Author Topic: Vacuum sealer repair  (Read 1704 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Vacuum sealer repair
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:24:49 AM »
I got the vacuum sealer out to seal up a bag of pasta the other day and it didn't work.  The motor would run, but it didn't pull the air out of the bag.  The heat strip works fine also.  I'm going to tear into this thing to see if I can fix it, but I was hoping that someone had a link to some repair manuals or had some recommendations.  It's a FoodSaver brand, but I don't have the model number.  I do know it is one of the low end models.

My thinking is that since the motor is running and the heat strip works, that the problem could be a disconnected hose or maybe clogged hose.  Anyone know the diameter of the hoses used in these things?  Any other ideas of how to fix this thing?

If I can't fix it I'll be getting a new one, but since it doesn't work any more, I can't break it any further.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

mtforge

Re: Vacuum sealer repair
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »
I had trouble with my vacuum sealers and after the second one I realized the weak point was the pump itself. I was a maintenance man in a factory so I could open it up and keep it going but my wife got tired of it not working consistently. I ended up buying a vacuum pump om Ebay and just ran a hose from the new external pump around the on board pump. No more problems.

Offline lawdawg

• Prepper
Re: Vacuum sealer repair
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
My lower end food saver also quit working. Pump would run but wouldn't remove air. Ended up replacing the foam rubber seals. Evidently the wife storing a loaf of bread on top of the unit for prolonged periods of time compressed the sealing surface. hope this helps.