Author Topic: Newbie ? - do I still need to treat water after Berkey?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline rocklobster

• Fledgling Prepper
Newbie ? - do I still need to treat water after Berkey?
« on: January 08, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Hello All.  My first post on the forum.   I've tried to google this question all over the place and I can't find an answer so I thought I'd ask here.

If I filter water (such as from a river) through a Berkey water filter, do I still need to treat it with Chlorine or boil it before I drink it?   

Best regards,
Joe

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
Re: Newbie ? - do I still need to treat water after Berkey?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »
I looked at the website and it looks like it will do it all for you - as long as the filters are in good shape.  I might just have to get one of these things!  I bet the Berkey guy will chime in soon..

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: Newbie ? - do I still need to treat water after Berkey?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »
Hello All.  My first post on the forum.   I've tried to google this question all over the place and I can't find an answer so I thought I'd ask here.

If I filter water (such as from a river) through a Berkey water filter, do I still need to treat it with Chlorine or boil it before I drink it?   

Best regards,
Joe

Joe,

Great question, all that is needed comes with the berkey system, meaning the black berkey elements.  You can use chlorine to shock the water, but it is not necessary, nor is it necessary to boil the water.

You can use some iodine to kill viruses, but the black berkey elements have been tested to remove some viruses.

theberkeyguy