Author Topic: Fire starter 4.0  (Read 6258 times)

Offline No Prob Rob

• Prepper
Fire starter 4.0
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:07:13 PM »

Everyone has got their favorite fire starting method. Over the years I have had various fire starter kits. I think I have finally refined it down to something lightweight, simple, weatherproof, and some added functionality thrown in as well. I start with the supplies needed for the build. I decided it wasn't much trouble to go ahead and make a dozen to give as Christmas gifts as well.
Here are the materials required:
geocache container 9/16" diameter X 2.75" long ($1.79)
1/8 " X 2" ferrocerium rod ($1.35)
JB Weld
Cotton Balls
Petrolatum Jelly
Fish hook
30 lb test braided nylon fishing line
hacksaw blade (not shown)

I rough up the spark rod and the container so the JB weld will bond better

Next I mix up the JB weld and take a toothpick and put a thin line of JB weld onto the spark rod. A pair of hemostats help to make the job easier. Needle nose pliers would do as well.

The rod gets placed on the container. Press down gently and make sure the container lies down with the rod facing up to cure for 24 hours. Use the JB Weld sparingly, a little goes a long ways.

Then I take a fish hook and tie on 4-5 feet of line.

I place the hook and line in the bottom of the container then stuff Vaseline soaked cotton balls on top of that. A little fishing line sticks out the top and allows you to pull the cotton out of the container. Plus now you have a survival fishing tool in your kit. Use whatever hook and line best suits your area.

Take a hacksaw blade and put it in a vice then with a pair of vice grips break off about 2 inches of the blade by bending it back and forth. Each end of the blade already has a hole for the ring on the container. I also use the entire blade and break off 2 inch pieces. I punch a hole in the hacksaw blade pieces that don't have a hole so nothing goes to waste. Used and wore out hacksaw blades work fine too. You can sharpen the backside of the blade and now you have an emergency knife that you can use to clean the fish you just caught. I would put some tape over the sharp edge for safety.

I take a small stick and make a split at the top then wedge some cotton in and wrap it around.  If windy you can just place a bit of cotton in your tinder bundle. Use the saw edge of the hacksaw blade to scrape sparks off of the ferro rod.

The hack saw blade is also very helpful in making figure four trap triggers when making small dead falls for rabbit size and smaller game. It will cut the notch straight and smooth with little effort. I figure it cost about $4.00 - $5.00 each to make. I like the fact that I have a fish hook and line, mini saw, knife blade, and fire starter with tinder all rolled into one lightweight waterproof package.

Here are links where you can order ferro rods and the small aluminum containers.
http://www.campingsurvival.com/ferod0013ox2.html
http://theepicenter.com/geocaching_supplies_and_containers.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:29:54 PM by Sister Wolf »
Non semper erit aestas

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Fire starter 4.0
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:10:41 PM »
I have made one very simular kit, but without the fish hook.  I like that, I will have to add a hook to mine.  Thanks for the post

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

“I know you don’t see a ball. Trust me, God has placed a ball right here. You just can’t see it because you faith is not deep enough yet”

Offline No Prob Rob

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »
For what it is worth. The day Fed Ex delivered my package from The Epicenter we were experiencing some bad winds. The next day I found our door mat in the field next to our house. The small package is probably in Kansas by now. Fed Ex told me to bark up a tree when I made a claim. The Epicenter is going to ship me a new batch of containers for free and it was not even their fault.

They get 4 stars in my book for exceptional customer service.
Non semper erit aestas

Offline GunslingR

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:59:29 AM »
Great idea on the cotton wedged into the small stick. Instant homemade match! Wish I'd thought of that. +1

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
Great idea on the cotton wedged into the small stick. Instant homemade match! Wish I'd thought of that. +1

Similar yet not the same is the 'prison match' where you don't have any lighter fluid but the striker still works.  roll up some TP and place a dab of cotton in the top and spark it...
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »
Love it, thanks for sharing!!!
"A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline IowaFreak

• Prepper
    • Iowa Gun Trader
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 05:34:37 PM »
Great!

Thanks for sharing.

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:24:02 PM »
Well, another project for me to do. Thanks for the post.