Author Topic: Tactical Combat Casualty Care  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
Tactical Combat Casualty Care
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:24:14 AM »
A long but very good article from SurvivalBlog.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/01/tactical-combat-casualty-care.html

Especially interesting for me is phase one "Care Under Fire".

If the casualty is capable of continuing the fight, he should be fighting, not worrying about his boo-boo. It may also be critical for the medic or corpsman to continue to engage the enemy. The following quote, from a doctrinal publication on the subject, refers to this need.

“It may also be necessary for the combat medic or corpsman to help suppress hostile fire before attempting to provide care. This can be especially true in small-unit operations where friendly firepower is limited and every man’s weapon may be needed to prevail.” (Emphasis added-a survivalist group certainly falls under that category!)

5) Defer worrying about airway management tasks until after the fight. (The risk of the casualty choking to death on his own blood or teeth is significantly less than the risk that he will die if the unit is overrun by the enemy. Worry about killing the enemy first.)

Quite different from the Hollywood portrayal of combat where the medic immediately runs (under fire) to the wounded solider and kneels there in the open (under fire) and attempts to save them.

Reality is a bitch, if you get hit and your not already dead...keep fighting.  Especially when you are only a small group and loosing means dying.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
Re: Tactical Combat Casualty Care
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:55:11 PM »
Excellent points.  I believe the sequence being taught to Joe's nowadays is (1) Self-Aid [put on your own tourniquet if you can] (2) Buddy Aid [only after safely pulling him into cover - which probably required a lot of coordinated suppressive fire], and (3) Medic Aid. 

Looking on YouTube you'll find the Aegis "ambush" on Route Irish in Iraq.  In it, some PMC's get lit up while waiting for traffic to clear.  In the opening salvo you hear one of the guys get hit.  Seconds later he's heard on tape saying it's a femoral artery hit.  By the end of the video he has bled out and died. 

You need to act FAST in such a case.  Do you have a tourniquet in an easy-to-get-to place?  Try it some time - you may be surprised.  Some SF/SEAL types actually go into raids with their tourniquets already in place on each arm and leg - just pull tight and twist the windlass to stop bleeding.

I applaud you for being concerned about this - too many people assume it's as easy as putting on a band aid - and most don't even have one of those with their "fighting" gear.

-N

Offline Tosser

• Prepper
  • Punish the deserving...
Re: Tactical Combat Casualty Care
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:21:02 PM »
Without pulling out my old PPTs for TC3..

If you're hit keep fighting to cover, then self aid.

If you're buddy's hit.  You keep fighting and let him do self aid. 

Now its more along the lines of lets kill them first before they kill us, then sort the mess out after the situation has defused...