Author Topic: Herbal correspondence courses  (Read 3687 times)

amanadoo

Herbal correspondence courses
« on: January 02, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
Has anyone taken one, or have any experience with them? I am seriously considering taking the one offered through Rosemary Gladstar's company. There are others, but her physical location is pretty close to me here in Vermont. This type of thing is mostly to deepen your understanding for home and personal use, but of course there are also professional and collegiate programs available to roll it into a career.

I really think a solid base of knowledge about medicinal plants could be beneficial for my family, and in a number of disaster scenarios as well. Anything anyone cares to share about this type of program is welcome!

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Herbal correspondence courses
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
I looked into taking one of the courses a long time ago. I think if it is for general knowledge for you and your family, it would be a good thing to take. I don't know how much good it would do you in the job market, but for what you want it would be a good thing. I might look into it myself.  I've read several of the books that are in the course description, and they are very good comprehensive books that will help a lot.  Good luck and if you end up taking the course, share how you feel it is.

Offline Greatswampa

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »
I got my wife the course with Rosemary Gladstar for her birthday a while back.
She has learned a lot and experimenting is with all sorts of concoctions. She uses me as her guinea pig, and I'm still around  ;D. I know she's had a lot of fun doing it and it definitely is coming in handy already. And the people at the school are very nice to deal with. Hope this helps...
GS

amanadoo

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »
Greatswampa--that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks! Can you tell me about how much you guys spent for the course, above and beyond the original price, for herbs, containers, etc...?

Offline Greatswampa

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:43:15 AM »
Hi,
Here's a link for the correspondence course:

http://www.herbalhomestudycourse.com/

That's the one that my wife took. And it is on sale until Feb 15. Which would give you some money for herbs for the difference. You can also intern in Vermont, but my wife has learned a lot from the home course.
 I would say you'd want a couple hundred bucks for buying supplies, but the sooner you start wildcrafting the better off you are. You can use mason jars or whatever for containers.
 If you have more questions, my wife would be happy to talk to you, just PM me.

Oh, and we don't have any interest or connection to the school if your wondering.
GS

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »
My daughter and I both took an online herbal class last year from the School of Natural Healing.   The basic Family Herbalist.  Their intro class, needed before taking others.   They offer many courses.  It included several pdf books and study guides, mp3's and how to videos.  Lots of great info.   The study guides where basically fill in the blanks, info that was on the tests.   Lots of great information, but I wished it was more of a classroom structure grouped differently, assignments, lessons, instead of going through each book one by one, filling in the blanks.  The videos and mp3's were quite helpful and the books are great resource books.    One of the pdf's book was an intro and told of the legal challenges faced by Dr. Christopher for practicing herbal healing. 

It was on sale at the time.  If you are interested in it, look for someone who is part of their new affiliate program to get $100 off the price.  (Which is the sale price back then).    I've not taken other online herbal classes, so it would be hard to compare. 

http://www.snh.cc/Family_Herbalist.html

Going to the Western Botanical Website I see much of the same teachings. and I believe I heard somewhere that Kyle Christensen was a student of the School of Natural Healing at one time.