Author Topic: Master Naturalist AAR  (Read 2946 times)

ReluctantWarrior

Master Naturalist AAR
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:40:53 PM »
I'm taking a master naturalist course for some job training (I'm a nature kayak tour guide) and so far it seems to have lots of useful information for the prepper-minded outdoors folks.  Would any of you be interested in an AAR to be posted here?  It's a three month course, so I could post weekly or monthly depending on what you would want to read.  Here's a link to the course:

http://sc-charlestoncountyparks.civicplus.com/index.aspx?NID=1122

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
Re: Master Naturalist AAR
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Heck yeah I'd like to know more about this.  Post your experiences as you go through it.

Now to see if one is offered around here.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:20:09 AM »
Sounds like a great course, wish they had something up here in Massachusetts like that....

ReluctantWarrior

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
Well, so far the course has been incredible.  Five, count 'em, five highly skilled professional naturalists are teaching it, WITH guest speakers.  So far, I've had two classes, of thirteen total.  It's a nice mix of lecture and field work.  Here's what we've covered:

Reading landscapes: what is happening with a given landscape?  What has happened in the past?  What can you predict will happen in the future?  Clues are given by identifying native and non-native plants and animals, reading water movement and general water behavior, natural and man-made earth formations, etc.  For example, we found some yucca in the middle of a forest.  Yucca was typically planted over grave sights as a defensive plant (it will deliver devastating lacerations) to deter grave robbers.  There was also a small wetland nearby.  Old African American graves were typically planted near water.  These clues led us to the discovery of an uncharted African American cemetery!  The cemetery wa sin the middle of nowhere, in a dence grove of live oaks.  The live oaks were so old and thick that the Yaupon Hollys grew 20 feet before producing leaves (they typically only grow 10 feet and are rather shrub-like).  Much emphasis was given to edges.  Life takes place in the edges.  This is where one type of landscape transitions into another.  Edges can be as big as a coastline or as small as the base of a tree. 

Guest Hydrologist visited and talked about watersheds.  A watershed is a region which encloses a moving water system.  Example would be our local ACE Basin.  The study of watersheds and the life within give many clues to past and future events in a region...everything starts with water.  Trees grow by water, animals and other plants build life around trees and water, etc.  Funny story, the hydrologist was amazing but a fairly obvious global warmist.  He mentioned the irrefutible evidence that global warming is caused by fossil fuel emissions and is the sole cause of rising water levels.  One of the guys in class (a new gun buddy of mine, I might add) asked politely, "So has this ever happened before, when human were not present?"  He answered, flustered, "Well, yes...but...there are cycles."  And changed the subject.

More to come...