until you understand who is in charge."
Jayne from "Firefly"

_________

Offline Peacekeeper1029

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:11:12 PM »
Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -THOMAS JEFFERSON

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:12:40 PM »
Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.
"Hey pal, what ya see is what I got."  ;D

My Blog:
http://patriotgunandgear.blogspot.com/
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I beat you with until you understand who is in charge."
Jayne from "Firefly"

_________

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:26:29 PM »
"Hey pal, what ya see is what I got."  ;D

"You know your weapons, buddy."    :D

Offline Peacekeeper1029

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
The Uzi nine millimeter.  (I think we're out of order, lol)
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -THOMAS JEFFERSON

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 09:44:50 PM »
Wondering if people have a consensus (doubt it but probably will yield informational discussion!) about what semi-auto rifle is most reliable, least likely to jam, field maintainable, etc.  These might not all be in the same gun - probably.  If not, what do folks think is the all around most bombproof, durable, reliable go-to battle rifle?

Im half convinced this is a troll post but ill give you the benefit of the doubt.

Besides everybody but moronic gun snobs know that you cant beat the AK for reliability.  ;D

(lol sorry I had to post a trollish comment because this subject has been done to death)
This is the coolest thing anybody has every said about me at anytime of my life:

There is no way I would find myself in a Zombie attack without you and
Bill by my side. I think you guys are the only two who do not hesitate
to kill and have better survival skills than most. ---Nicki

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:06 PM »
Are we taking "Main Battle Rifle" battle rifles, or "Fighting Rifle" battle rifles?

AK series is highly reliable.  Those Russians had some space age technology that allowed the components to function and interact while not touching each other.  :D  Ignore the fact that "space age" was the 50s and 60s.

Seriously though, whether you go with a variant of the AK, Garand/M1A, FAL, the SIG rifles, CETME, or even the AR, they'll all take a beating.  Some will require more maintenance than others, but they'll all do the trick the vast majority of the time.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 08:16:05 AM »
Top Ten Combat Rifles- AK 47

Most of the other rifles you will see mentioned on this thread will also be discussed in this program.  Look for the links on the right of the youtube page.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 08:38:31 AM »
James Yeager has a nice little podcast of AK vs. AR - It is very informative, and although I own neither, From what I have read an AK always fires.
The Goatpocolypse is near

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 01:02:19 PM »
I would rather have a backup rifle.  If I had to give an answer I'd say an AK, but I've even seen them go down.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »
I would rather have a backup rifle.  If I had to give an answer I'd say an AK, but I've even seen them go down.

This.  Anything mechanical can, end eventually will, fail.

That said, like the GLOCK series of pistols, the AKs reputation for gravity-like reliability is not wholly undeserved.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »
Top Ten Combat Rifles- AK 47

Most of the other rifles you will see mentioned on this thread will also be discussed in this program.  Look for the links on the right of the youtube page.

My favorite part of this video is when the guy says "When western civilization melts down I want an AK-47."

More seriously, there was a video or article I ran across years ago in which a military commander was discussing why he prefers arming native armies with AK-47s. He liked them because they were cheap and he could train an individual how to use and maintain the AK-47 in a couple of minutes and use just about any lubricant available, be that vegetable or used motor oil.
The Permaculture Podcast

Permaculture Design Certificate
Advanced Permaculture Course in Teaching Certificate
Graduate Student in Parks and Resource Management and Environmental Education

Offline longhaul

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 06:35:18 AM »
I am learning much already - great to hear justification for the AK stated in so many ways... 
Thanks folks - don't mean to start no war...

Offline longhaul

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 06:41:48 AM »
If one were to up the AK's accuracy a notch or three and still keep the reliability, fixability as much as possible, what do people think it would be, given all of the other options developed since the AK.  Nice video link, btw.  Good history.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Martial Tactical Training of Michigan
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »

Let's see what Samuel Jackson has to say on the matter:

Jackie Brown

At 2:10m into this clip he talks about the merits of his choice rifle.

(PS: the movie is Jackie Brown, an excellent show)
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."     -Captain America

See my Examiner.com articles on Emergency Preparations: http://www.examiner.com/detroit-emergency-preparedness-in-detroit/donald-alley

See my Examiner.com articles on martial arts:  http://www.examiner.com/martial-arts-in-detroit/donald-alley

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
Let's see what Samuel Jackson has to say on the matter:

Jackie Brown

At 2:10m into this clip he talks about the merits of his choice rifle.

(PS: the movie is Jackie Brown, an excellent show)

Great flick.  I will point out that the weapon that turned the tide in that movie, was a snub nose .38.  Better the gun in your hand than the gun over there.

Seriously, though, JB was probably QT's best movie.

Offline Peacekeeper1029

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »
Seriously, though, JB was probably QT's best movie.

Are you kidding me?  Best??  Maybe I have to rewatch it again.  I remember thinking it wasn't better than PF or RD. 

"You probably heard we aint in the prisoner taking business, we're in the killing Nazi business and cousin business is a boomin.'"

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »
Are you kidding me?  Best??  Maybe I have to rewatch it again.  I remember thinking it wasn't better than PF or RD. 

"You probably heard we aint in the prisoner taking business, we're in the killing Nazi business and cousin business is a boomin.'"

PF and RD were excellent, no doubt, but RD was a little one dimensional and PF went off on so many different tangents.  Now, don't get me wrong, I would put all three of those movies in my top ten overall.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 12:59:37 AM »
If one were to up the AK's accuracy a notch or three and still keep the reliability, fixability as much as possible, what do people think it would be, given all of the other options developed since the AK.  Nice video link, btw.  Good history.

Just out of curiosity, how much target shooting do you do offhand, and how much from a bench?  Because in most instances you'd need an AK, the accuracy is more than good enough.  Hit a head at 100 meters and a body at 300.  More if you can do your part.  Gabe Suarez can engage a silhouette target at 500 meters with something like 80 percent regularity from prone.  It's not a target rifle, but it'll get the job done.

THat said, if you want a little more accuracy, an AK74 variant in 5.45x39 will usually poke tighter groups in paper.

Angry.mitro

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 01:21:39 AM »
ak 47 faimly to include galil's and valmets

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 09:53:03 AM »
Yeah, but the "pure" AK series variants have better prices on mags.  Galil mags were over $30 a pop last I checked.  74 mags are about $15-18 for good ones, and 47 mags run me about $10-12 a pop.

Goober Pyle

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »
If one were to up the AK's accuracy a notch or three and still keep the reliability, fixability as much as possible, what do people think it would be, given all of the other options developed since the AK.  Nice video link, btw.  Good history.

Sig 556? AK like guts with AR like external features and modularity.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=35

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »
""most reliable, least likely to jam""    AK / SKS

"field maintainable"   AR 15

Offline Peacekeeper1029

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »
Sig 556? AK like guts with AR like external features and modularity.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=35

My Dream Gun.  When I win the Powerball tonight, first thing I do tomorrow is run to "Shoot Straight" and buy me two or three Sig 556's. 

Offline spatin

• Prepper
  • likes FALs
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
There are so many considerations - weight, length, caliber, parts availability, and so on.

I guess the right question would be to ask is which one would you grab out of your safe if you were on foot and could only take one gun? (and maybe a pistol or two)

For me, I like my SKS, but the round is kinda short for anything beyond 100 yds.

I would prefer to take the FAL or the M1A, leaning toward the M1A, but both are pretty heave to haul around for days out in the field.  And the ammo isn't light either.  But if they hit, they put down.  Not like the little mouse guns.

Offline jaegersapper

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
The fancy new stuff will not have repair parts availability when the Schumer hits the fan.  I love my AK and my AR, each have their good and bad points.
JS out

Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe